The Unfixed C++ Error Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Myhero View Post
    Then can you explain to me why when I installed UT3 the first time it actually installed some .net framework files? Or why after updating the .net framework Ut3 works for me now, when thats the only thing I did.
    I didn't update any video drivers or replace any hardware.
    My guess would be that those were updates to the C++ runtime DLLs for MSVC++ 8. There are both .NET (CLR) and non-.NET (non-CLR) versions of those if I remember correctly, and I guess it makes sense for MS to make sure they are always distributed together. Anyway, UT3 is (AFAIK) not using .NET.

Comment

New power supply didn't work. But at least I have a shiny new PSU! Woo. Next up: my PC builders are sending a replacement graphics card. Watch this space. Or not.

Comment

Keep your face up m8. We're with you.

Comment

Cheers DrFish. Spangly new 8800 GT (512MB) arrived today to replace my GTS 640. Didn't make one iota of difference to UT3 - haven't tried much else yet. C++ errors will haunt my nightmares tonight! Again.

Comment

Check your RAM, dude. Check the timings, check voltages, check if dust has settled on components. Be paranoid about everything hardware related.

My problem was undervoltaged RAM..

Comment

Well I just re-installed Windows...that was just to get Windows Update working again, mind. Upgrading over the top went horribly wrong for reasons mostly related to my accidental non-insertion of the CD containing my ethernet driver at the right moment. Since it refused to let me install it again, I've had to install Windows afresh. Aaargh. So that's everything gone, but we'll see how UT3 goes if I manage to re-install it again. If...

You know, it WAS only ever UT3 having that error. Also, my memory stood up to stress tests. But still.

Comment

I finally got round to re-installing UT3 today. Guess what - C++ error! But this time I can't even get into the game. The error occurs on startup. This is on a fresh Windows install, with completely clean drivers, the 1.2 patch, the tweaks, everything. I even now have a newer GT graphics card and PSU. I've tried running it -nosound and disabling the X-Fi altogether. WHAT is causing these problems? I'm starting to despair.
                EDIT: Interestingly I read the log after each C++ error startup crash and the log ended at every RAM check, only getting to this:
                Init: Memory stats:
                Init: Physical: 2046MB
                ...then it ends. Makes it look like a RAM issue, but other games have no such problems with RAM. I've also been running a RAM stress test for a few hours now (again), with no results (while using my PC). Furthermore the RAM tester found no issue when I tried to run UT3. Does UT3 just not like my RAM? If that even makes sense. It's odd though how things have got worse since I got a better PSU and graphics card...

Comment

Idon't recall the names of the memory stress programs I used, but, they both said my ram was good. As part of my normal trouble shooting proceedure I removed one of my 2 sticks of memory and ran UT3. Turns out one of the pair (brand new in a brand new system) was bad. Replaced it with new memory and have not had a UT3 only crash since. If you have 2 sticks of ram try carefully removing one, if the same problem happens move the one in the system to another slot. If it happens again then chsnge the stick for the one you pulled earlier and see how it works.

Good luck.

Comment

I'm having the exact same problem...

But my error only occured after I had to keep resetting the machine during lockups at the beginning of the game...(I.E. entire machine freezes then goes to some BSOD that dumps some core or something..)

So, two days ago I once again encountered a lockup and restarted the machine. Now every time I try to launch the game i get this C++ error. I don't even get past the initial logo.

I tried upgrading to the 1.2 patch but no avail. I tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling..but I STILL have the same problem....

Comment

Originally posted by Eldraad View Post
                      Idon't recall the names of the memory stress programs I used, but, they both said my ram was good. As part of my normal trouble shooting proceedure I removed one of my 2 sticks of memory and ran UT3. Turns out one of the pair (brand new in a brand new system) was bad. Replaced it with new memory and have not had a UT3 only crash since. If you have 2 sticks of ram try carefully removing one, if the same problem happens move the one in the system to another slot. If it happens again then chsnge the stick for the one you pulled earlier and see how it works.

Good luck.
                      Did you get the C++ error specifically? And did you encounter any trouble in other games?

Comment

It was not a consistent error type,I was cycling through several. I no longer have my paper scraps with all of the errors and notes written down so I can not say how many times this came up exactly ( went looking online for all the errors that I had-sparse information) .

No other games caused the problem, just UT3. There were several workarounds I found on the web that supposedly would stop the GAME from crashing, but the Editor Always crashed it during a light rebuild.

I see I missed the fact that you run Vista, so there may be other things involved. It is about a five minute test with the memory change if you have 2 sticks (and not 1) and since you have no problems altering your system (pwr supply,video card) at least you should be able to verify the memory this way and not have to think about it later . If yours is the post where the old, good system was given to a friend and your copy of UT3 worked on that then what are the differences between the systems that could cause a good copy (it worked before) of ut3 to have problems on the new system, bios/Motherboard Drivers/vista? Perhaps you could ask for anyone having your type of hardware setup to post if they have the same thing and how they might have fixed it...could be a short cut.

Comment

Nah, I've still got my old system. I could actually sometimes play UT3 for one game only when I had the GTS. Since I got the new PSU, re-installed Windows and got the GT from Chillblast (builders), UT3 won't load at all.

I've only had the one error - Visual C++, and yeah I have Vista. In other games new nVidia drivers have improved stability (Crysis, Bioshock). It's odd that UT3 is now worse than ever. I really ought to do that RAM test...

EDIT: Have just tried the other stick in slot 0. UT3 failed with a C++. Will try now returning original slot 0 stick.
                          EDIT 2: Have tried the original slot 0 stick alone. UT3 failed with a C++. So either both sticks of memory are screwed or neither are. Great!
                          EDIT 3: Let's face it, it's more likely my few-months-old memory is fine. It's survived stress tests and works in other games. Windows recognises it. Etc. However, I'm wondering if it's the GT card that's made things worse - isn't it pretty badly supported by nVidia's Vista ForceWare?

Comment

Hey guys im new to this so here goes. I recently purchased UT3 from Game and as it was there i got the limited edition version. When i got home i installed it on my pc (specs: Windows xp home made by Mesh, Amd Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.02Ghz, 1.00GB Ram nvidia graphics card [as near as i no]). Now I installed it without a problem, set up my little online account in the game and started to play. At first it was fun and I discovered what a brilliant game it is but after about 6 missions in when i started playing 'Warfare' maps the game would freeze and then chuck me out for no reason. I have tried the 'Instant Action' bit and did a 'Warfare' map on that and again it chucked me out.

Now sometimes i get an error message quoting a location in the hard drive to do with the binaries for the game (which i don't have a clue about).

I also recently brought a laptop with Vista so i thought i would try UT3 on there. I installed it ok with one little hitch and guess what as soon as i play a 'Warfare' map it throws me out.

I don't know if this will help but i got a wireless adapter for my computer so i could run laptop and computer at same time on internet. Ever since that it has caused a few problems which i think are down to this 'Belkin@ adapter only being able to send 54Mbps. Am I correct?

Finally one last thing If your going to reply to me please use simple terms as I have no idea what certain things are in my computer if it is nessary then please explain what you mean.

Thanks sorry to go on

Longjohn

Comment

Longjohn, do you get a C++ error message then? Or, er, was your post completely unrelated to this topic? In which case I'd urge you to have a look at some of the other topics.

Comment

You have a personal message with a scant bit of info fond while I was at work...

Comment

Working...
                                X