Internet games are not playable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet games are not playable

I'm on a cable line 6 meg from time Warner and this game online is not very playable. i constantly see my self jitter forward and backwards. and I have a delay when shooting weapons.

also if i'm fighting some one 1v1 my bullets don't seam to be hitting him or going behind him =o.

this is not dial up ! what gives.. i'm at my aunts atm I have dial up at my place

also my ping is showing up at 60-80.
    other games are fine.

maybe I have to enable something to smooth things out? not use to high speed Internet

Make sure you have no running downloads (like P2P) in the background.

It also can be the server lagging.
    UT3 server currently seems to be lacking performance and stability (ping of death -> server has to restart)

Comment

yeah I noticed sever lag when downloading 20 tutorial videos for ut3/gears of war editior =o.

but I even tried it after and have tried multiple servers. I get the same issues. I even went to the game options and set the game from lan to cable and it didnt help any.

I tried a campaign coop today and boy oh boy I thought I joined a dial up server it was so bad..
      every one had a ping of 180 =o

Comment

Originally posted by Vertigo101 View Post
        I'm on a cable line 6 meg from time Warner and this game online is not very playable. i constantly see my self jitter forward and backwards. and I have a delay when shooting weapons.

also if i'm fighting some one 1v1 my bullets don't seam to be hitting him or going behind him =o.

this is not dial up ! what gives.. i'm at my aunts atm I have dial up at my place

also my ping is showing up at 60-80.
        other games are fine.

maybe I have to enable something to smooth things out? not use to high speed Internet
        Yeah, not sure what goes into this. My experience is this:
        - Never had an enjoyable game with over 200 ping. I won't hit anything and will appear to die often for no reason. Stay away.
        - Under 150 ping I'm about 50/50. I've had good games that are very responsive and bad games that have slight lag delays.
        - Under 100 ping (you'd think this would be great) I've had 80% good games, but still a couple that had lots of lag and were unplayable.

Assuming that your computer can play the single-player campaign and instant action without skips and jitters, then your lag experienced is likely being caused by the combination of two things: 1) the latency of the Internet connection between you and the server guy, and 2) the processing speed of the server guy. So maybe on a game with really good ping, I'm getting the guy with the older computer (or the spyware-ridden one) that just can't send the info out fast enough to all the players.

I would suggest that you do a few refreshes before joining a server to make sure the ping time reported is accurate. If it goes way up and way down each time you refresh, then the latency between you and he isn't very stable and you'll see it in the game.

Now, if you NEVER can play a decent game with anyone's server, the problem is likely on your end. When I find a good server, I often don't even notice the lag, even with 8-10 people on it. So it's not the game. I know you said other games are fine, but it may be your aunt's internet provider giving you inconsistent throughput. By other games do you mean other FPS games?

-AK

Comment

Play an online game, hit F6 and see, if there is any packet-loss.

Comment

Other games like call of duty 4 and wow play really nice while gears and ut3 have lots of issues..

I have noticed her connection is having issues like downloading is 500 k for about 10 mins then 32k. then upload is 300 for the same then 15 k =o

I'm going to have her call her isp time warner cable. maybe its on there end.

but I'm home now so I don't dare to try and play on my current dial up with its constant hollowing out and isp server crashes and making it so I can only go to the isp web page =o

Comment

Originally posted by DrFish View Post
              Make sure you have no running downloads (like P2P) in the background.
              This is good advice. I close down all unecessary processes using task manager especially BitTorrent even if nothing is downloading.

Comment

Originally posted by ElDiablo2k3 View Post
                This is good advice. I close down all unecessary processes using task manager especially BitTorrent even if nothing is downloading.
                If you've been using filesharing programs it is a good idea to RESTART your pc, router and cable modem as well by cycling the power. Not many people realize this. Bittorrent especially puts a huge strain on your network no matter what kind you have due to all the connections being made. In fact, if you use bittorrent sometimes people will still be trying to connect to your IP for a while after you've closed the bittorrent app.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the info m8.

Comment

any news about this solved or not? im having exactly the same problem as Vertigo !

Comment

does anyone know why in UT3, with a ping between, say, 50 and 100 ms, there's a delay in the shots you fire? this is not the case in many other online games, including the older UT's and Counter-Strike. with a relatively high ping it's still possible to use a sniper rifle, but not in UT3.

Comment

Working...
                      X