Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FOV bug.

Howdy,

Eagerly awaited my copy of UT3 and when it came i found a large bug in it.

FOV can't be increased past 100.

I installed the latest patches and everything, i figure this was just overlooked somehow.

I'm running a matrox triple head to go, at 3840x1024 resolution. I pretty much need a FOV of 120 or the game is unplayable. You can only see half of the enforcer how it is.

I'm calling this a bug/ over sight because i really hope it is. Serious Sam one supported my resolution and FOV, and that games about a decade old.

I'm also serverly worried that if they limited the Unreal engine to 100 FOV, well most games made on it would be balls.

Also how do i get in touch with epic's QA / tech support emails?. They kinda need to know of this quickly so they can perform the 3 second fix that it is. Want it to be apart of the next patch badly!!

Comment

What resolution are you running? Is it a wide screen format? What is your display device's native resolution? Are you editing the UTEngine.ini directly, or just going from the settings menu? This one is part of the 1.1 patch, so make sure you have that installed.

I was just browsing the .ini files and I did notice some interesting shiz. For example, everyone knows about this in the UTEngine.ini:
      FOVAngle=90.000000

But in the UTGame.ini on line 107:
      OnFootDefaultFOV=100.000000

and lower down, on line 1834 there's a whack of settings seemingly related to the new slider in the settings menu:
      [PlayerFOV UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
      OptionSet=AdvancedVideo
      DataStoreMarkup=<Registry:PlayerFOV>
      OptionType=UTOT_Slider
      bRemoveOn360=True
      bRemoveOnPS3=True
      RangeData=(MinValue=80,MaxValue=100,bIntRange=1,Nu dgeValue=1,CurrentValue=90)

Note that I haven't tested this myself as the game works just fine for me at 16:9 but there are tons of hits when you Google "[PlayerFOV UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]"

Comment

I've looked around and the only way past 100 is through a mutator.

This screws online gaming in it's proverbial *******.

Editing the ini's was my first path before, but it didn't change the FOV if i set it higher than 100.

Just something a programming needs to code in for about 2 minutes. (actually it's probably just editing numbers).

Cheers for your help but dude.

Can't wait till it's patched. XD.

And for the record, it's a triple head to go by matrox, turns 3 (4:3) screens into one. Giving effectively a 3840x1024 resolution and 12:3 aspect ratio or 24:6 or 32:9 lol.

Looking at that it's 2wice as wide as a normal 16:9 aspect ratio. Makes playing games fantastic.... when they support it of course. (for Ut3 this should be trivial).

Comment

I haven't heard much about this at all lately, and i'm reluctant to start playing again when it seems the situation has not changed in the slighest.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com...l_Tournament_3

Is there some way i can get into direct contact with Epic's support?. Rather than through forums. I understand that they are busy and most likely don't read these forums. However i still believe this problem needs to be addressed.

The only way i can play on my system is with a mutator, which defeats the purpose of why i bought this game (the online play). So the options i have present is

1) Hope Epic's developer's increase the FOV slider to at least 130. or

2) Run around and ask every server i ever want to play on to install this mutator. Which is hacky, and will be hard to do.

Aside from that the only other way would be to use *cheats* just so the game actually runs.... i would rather avoid such shady things.

Comment

There is nothing to do about it, people have been screaming about it since the demo but the devs seem to think it's np. This is one of the reasons my copy of UT3 have started to collect dust. Bought a widescreen to enjoy the game but got screwed, not buying another screen so gg.

Comment

Sooo it's been a year of being absolutely dissapointed with Epic games.

I heard a new patch is in the works.

Will this patch finally have some proper widescreen support!?. Or is epic just laughing their asses of that they took my money and gave me an unplayable game.

Btw the main competitors to unreal. (which i view as source engine games, and possibly far cry 2), either support it natively, or are working on a patch to support it.

**** like this loses you sales. I aint going to buy UT4, if EPIC manages to stay afloat by then. I think the future of your company is questionable if you ignore valid bugs/problems and go 'oh well we have your money already, suck it'.

Comment

Originally posted by Yojimbo_X View Post
                Sooo it's been a year of being absolutely dissapointed with Epic games.

I heard a new patch is in the works.

Will this patch finally have some proper widescreen support!?. Or is epic just laughing their asses of that they took my money and gave me an unplayable game.

Btw the main competitors to unreal. (which i view as source engine games, and possibly far cry 2), either support it natively, or are working on a patch to support it.

**** like this loses you sales. I aint going to buy UT4, if EPIC manages to stay afloat by then. I think the future of your company is questionable if you ignore valid bugs/problems and go 'oh well we have your money already, suck it'.
                Lol..
                Theres people with way more issues than you and they don't fuss about it ...
                I'm actually fine with FOV 100 tho I would indeed want a 120 but theres way more stuff to bother me than the FOV.

If you can't handle a 100 FOV maybe you just shouldn't play the game at all.
                And seriously wtf would you need a 3 way monitor to play UT3, seems like your playing from 100 feet away or something.

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooMaster View Post
                  What a BS statement.

FOV needs to be adjustable beyond 100, PERIOD. My game feels so frigging slow I barely play it now. Im waiting to see if this issue is addressed in the next patch/update/expansion pack, and if its not, I will retire my copy of UT3.

Comment

Originally posted by Funeral_Dancer View Post
                    What a BS statement.

FOV needs to be adjustable beyond 100, PERIOD. My game feels so frigging slow I barely play it now. Im waiting to see if this issue is addressed in the next patch/update/expansion pack, and if its not, I will retire my copy of UT3.
                    No what you just said is BS, droping a game just because of low FOV ...
                    I'm not ranting on but it is funny making a BIG issue out of FOV, I agree that the game with FOV set at 120 is more enjoyable but this is just the lamest excuse to drop a game.

Comment

How hard can it be to change the limit? They need to do it ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Yojimbo_X View Post
                        Also how do i get in touch with epic's QA / tech support emails?. They kinda need to know of this quickly so they can perform the 3 second fix that it is. Want it to be apart of the next patch badly!!
                        Welcome.

Good luck getting their attention. I too have wanted a higher FOV for the longest time. 16:10 needs 107degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooMaster View Post
                          Lol..
                          Theres people with way more issues than you and they don't fuss about it ...
                          I'm actually fine with FOV 100 tho I would indeed want a 120 but theres way more stuff to bother me than the FOV.

And seriously wtf would you need a 3 way monitor to play UT3, seems like your playing from 100 feet away or something.
                          What a terrible attitude. Could you be any less helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by soccerballtux View Post
                            What a terrible attitude. Could you be any less helpful.
                            Check my posts around here, the majority of them are indeed helpfull or try to be.

The sad part is that alot of people here take everything rather seriously, and make a fuss about it.

Chillout, seriously.

Comment

Sorry, i don't feel like buying a special extra monitor to just play UT3.... if you can do that you really have some money to burn. Not to mention having it sitting there while i play games that do support my big monitor would annoy me too.

At this point i wish i actually had UT3 installed. So i could give you screen shots of what it looks like. However i haven't installed it in months and months. I actually finished the game while my monitor was being fixed, but now that it's been repaired for a long time, i haven't played it once.

Suffice to say, HUGE portions of the top and bottom of a normal 4:3 aspect ratio have been chopped away. It makes you feel ill. It looks absolutely terrible.

If a game displays itself in such a disgusting way, then yeah it's not such a bad reason to drop it. In fact your argument makes little sense. If you don't see a problem with the FOV, that's because your monitor probably works alright with upto 100 FOV. You talk asif you would like to have your fov at 120, but if it works at your monitor at 100 what's the point?.

FOV is static based on the aspect ratio of your monitor. If you just change the FOV for the hell of it, you have no idea what is really happening to the people who need larger FOVs.

EDIT:

Also the reason that this is such a big problem, is a programmer made a mutator to correct this problem. However this won't work online, so your stuck with the ugly pictures instead.

The fact that someone can make this in a mutator, means it's not hard to accomplish at all. It's just EPIC being bloody lazy, and really only caring that money has been paid to them already.

I can't play UT3 on this system, but i can't return it either....

EDIT again:

Because now you won't be able to use ignorance as an excuse

What it looks like in proper games.
                              [shot]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2074/geobethpbingzp3.jpg[/shot]

How UT3 would stretch it
                              [shot]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7725/stretchedew0.jpg[/shot]

Stretching it out like that, looks like ****. Plain and Simple.

Some of you will notice the screenshots are from garrysmod. A source engine game. I wasn't going to go reinstall UT3 just to show people how badly EPIC dropped the ball.

Comment

Working...
                              X