Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BSOD on Vista :(

Howdy folks,
    I've basically just come out of a clean Vista install since family friends looking after our house managed to effectively kill XP. Not a day ago I backed up every piece of info on the old computer, installed Vista, recovered needed documents (basically just photos and old word docs) before wiping any trace of the old setup from the system.

The problem before seemed to be some fatal error with all the drivers (everything from the mouse and keyboard, network, etc etc).

As a bit of a reward for 4 days of working around this, I got myself UT3. I should point out that for some reason my computer was reluctant to read the CD - even the old POS out the back could read it, but this wouldn't. I got past that, installed the game, but now...

Whenever I start the game, with or without cd, it goes to the splash screen, then black for a couple of seconds and then BSOD.

I don't remember having any problem like this for a long time.

The error code is:
    0x00000050
    It mentions that Nv4_mini.sys is doing something... that'd be my videocard, I'd say.

I'm running:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
    1gig of Corsair ram (forget which type and windows doesn't like me checking :P)
    Nvidia Geforce 7900 GT/GTO

I've tried what I can from the mighty tweak thread provided, but whatever seems to be somewhat related to my problem hasn't seemed to work.

Microsoft support said that turning hardware acceleration off was a bet, but when trying to entire that screen I get another BSOD:
    0x0000008e, with Nv4_disp.dll being brought up as the culprit.
    When accessing this in safe mode I can move the slider but apparently I can't actually apply the settings... so hardware acceleration is at full.

Other info that might be helpful:
    Trying to access other bits of Windows advanced settings often brings up that second BSOD.

I guess that when I did the disk cleanup most of the drivers from my old computer were deleted. The Nvidia CD wasn't compatible with Vista, so I downloaded what seemed to be the latest drivers for my card and motherboard.

Thanks for the help, if you need any more info just ask.

It's much appreciated

Update your graphic cards driver to the newest version. If already so, your system is instabil. Set your BIOS config to default values and dont overclock. Rise ram voltage + 0.1 to increase stability.

Comment

AND dont tweak your windows. This is completely useless and will lead to more problems. If the system is running fine after setting BIOS values to default and increasing ram voltage, you should nreinstall Vista 64BIt, and only stick driuvers and your favorite software on it. DONT USE TUNING TOOLS DONT MAKE SETTINGS WICH WILL DISABLE SERVICES DONT TURN OFF SECURITY FEATURES LIKE USER "USERCONTROL"

Comment

Thankyou very much! This seems to have fixed the problem.

Just to make sure, I updated drivers again in device manager and apparently there was another update for my card (odd, it said I was up to date earlier). Also I set it to default in BIOS and upped the 'DDRAM termination voltage' from 0.5 to 0.6

I assume that was the right value to change, I could not find anything else to do with RAM voltage, I'm not completely at home with BIOS.

I haven't played yet, but it starts fine and I can navigate menus no problem.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

After some testing you shpould reinstall windows to ensure all dta files are not corrupted in some way by your faulty ram. But wait a few days.

Comment

Oh, do you have ddr3? Maybe its not RAM voltage, and you should increase this setting only to 0.55 testwise. In this Voltrange 0.1V is very much,and may be dangerus.

Search for DIMM Voltage. On DDr2 systems Standard is 1,8V, and on old DDr1 machines 2,6V at DDR400. Dont have DDr3, and you should look wich voltage is standard for them. raise it only in a range of 0,05 or 0,1Volt

Comment

Thankyou, I shall try that soon and let you know what happens.

At the moment, for no particular reason, after a certain amount of time in one match all objects started flickering - people, vehicles, buildings etc.

My next match there seemed to be a problem with lighting or loading certain parts as they turned bright white or black and I could not see certain sections. Is this another problem with my ram, or are my settings not right?

Thanks again.

Comment

Format C:

XP CD > drive

Install.exe

Comment

Originally posted by Aimless View Post
                  Thankyou, I shall try that soon and let you know what happens.

At the moment, for no particular reason, after a certain amount of time in one match all objects started flickering - people, vehicles, buildings etc.

My next match there seemed to be a problem with lighting or loading certain parts as they turned bright white or black and I could not see certain sections. Is this another problem with my ram, or are my settings not right?

Thanks again.
                  Maybe your graphic card is overheating.

@ username2109863423

Format C: doesnt work in a Windows session, because the HDD is locked. And Install.exe doesnt exist for any Microsoft OS installation, only setup.exe or different on NT systems.

Go ahead, and play Lego... And dont write such nonsense ****. Isnt funny.

Comment

Originally posted by username2109863423 View Post
                    Format C:

XP CD > drive

Install.exe
                    Yes, just blame it on the OS when its Vista and blame it on the game or something else when its XP. LMFAO

Comment

Working...
                    X