Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to start UT3

Hey,

I just got my copy of UT3 and have installed it but now I can't start the program. It begins to load (the splash screen shows up for around 10 seconds) but then it closes. There are no error messages and I can't see any problems. I previously installed and ran the demo without any problems, so I am not sure what it could be??

Here is the spec of my (newly built) PC. I am wondering if there is a hardware conflict or a known issue?

MB: Abit IP35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 630 with HT (3.0GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, FSB800), LGA775 (to be replaced with 45nm chip when out)
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz Dual Channel Kit
    PSU: Corsair HX 520W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU (CMPSU-520HXUK)
    HD: Seagate ST3250410AS 250GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache – OEM
    DVD Drive: Pioneer DVR 212BK 18X SATA DVD±RW DL Int Black OEM
    GPU: OcUK GeForce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail
    Wireless: Belkin Wireless G Desktop Network Card F5D7000UK V3
    Sound Card: EMU 0404
    Monitor: OcUK Value L2442W 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor

Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by Xarr View Post
    Hey,

I just got my copy of UT3 and have installed it but now I can't start the program. It begins to load (the splash screen shows up for around 10 seconds) but then it closes. There are no error messages and I can't see any problems. I previously installed and ran the demo without any problems, so I am not sure what it could be??

Here is the spec of my (newly built) PC. I am wondering if there is a hardware conflict or a known issue?

MB: Abit IP35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 630 with HT (3.0GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, FSB800), LGA775 (to be replaced with 45nm chip when out)
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz Dual Channel Kit
    PSU: Corsair HX 520W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU (CMPSU-520HXUK)
    HD: Seagate ST3250410AS 250GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache – OEM
    DVD Drive: Pioneer DVR 212BK 18X SATA DVD±RW DL Int Black OEM
    GPU: OcUK GeForce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail
    Wireless: Belkin Wireless G Desktop Network Card F5D7000UK V3
    Sound Card: EMU 0404
    Monitor: OcUK Value L2442W 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor

Thanks for any help.

tried reinstalling the game?

Comment

Yup, uninstalled and reinstalled straight away as well as trying a few restarts, still no luck.

Comment

patched the game?

Comment

Prepare for stupid question:

How? Why?

Comment

The official patch is 1.1 and resolves UI and multiplayer issues for the most part, for crashes/hangs. Read Ultron's Tweaks sticky post and make some changes to your UTEngine.ini file. Tons of people have had this problem and you you should try some of the self help first.

Comment

I have installed the 1.1 patch and that didn't solve it. I looked at Ultrons post but none of the issues there could be affecting this. Anyone else got any ideas on what I could try?

Comment

Originally posted by Xarr View Post
                I have installed the 1.1 patch and that didn't solve it. I looked at Ultrons post but none of the issues there could be affecting this. Anyone else got any ideas on what I could try?
                You can't possibly know what is affecting this, there are far too many variables at play. I thought I had my crashes pegged as audio issues when to my surprise, my graphics drivers were to blame. The first thing you should do is set all of the .ini "hacks" to ensure your game is providing the most compatible working environment possible.

UT3 is extremely sensitive to overclocking and aggressive memory timings so if you have your BIOS tweaked, try starting with more conservative settings (load BIOS defaults, maybe?)

nTune has been reported to cause problems for UT3. Uninstalling seems to resolve these issues.

AVG anti virus has been reported to cause problems for UT3. I had this program on my gaming PC and switched to Avast anti virus.

Disable OpenAL support in the UTEngine.ini because this has been known to cause crashes (yes, yet another possible cause.)

If all of those fail, and the failed for my on my XP machine, try completely uninstalling your graphics card drivers in safe mode with Driver Sweeper and reinstall Forceware 169.28.
                http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=driversweeper

Comment

Working...
                X