Regarding the recent Hitching / FPS drop issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding the recent Hitching / FPS drop issues

I was one of the victims receiving this issue, It started happening not too long ago out of nowhere. I originally thought it was a driver issue because i do remember updating my drivers, I have done every possible recommendation including using driver cleaner, uninstalling and reinstalling every possible driver there is ( I am using an 880gts 640, E6850 @3.3Ghz), def ragging, modifying the php ini, Nothing seemed to work.

This is exactly what happens, The game itself does not go under 60 FPS at all, it may go down to 50+ then get back to 60 ( Yea very smooth gameplay), All of a sudden the FPS will drop to 13-14, and then go back to 60. When this happens, i notice that both CPU's suddenly use 100% which is very strange. I then tried the -one thread shortcut modification , i immediately noticed that this problem went away, and the cpu usage would be around 30-40%!. So i thought my problems were solved and didn't think anything of it.

I then played on a bigger map and the hitching came back but not as frequent as before. I then played Bioshock and experienced the same thing, i experienced the same exact issue in Crysis also, TWO different game engines.

So right now im trying to figure out what else i could be causing this problem, pretty much every game i play has this problem, the only thing i have not tried yet was a format/ reinstall. So wow, maybe a windows update caused this? I really can't put my finger on it, i will try the reinstall to see what that does.

Please leave some feedback

Try Driver Sweeper. I was stable with every game I had until UT3. I was using Forceware 169.13 (the latest at that time) and ran a sweep in safe mode, completely wiping all traces of this and previous drivers. I then installed the same drivers, 169.13 and I haven't had a crash since. I successfully upgraded to 169.28 without a sweep, but an older driver left something bad on my system I guess. Try it out!

http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=driversweeper

Comment

I have figured out that this only happens on games that use DX9, i play ffxi that uses DX8 components and i get no freezing / hitching at all... very strange

Comment

Sounds like the problem I have. I don't have a multicore CPU though.

Comment

Working...
        X