Sound blaster live and openAL in Vista?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound blaster live and openAL in Vista?

hi guys, in the unreal tournament 3 tweakguide over at tweakguides.com i read that enabling openAL in UT3 settings would allow for hardware accelerated sound effects in Vista without the use of the special creative ALchemy drivers.

now i have a Sound Blaster Live! Value laying around here. but as you guys may know there are no decent drivers for running it under vista. also there are no creative ALchemy drivers for it.

now my question is, will this sound card work with hardware acceleration through the openAL setting under UT3?

i am asking this because I know this sound card will give me better sound than the crappy onboard thing and this one support EAX2 which is better than no EAX at all

so my question is, is there any use of putting this sound card into my rig, or am I doomed to buy another expensive card which will have no driver support in two years (like all the cards at creative do). any user experiences with this card running under vista and UT3 are welcome.

thanks in advance for your help.

no one who knows about this?

Comment

As i know, only audigy and X-FI supports native openal. but try it, nothing will be damaged.

Buy an X-FI or audigy, and be happy. Audigy is superior against the crappy, powerless Live!
      And the X-FI cards are able to run on Windows XP with Vista drivers and full support of EAX and Directsound/OpenAL.

Comment

Originally posted by [FfFC]_-(MAD)-_ View Post
        As i know, only audigy and X-FI supports native openal. but try it, nothing will be damaged.

Buy an X-FI or audigy, and be happy. Audigy is superior against the crappy, powerless Live!
        And the X-FI cards are able to run on Windows XP with Vista drivers and full support of EAX and Directsound/OpenAL.
        aha good. i'll keep an eye open for some second hand audigy near me...
        and when i get my rig i'll give the SB live a try to see how it works

Comment

Working...
        X