Is my crash any different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my crash any different?

So, I have been on these forums from the beginning when the game first came out, and have been through every tweak guide, every patch, every 'fix' and none have even changed my problem a little bit. Everytime I play, completely randomly, my screen gets all these red or black or red and black squares, strange lines, or general odd shapes and colors, and completely locks up. I HAVE to manually power down the system, and I never get a blue screen. This is really upsetting, as a lot of the posts claim that they fix the problem but none so far have helped me. Is this the problem that most people have or is mine unique? Any help is greatly appriciated, I would really like to get through one multiplayer map without crashing. Oh yea, when it crashes, the squares appear, and the last sound played repeats over and over. I have the updated game.
    Intel Board DWH
    8800GT
    Creative X-Fi Platinum Edition
    Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8ghz
    2 Gigs ram
    Sata Hard Drive
    Windows Xp Sp2

Please god someone have a solution for me!! Also, a buddy of mine has basically the same specs, minus the xfi card and he has vista, and he crashes the exact same. I just need... a suggestion. This is an epic fail.

did u delete the ini's in the config map after installing the 1.1 patch ?
    This should always be done after installing a patch for unreal engine games.
    Also have you tried the latest NV drivers ?

Comment

Many people say that the new "nvidia beta drivers" solved lots of problems concerning stability and performance for them. Download them and see what happens (i suggest to make a backup before you install them). Could you also please submit a screenshot where those red and blue squares can be seen?

Comment

I will try to take a screenshot of what happens tonight, but I only have like, 2 seconds to take a screenshot before the computer locks up completely. Also, I deleted the whole my games directory, and had unreal rebuild all of the .ini's etc - but it didn't work. I have the nvidia 169.28 driver, and it was installed via the driver cleaner pro, safe mode cleanup method. I have all the latest updates for windows xp and unreal. I have the latest drivers for the creative card as well, and have tried the openal fix, and just turning it on and off. The freezes happen much more often on maps like Corruption VCTF than any other map combined. If I play corruption, my computer usually freezes every 5 minutes. Other stages will be much less, basically like every 15 to 30 min.

To epic, I love this game. LOVE it, but its almost impossible to play. Please release something that will make this game more stable. Anyone have any other suggestions for me?

Comment

These black and red squares, are there a lot of them? Could be a bad card if there are. Graphics get screwed up when the card is bad. Did you try lower the ram and gpu on the card? Did you search your card for none problems. A pic would help.

Oh disregard my post if this is just in UT.

Comment

i have the very same problem

after about one hour of playing the screen locks up and i get red squares

now this issue only appears with UT

i can run crysis at medium settings without any hick-up of the system, high settigs are fine but some hick-ups do appear

i say this is a UT problem, i've been playing computer games for over 15 years and i have never seen a game this buggy as ut.I've played unreal, unreal tournament 2000/2003/2004. Never had any problems but now, i'm seriously ****** of

Not to mention there are only about 100 people playing online at night. Acoording to me, UT is DEAD on the PC. Console bithes own the place and EPIC will regret this, and their lack of any effort.

Comment

The graphical anomalies you describe are often related to heat issues. Google for a heat monitor for your 8800GT, or just open your case and have a look to be sure the fan is going when the game is on.

Is anything on your system overclocked? Did you apply the UTEngine.ini fixes to the file at My documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config\? Are you running AVG Anti-virus? If so, get a different one (I had to switch to Avast.) Have you checked this FAQ:

http://www.unrealaddicts.com/forums/...-demo-faq.html

Comment

Yes, same here. I play oblivion, crysis, wow and many many others. Never had this problem at all, with any of them, only UT3. Its very strange. It's always completely random, but guaranteed to happen. Over usually 3 to 5 hours of playing it probably happens 10 or so times. It might be 5 min into the game, or an hour. Its definitely not a heat issue, as that was the first thing i checked out. Bad card maybe? I will check into that.

Comment

Originally posted by ninja24 View Post
                  Yes, same here. I play oblivion, crysis, wow and many many others. Never had this problem at all, with any of them, only UT3. Its very strange. It's always completely random, but guaranteed to happen. Over usually 3 to 5 hours of playing it probably happens 10 or so times. It might be 5 min into the game, or an hour. Its definitely not a heat issue, as that was the first thing i checked out. Bad card maybe? I will check into that.
                  bad card???

Like you said you can play other game without any problem. Same as me: oblivion, cod4, quake enemy territory, crysis, fear, ... no problem at all.

UT3: random freezes with the red squares: if it is a heat issue or bad card, than other games would have the same issue.

Comment

OKAY! I finally was able to take screenshots of my problem.. hopefully this may help others as well.
                    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...enshot0001.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...enshot0006.jpg

Comment

I would think a bad card or OC. Either way if my pc did that I would be very concerned something was crapping out. Does your card come OC and have you tried lowering the speed and turning the fan up on it? I’d also look in the BIOS and also lower the ram speed and make sure nothing isn’t OC and if anything running under. Just shooting at straws that something wasn’t running to there specs.

A two foot fan blowing in the pc, disable stuff like sound and net work and closing all other software, swap the card out, reinstalling the game, reinstalling the OS. Personally I would point to the card and think that pic is a little extreme just for a driver problem, but hay.

Comment

well, the strange thing is, like I had said before, unreal is the only game that does this. Also, two of my friends who have basically the same setup as me, except are running vista, get this exact same crash. I have 5 fans in my computer running full speed all the time, so my computer stays cool and my video card is not overclocked at all, nor is my ram. I installed vista today, with the nvidia 169.28 drivers. Will let you know if that worked.

Comment

It might be worth it to give Driver Sweeper a try. It helped another guy with wierd blurring problems and it fixed my crash issues. Boot in safe mode, run the Sweep application and completely remove all of your display drivers and related files and registry keys. Then install the latest betas and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Working...
                          X