UT3 freeze/hitch/pause while loading and in-game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 freeze/hitch/pause while loading and in-game

Since I installed UT3, I've been having problems with it pausing (as well as FPS problems). This seems different than the pausing problems others are having where it's only in-game and it's 5-10+ seconds for them.

For me, when I play in campaign mode, every time I load a new map, there are several 1-3 second pauses while the voiceover is explaining the scenario. The the mouse freezes, and the loading animation stops, then a fraction of a second later, the sound stops (the delay here is probably because the sound card had some buffered data). This pause lasts 1-3 seconds. After the pause, it picks up mid-word where it was. This typically happens 1-4 times during a load (and this is 100% repeatable for me). It happens 1-2 times for each bullet item in the scenario description.

When in-game, these pauses happen every once in a while; however, these pauses are often just a fraction of a second in-game (though sometimes 1-3 seconds long too).

I've tried modifying various .ini settings as suggested in the forums, but to no avail. I've lowered the resolution to 720x480 and put all quality settings to the lower possible. I have also followed the instructions in http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?p=25112524. Some of those suggestions make gameplay a little better, some a little worse; but none get rid of the pauses.

One forum suggestions is to use the NVidia 169.28 beta drivers. Unfortunately, they do not exist (at least on the nvidia site) for my OS, so I can't try that suggestion right now.

I do not have these problems with any other game including UT2004.

System specs:
    • UT: the retail version with the 1.1 patch installed
    • CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600
    • RAM: 4GB
    • Hard drives: RAID 0 on some Seagate 10-series drives
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P
    • Sound card: ALC889A (the built-in one). Drivers: 6.0.6000.16386 from Microsoft
    • Video card: GeForce 8800GTS 320MB (XFX PV-T80G-GHE4), 169.25 drivers (latest from nvidia)

Any suggestions?

Good for you for trying some of the suggestions in the stickies!

Try using the 169.28 drivers specially made by nVidia to address the problems with UT3. Vista version is available here:
    http://www.gamershell.com/news/44357.html

Are you sure you set this section in the UTEngine.ini and not DefaultEngine.ini? The pauses and hitches are supposed to be remedied by this part of the UTEngine.ini:
    [SystemSettings]
    OnlyStreamInTextures=True

I would first remove all traces of your current drivers by running Driver Sweeper in safe mode:
    http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=driversweeper

Post back your results!

Comment

Originally posted by alcom77 View Post
      Good for you for trying some of the suggestions in the stickies!

Try using the 169.28 drivers specially made by nVidia to address the problems with UT3. Vista version is available here:
      http://www.gamershell.com/news/44357.html

Are you sure you set this section in the UTEngine.ini and not DefaultEngine.ini? The pauses and hitches are supposed to be remedied by this part of the UTEngine.ini:
      [SystemSettings]
      OnlyStreamInTextures=True

I would first remove all traces of your current drivers by running Driver Sweeper in safe mode:
      http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=driversweeper

Post back your results!
      This what fixed all my hitching problem on my 8800GTS. Make sure you uninstall all the old drivers first and run a program like Drive Cleaner or Driver Sweeper to get any remnants.

If you don't do the above procedure and hitching persists, that is the reason.

Comment

I don't have any proof of this other than an extension of previous experience, however, it is my opinion that these pauses are the result of Vista resetting the video drivers.

In previous versions of the drivers, the game would pause like this and eventually Vista would pop up its 'video drivers have been reset' window, you'd click OK and find yourself in an endless loop of the drivers being reset. With the newer (newest) versions of the drivers, the pauses are occurring but no message window and it is possible to continue with the game...until the next pause. Also, the pauses are less frequent now.

I don't really know that the resetting of the drivers is the current problem but the behaviors are sufficiently similar that it seems to me that the current pauses are the result of the previous problem being almost fixed.

Comment

I am having the exact same symptoms as OP running UT3 on windows XP, running the latest nvidia stable for 8800GTS. I'll try the beta drivers and post back here after =X

Comment

I got the 169.28 drivers, but it didn't help. I also reinstalled the game, but still no success. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Lucky yours only studders for a few seconds; mine totally locks up with a hard reboot soon to follow by my hand. I thought It was the video card my first rma got rid of the video driver issue crashing ; it was caused by lack of cooling on the mofsets / But reguarldess, even after another rma, I still get the hard lockup. Newer driver didn't help me at all either/ I am getting upwards of 150 fps tho.

Comment

HorizonX, Booner and PingFreak: Did you completely uninstall the old drivers? I never needed to do this for any other game. Installing new drivers over the old ones worked just fine for STALKER, NFSPS, Crysis and every other game I ever played. The drivers I removed were the same ones I installed after the sweep, the only difference being that this time the only libraries present on my system were those specific to that driver set. No additional garbage. I cannot stress enough how important this step is. It worked for me and a few other people too (like MSNY posted above).

Comment

Working...
                X