What to upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to upgrade?

Well hello there. I've read a lot of threads on hardware now, however I would like some specific advice. I just bought UT3 and it runs okay with graphics pretty **** low. My setup is:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (2 GHz).
    Nvidia 6600 GT
    1 GB of ram

If I had to choose one thing, what would be the best to upgrade? Personally, I'm thinking the CPU. I'm thinking of upgrading it to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3 GHz.
    Any advice?

yea upgrade the processor. also another gig of RAM wouldnt hurt.

Comment

Okay, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by RebL View Post
        Well hello there. I've read a lot of threads on hardware now, however I would like some specific advice. I just bought UT3 and it runs okay with graphics pretty **** low. My setup is:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (2 GHz).
        Nvidia 6600 GT
        1 GB of ram

If I had to choose one thing, what would be the best to upgrade? Personally, I'm thinking the CPU. I'm thinking of upgrading it to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3 GHz.
        Any advice?
        Your kinda stuck on that. If you upgrade the cpu, your gpu will still require you to run at like 800x600 with 1-1 quality. If you just upgrade your gpu, your cpu will limit you.

Make sure the cpu you buy has 2x1MB cache, the top Windsors are good choices for an upgrade if you have the AM2 socket, do not fall for just the numbers or black box ****.

You also need to upgrade your gpu if you want the screen res to be 1024x768 or higher. You can pick up a 8600GTS with 256MB and 675Mhz core clock for about $150. Be careful which 8600 card you get, there are like 40 different ones ranging in price from $80 to $300 and vary in performance by a factor of 5. The core clock has to be 675MHz, it has to have DDR3 memory or it will suck. There are better cards, but this one is cheap and it does not have driver issues like the newest cards do. You can always upgrade to a super card later when the prices drop and if the driver issues are resolved.

Comment

Working...
        X