FIXED! HD3850 poor performance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIXED! HD3850 poor performance.

I'm posting this just in case anyone else has this problem with poor frames per second, stuttering with half decent graphics.

I bought UT3 a couple of days ago and thought I'd be ok with my older X1800XT 256MB, the performance was lousy virtually everywhere, dipping down to 15 at resolutions down to 800x600 with low settings for detail, stuttering, unplayable really. So I went out and got myself a HIS HD3850, 765 Core, 980 Mem (1960 effective), still the frames per second was rubbish, I just couldn't suss it out. For reference my system is 4GB of 800Mhz DDR2, A64 6400+, basically a good gaming rig, I was using the latest Cat 7.12s.

Fixed it by changing my power management settings, I had got it on "Power saver" in the control panel in Vista (32bit by the way), this was setting my CPU to 50% max and possibly the PCIX power saving option in advanced was also having an effect, changed the power profile to "High perfomance" and the game just came alive, my X1800XT was almost certainly fine really, but nevermind I got a new card out of it...

regards,
    J.

Originally posted by bridder View Post
    Fixed it by changing my power management settings, I had got it on "Power saver" in the control panel in Vista (32bit by the way), this was setting my CPU to 50% max and possibly the PCIX power saving option in advanced was also having an effect, changed the power profile to "High perfomance" and the game just came alive, my X1800XT was almost certainly fine really, but nevermind I got a new card out of it...
    That's a great tip! I've never even thought to check that.

/shuffles off to check his control panel...

Comment

i think that was one of the first things ive changed back when i installed Vista.
      Power settings are only really useful for laptops

Comment

Im one of the ones gettting bad performance with the New 3800 series cards but im on windows xp so i dion't have the same power options as you, I've tried so much to sort this and to no avail.

Comment

xp has power options...

+ bridder are you aware that not all of your ram is being addressed by your OS because it's only 32 bit?

Comment

I know it has power options ^^ But it doesnt seem to have the otpion or equvilant option that the author of this thread was mentioning.

Comment

other games had to suffer from this also.

Comment

No they havent just UT is poor for me, What else can i try?

Comment

Adding this to my thread.

Comment

cool, only works for laptops though.

Comment

Originally posted by bridder View Post
                      my X1800XT was almost certainly fine really, but nevermind I got a new card out of it...
                      It surely was since i can play with almost full detail at 1024x768 with a X1650Pro...

Comment

Working...
                      X