Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a new pc - what specs do i need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a new pc - what specs do i need?

im looking for a pc to play UT3 and do school/college work on ive been browsing and seen a few computers i just need to know what to look for and what price i can get it for. ive seen this.. will this give me a good experience of UT3 and still allow me to install enough software for college and school etc.. here's the spec's... AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+, 2GB (2048MB) DDR2 Dual Channel Memory, Massive 250GB SATA 2 HDD, nVidia Geforce 256Bit 256MB Graphics, PCI-express, DVD+-RW (ReWriter), Windows Vista OS Installed

That's not going to play UT3 well, the CPU is too slow and has a small cache, it's just a very cheap chip. You did not even list the model of the video card, just the memory amount, not a good indication.

Whatever you buy , it should have one from each of the cpu line and vid card lines below.
    CPU - Intel C2D E6750 or E6850 or Q6600
    Vid card - nvidia 8800GT or ATI 3850 or 3870

Comment

thanks, that was just the specs listed at the computer i was looking at il have another look now see if i can find anything with that CPU and Video Card.

Comment

ive found a pc with these specs ...

INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6750 4MB CACHE 1333 MHZ TOWER COMPUTER

MASSIVE 400GB 16MB CACHE SATA HARD DRIVE

WITH 20X DUAL LAYER LIGHTSCRIBE DVDRW + 2GB DDR 2 MEMORY

Comment

I'd recommend building your own, but either way we need to know what your video card is.
          Unreal 3 is graphics intensive meaning it utilizes more of your graphics card then your processor, except on the lowest settings.

Comment

Ge-force 7200 Ddr2 512mb Turbo Cache Pci Express Graphics Card

Comment

dont get a ge-force 7200 to play ut3, to play at medium to high you need a good 8 series nividia card or a ATI HD 3850 or 3870

Comment

I would suggest the following specs, see my signature, runs perfect. Look at www.digitalstormonline.com, they will build you an awesome pc.

btw, UTIII runs perfect.

Comment

I read an article about a "$500 gaming PC" based on using a low/mid range AMD dual core CPU and an NVidia 8800 GT.
                  That's what I did and it works great.
                  The school of thought (and their testing) showed that the vid card is more important than the CPU.
                  I went with an AMD dual core 4600+ (about $85) and a BFG 512 meg GT8800 GT ($235 on sale at BB, got lucky and got one) and I found the article to be bang on!
                  Plays UT3 at highed settings at 60 FPS, Crysis at high at I think 30 FPS (been playing mostly UT3 - dont recall Crysis FPS exactly)

Edit - here's a link to that article on the $500 gaming computer:
                  http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/$500_gaming_pc_upgrade/

If trying to figure out what MB/CPU/RAM combo's work gets confusing, try a place like Portatech.com and you can get those guts in a pre-assembled/pre-tested package using their configurator, so there's no guess work.

If you're looking at off the shelf PC's, they usually have crappy video cards, and that's the most important part for gaming - build you own, it's not that tough!

Bottom line - spend the bucks on an nvidia 8800 GT, and you wont need a super high end CPU.

Edit - here's a link to that article on the $500 gaming PC:
                  http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...ng_pc_upgrade/

Comment

If money is an issue:

well, i've just recently upgraded with used parts.. ima do that again if i need to; never been more happier and cheaper with upgrading When i build my first (high mid) high end few years back, it cost me about €1300; i bought all parts brandnew.

Now i build my pc form used parts from ebay about a month ago and the costs? check below:

E6700 core 2 duo 2x2,67Ghz (OC'ed to X6800 2x3Ghz) €145
                    Asus P5B (new with warranty) €60
                    Ati Sapphire HD2900pro (2 weeks old with warranty)(OC'ed to HD2900XT; warranty void ;p) €145
                    G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 800Mhz CL4 (3 months old with warranty) €75
                    PSU Enermax (9months old with warranty) 550Watt €45
                    I didnt buy a new case, since i'm happy with my old one.

As you can see, i build a fairly competitive pc for about 1/3 of the money i spend 3 years ago; It plays UT3 very smoothly @ highest settings, so i'm happy Ah yea, and i sold my old stuff for about €200, so, i total, my machine cost me about €300

Saving money makes me happy

Comment

Working...
                    X