error 1335 wont let me install!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

error 1335 wont let me install!

whenever i try to install Unreal Tournament 3 on my computer it says that error 1335: data5.cab can not be read from the disk. please try cleaning the disk and blah blah blah...

anyway: the disk has no visible scratches and it is the first time i have used it...

does anyone know how i can fix this issue?

is it just a case of me having to take the game back?

thanking you in advanced ~ Corey

ok, i tried reinstalling it and here is what it says exactly: Error 1335.The cabinet file 'Data5.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

anyone know what this meens?

could be a bad burn =/. If you know anyone else that has the game, just borrow theirDVD and put your own CD key in, Unreal Tournament games on PC have never required CD/DVD's in drive to play... else wise take it back to the store and tell them that it's a bad DVD.

Comment

I believe that I have finally discovered a possible solution to the 1335 error. At least I hope this works for everyone, it did for me today anyway.

It seems that higher end systems are trying to read and copy the data from the UT3 DVD too quickly. This is happening with other games besides UT3.

Now, how do you slow the system down from working too quickly? You reduce the amount of RAM that the system can access. This can be done by doing the following;

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
      2. In the Open box, type msconfig, and then click OK. (If using Vista enter msconfig into the Start/Search field.)
      3. On the BOOT.INI tab, click Advanced Options.
      4. In the BOOT.INI Advanced Options dialog box, select the /MAXMEM= check box, and then change the setting to 256 (Vista may need more than 256).
      5. Click OK to close the BOOT.INI Advanced Options dialog box.
      6. In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click Apply.
      7. Click OK to close the System Configuration Utility dialog box.
      8. Click Restart to the following message:
      You must restart your computer for some of the changes made by System Configuration to take effect.
      9. After you restart your computer, install UT3 as normal, this will take quite a bit more time since the system is running on a low amount of RAM.
      10. If the game installs fine, follow steps 1 through 8 to clear the /MAXMEM= check box. You may also need to select "Use Original BOOT.INI" in the General tab.
      11. If you still receive a 1335 cab corrupt error, repeat the steps above and lower the 256 number by 32 or 64 and repeat. 192 worked for me. The lower you go, the slower your computer will respond, so don't go overboard.

Comment

Originally posted by vläd View Post
        ...It seems that higher end systems are trying to read and copy the data from the UT3 DVD too quickly. This is happening with other games besides UT3...
        WOW! You are my hero! I've been having this problem for months. I previously found a work around by running the installer then when it would inevitably fail I would back up the Unreal Tournament 3 folder in Program Files before aborting the install. After aborting the install I would then restore the Unreal Tournament 3 folder and install again. It seams that it wouldn't bother extracting files that were already there, work a little bit more then crash again. Took about 7-10 tries every time I wanted to install the game.

I thought it was just an incompatibility or my RAM/MoBo going bad. I had this problem with the UT3 demo as well as the retail installer. Not to mention I was having problems with several other games including TimeShift, Tiberium Wars, and the GGPO client. I was also having problems installing Photoshop and Premiere CS3. All of them received similar cab extraction errors in random places every time. I'm not sure about the other games; however I installed both Premiere and Photoshop after installing UT3 with no problems!

Thanks again! Who knew adding more and faster ram could cause problems?

Comment

Your DVD drive needs a firmware update or replaced.

This happens because the windows installer does not like your dvd drive. You can update the firmware of DVD or you can buy a new one. A USB DVD drive works as well.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
            This happens because the windows installer does not like your dvd drive. You can update the firmware of DVD or you can buy a new one. A USB DVD drive works as well.
            That may work for some folks, but it didn't for me. My Plextors had the latest firmware and I tried two brand new Pioneer drives that had the latest firmware and I still ran into the 1335 errors.

I have a feeling that the reason that the external drives work is that typically they do not transfer the data nearly as fast as internal drives. This results in the same thing as slowing the computer down by limiting how much RAM it can access.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
              This would be an impossibility as I purchased from Direct2Drive and my DVD drive never fits into the equation of any of the affore mentioned installs except Tiberium Wars.

Comment

Try copying the contents of the UT3 DVD over to a portable HDD using a lower-end desktop PC or a laptop. It worked for me that way using my laptop, and then I just installed from the portable HDD. Enjoying UT3 now after 2 miserable days of looking for solutions online

Comment

try to install the update of windows installer, it worked for me

Comment

The following worked for me:

Try copying the data of the UT3 DVD to ur hard drive. Then run the setup from the hd and just intall it. When u get error 1335: "data5.cab can not be read from the disk" just get data5.cab from the UT3 dvd and copy it over the old data.cab on ur hd. when its copied just push retry and de install will continue.

I hope this will solve the 1335 error :P

Comment

I finally tracked my install issue down to two sticks of RAM that went wonkey for no apparent issue. While the procedure that I posted above did indeed work for me, the real solution was running MemTest and replacing two sticks of RAM.

Just a quick FYI update on a resurrected thread.

Comment

I ALWAYS copy CD/DVDs to my HDD before installing a program. There are some that will not install from the HDD (Diablo2, for example, it insists on reading from the CD), but it is worth the time to try. All of the Unreal franchise games will install from the HDD.

Comment

Working...
                        X