UT3 won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 won't start

I installed UT3, took some time, patched it and tried to run it. The loading screen comes up, then the game shut down.
    I've tried without the patch and installing in other directories, I've tried reinstalling Ageia but nothing works.

I updated my 8800GTS 640mb to driver 169.21 and I'm using Windows XP SP2.
    I'd really like to play this so if anyone has any sugestions, please tell me

Do what the troubleshooting FAQ says to do

Go to this thread and do what it says before you continue on your thread. This is the troubleshooting FAQ.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=590086

From your post, you have yet to follow the instructions posted in it.

If that does not work, try a clean bare bones install, you will need a spare hard drive. Disconnect your current drive and hook up the spare. Install your OS on the spare drive and nothing beside the required drivers to run the game and the game itself. Nothing else at all and see how it runs then. If it does not run, you likely have a hardware issue such as memory, cpu, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
      Go to this thread and do what it says before you continue on your thread. This is the troubleshooting FAQ.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=590086

From your post, you have yet to follow the instructions posted in it.

If that does not work, try a clean bare bones install, you will need a spare hard drive. Disconnect your current drive and hook up the spare. Install your OS on the spare drive and nothing beside the required drivers to run the game and the game itself. Nothing else at all and see how it runs then. If it does not run, you likely have a hardware issue such as memory, cpu, etc.
      And we should be forced to do all this **** just to get our game to start... why, exactly? Isn't it up to the manufacturer to make sure the **** thing runs in the first place? I'm having the same problem and I'm more ****** off than a ****** taking the SAT.

Comment

Agree with Doom Fang. Figured it might be Daemon Tools that's causing the trouble, so I uninstalled it but it still doesn't work. Bah, I will probably have to reinstall the entire system :/

Comment

Hi paraply,

Can you try taking a look in your 'Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Logs' directory to see if there are any crash dump files, it might give an indication if the game is crashing, or just quitting for some reason? Also taking a look (or posting here) the Launch.log file might give some clues as to what exactly is failing.

Also, is the game die before or after fullscreen mode is activated?

Comment

by the way im running bioshock on my machine on full ress and full blast and it runs sweet just the loading times are a bit lengthy so i thought my cpu wud bable to handle unreal 3 with ease but obviously i was wrong

Comment

I'm having problems as well. Like the OP, I double click the UT3 icon, get the splash screen, then nothing. I went to the troubleshooting FAQ and tried everything relevant. This is a clean build (just upgraded my computer), with all the windows patches, the latest nVidia drivers, etc. I encountered no problems with the installation of the game and all my other games run fine (CoD4, FEAR, HGL, Crysis). I have the latest version of DX9 loaded, have tried using a clean startup, etc. Not sure what else to try. My specs are:

Q6600 running stock
              4GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 DDR2 RAM
              Asus P5K-E/Wifi mobo with P35 chipset
              eVGA 8800GTS 512MB video card
              Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeMusic soundcard

I had 2x1GB Crucial Lanfest 2k7 DDR2 RAM in it at first and had the same results. My son's system, with almost the exact same components (minus the soundcard) is running the game fine. My rig before the upgrade (E6400 @ 3.2Ghz, the lanfest RAM, 8800GTS 640MB card and the same soundcard) ran the game fine since it was released. This is a retail copy of the game.

Comment

I have the same problem.
                The thing is it started doing it out of the blue, having installed or changed nothing on my PC.
                I run the game, get the splash screen, then it's gone.
                Sometimes I get the microsoft crash too, with the 'send' 'dont send' options.
                I try again and again, and eventually after a random number of tries, the game WILL start.

I've checked the startup log and it gets weirder.
                There are no errors or crash. The log file just cuts off at a totally random point every time, mid sentance.

I have since formatted and reinstalled XP and got all the latest stable drivers - everything is fresh.
                I redid all my settings from scratch - not reusing an ini's in case they were the problem.
                It's still doing it!!!

Any ideas?
                Before a few weeks ago it's been totally fine.
                Everything else runs without problems.

Comment

I am having the same problems.

I installed the game having bought it eailer on today and it will not run. Sounds like I am having the same issues as everyone else here.

My PC isn't a mega machine as other people seem to have here but it is around the same as the recommended on the back of the box so it should happily run on low quality.

Has anyone found a fix, its pretty crappy really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgFulV4Kqk4
                  ^^ Video of my problem here.

Comment

Originally posted by StormyBA View Post
                    I am having the same problems.

I installed the game having bought it eailer on today and it will not run. Sounds like I am having the same issues as everyone else here.

My PC isn't a mega machine as other people seem to have here but it is around the same as the recommended on the back of the box so it should happily run on low quality.

Has anyone found a fix, its pretty crappy really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgFulV4Kqk4
                    ^^ Video of my problem here.
                    You have WAY too much **** running in the background and in your system tray, etc!

Most problems with this game are due to hardware problems, driver issues, and running incompatible software in the background. Check your hardware with Prime95 and Memtest86, close out all unnecessary background tasks, patch the game, install the latest hardware drivers, install DirectX again, defrag, etc.

Comment

Most liekly ur processor aint strong enough...id try making sure u have no CPU using programs on as a start

Comment

Originally posted by IceFrogg View Post
                        Most liekly ur processor aint strong enough...id try making sure u have no CPU using programs on as a start
                        I'll be assuming you're not talking about my processor... who were you replying to?

Comment

Originally posted by Metal_Militia View Post
                          You have WAY too much **** running in the background and in your system tray, etc!

Most problems with this game are due to hardware problems, driver issues, and running incompatible software in the background. Check your hardware with Prime95 and Memtest86, close out all unnecessary background tasks, patch the game, install the latest hardware drivers, install DirectX again, defrag, etc.
                          Ok.. trying all this stuff. Computer is new and stable... Prime95 is quite fun. Really haven't done Memtest86, but the computer is new and has no problems with other memory intensive stuff. DirectX got installed again as you say. At least, I can't seem to find how to install directX 9.0c exclusive of directX10. I found some alleged help page saying it was impossible to uninstall directX10 but that the web installer would install directX9 (after I signed away my soul to MS again).

Anyway, after having tried all these fixes I'm still crossing my fingers that the black screen of misery releases my PC without me having to turn it off hard again. I've had enough of this.

Can I at least confirm that other people with quad cores and SP1 are running this game happily? Give me some hope people... this is ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Slava View Post
                            Ok.. trying all this stuff. Computer is new and stable... Prime95 is quite fun. Really haven't done Memtest86, but the computer is new and has no problems with other memory intensive stuff. DirectX got installed again as you say. At least, I can't seem to find how to install directX 9.0c exclusive of directX10. I found some alleged help page saying it was impossible to uninstall directX10 but that the web installer would install directX9 (after I signed away my soul to MS again).

Anyway, after having tried all these fixes I'm still crossing my fingers that the black screen of misery releases my PC without me having to turn it off hard again. I've had enough of this.

Can I at least confirm that other people with quad cores and SP1 are running this game happily? Give me some hope people... this is ****.
                            Still, run Memtest--you may be surprised at what you find. If you're setting voltages to [Auto] in the BIOS, you're going to have memory issues. . ..

The web installer will automatically install every version of DirectX that you need, so no worries there .

I just upgraded to Vista x64 SP1 this week. I'm running it with a Q6600 G0 OC'd to 3.6 GHz (hardware in sig), and I haven't had a problem with any of my games (over 70!) since I reinstalled the DirectX package and started using the 174.85 Nvidia Beta Drivers (from Guru3d). You might also want to make sure that you're not using any 3rd-party GUI-dressing programs, like WindowBlinds, AlienGUIse, etc.

Comment

Just wanted to say I managed to fix mine.

I......

- Uninstalled the game
                              - Downloaded latest nvidia drives and installed
                              - Reinstalled UT3
                              - Installed UT3 1.1 patch
                              - Restarted machine

It looks like frigging **** on my machine but it does run, luckly, I only wanted the game to do some modding!

Comment

Working...
                              X