X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

game crashing

hi there guys and gals,
    im running winxp and had 2gig of dualchan memory installed game ran fine
    well now ive added 2 more gig of dual channel mem and xp only sees 3 gig of it but now ut3 crahses intermittenly, coincidence or am i having memory addressing problems between the game and xp, 2k4 dosent seem to care as it still runs fine

same problem at me. when was running with 2gigs there was no problem. now upgraded to 4gigs and game randomly crashes to winxp when playing... latest drivers installed.

Comment

Are you guys using WinXP 64-bit?

And are you trying to use multiple graphics cards? If so, does the memory controller support "memory swap"?

http://forum.imgburn.com/lofiversion...php/t2128.html

"The latest chipsets like Intel 975X, 955X, Nvidia NF4 SLI Intel Edition, Nvidia NF4 SLI X16, and AMD K8 CPU architecture can support the memory swap function. "

It looks like as you race towards the 4 gig barrier, things get complicated, particularly as you add in video RAM to your total.

All that said, you would think the game would at least run.

Comment

im using winxp 32bit and a single BFG oc'd 8800gt

Comment

That 8800gt that is overclocked may be introducing some instability issues. I can't visualize the specific connection that would have to your new memory. Perhaps the extra memory stresses the system out just enough more to precipitate an adverse event.

As long as you are not getting any error messages from the operating system, and it "sees" you extra ram, I don't see hueg problems with trying to use the 32-bit version of WinXP. However, there may be some benefit to jumping over to 64-bit operating system. I haven't heard this specifically causing lockups, though, so I don't know if improved stability would be one of those benefits.

Comment

WinXP 32 bit can only see 4gb ram total, so if your video card has say 760mb ram, then only 3 gb or so will be used by XP from your ram dimms. Also, are you mixing ram brands/types? Or are they all exactly the same brand of stick and speed? Mixing ram can cause big problems in a pc.

Comment

well i am mixing the 2 sets there are 2 1gb crucial ballistix sticks in dual chan mode and 2 1gb corsair sticks in dual chan mode, i thought it would be ok as long as the same 2 were in the right slots, i guess i figured since there are 2 sets of color coded dual chan slots on my board that the memorys dual channel features would work independantly of the other set? the ram is all the same speed though...thnx for your input so far guys

Comment

I get this alot too, but only in Epics maps, I get NO errors at all in the maps made by random players...

Comment

i am using XP 32bit and 8800GTX Asus with 768MB ram. rams are 2 double packs Kingston so these should be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by n3cr0maNc3r View Post
                    hi there guys and gals,
                    im running winxp and had 2gig of dualchan memory installed game ran fine
                    well now ive added 2 more gig of dual channel mem and xp only sees 3 gig of it but now ut3 crahses intermittenly, coincidence or am i having memory addressing problems between the game and xp, 2k4 dosent seem to care as it still runs fine
                    I had this same problem, upgrading from 1.5gigs to 4. The problem was that I was stressing the memory controller with my extra low latency timings. To solve go to your BIOS settings and manually set your RAM CAS and RAS timings at least up one notch, effectively slightly underclocking your memory but not stressing the memory controller so much because of the extra address space referenced. Eg: My DDR RAM's SPD is set to 2.5-3-2-5 @ 200MHz, so I manually set it to 3.0-3-3-5 @ 204MHz. Problem solved!

Don't worry, the game won't slow down in any noticeable way.

Comment

but i don`t have some kind of low latencies. in bios there`s shown timing like 5-5-5-5 @200

Comment

Working...
                      X