• Show
Clear All

Old comp outperforms new comp?

My old comp had the following specs:

Nvidia Geforce 7800 GT
    AMD Athlon 4000+
    2 GB RAM
    250 GB Hard Drive

It ran UT3 at a good 40-50 fps on 800x600 resolution but everything else was maxed out.

My new comp has the following specs

Windows Vista
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
    AMD Athlon 5000+ Dual Core
    4 GB RAM
    250 GB Hard Drive

With the same setting I can barely get 20 fps. What is going on? I bought these new parts so I can play these new games but instead it's slower than my old gear. What can I do? Is there some stupid DX10 stuff that no one notices and is slowing me down? Help?

Originally posted by DavronM View Post
    My old comp had the following specs:

Nvidia Geforce 7800 GT
    AMD Athlon 4000+
    2 GB RAM
    250 GB Hard Drive

It ran UT3 at a good 40-50 fps on 800x600 resolution but everything else was maxed out.

My new comp has the following specs

Windows Vista
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
    AMD Athlon 5000+ Dual Core
    4 GB RAM
    250 GB Hard Drive

With the same setting I can barely get 20 fps. What is going on? I bought these new parts so I can play these new games but instead it's slower than my old gear. What can I do? Is there some stupid DX10 stuff that no one notices and is slowing me down? Help?
    You did not mention what OS you had on your other system.

Did your older system have windows XP on it?

That will make a huge difference.

Is your windows vista 64 bit or is it 32 bit? I would try removing 1 GB of ram if it's 32 bit, may not do anything but worth a try.

Something must be wrong, with an 8800GT you should not be getting 20 fps. Have you installed the newest nvidia drivers for vista?

Comment

vista slows stuff down a ton. put xp on your new computer

Comment

Yeah I had XP on my old computer and now I have 32 bit Vista.

Comment

Having Vista won't make the new computer with a significantly powerful CPU, much more powerful GPU and twice the RAM run with worse performance. Yes, Vista looses to XP in performance, but not so much it turns a gaming PC into a typewriter, just a bit.

2 DavronM
          Welcome to the club, I guess.

Comment

I have 30% Performance loss + this Hidden surface removal bug. On places i had 40 FPS with XP, i now have 15 -26 with Vista. But i dont care. I will only play UT3 if this strange bug is solved. Then i will install XP again.

Comment

See the Weird FPS Drops / Poor performance thread. Other people are experiencing your problem. A few have discussed potential fixes that work for some.

Comment

Vista and 360 warranty jobs must be hurting MS in the bank account

Comment

Originally posted by _Lynx View Post
                  Having Vista won't make the new computer with a significantly powerful CPU, much more powerful GPU and twice the RAM run with worse performance. Yes, Vista looses to XP in performance, but not so much it turns a gaming PC into a typewriter, just a bit.

2 DavronM
                  Welcome to the club, I guess.
                  I agree, it's probally because he has 32-bit Vista with 4gb of ram.

Comment

Yup, 32-bit systems run slower if they have 4GB RAM. You need to go 64-bit if you want to leave it all in.

Comment

Originally posted by mustapha View Post
                      Yup, 32-bit systems run slower if they have 4GB RAM. You need to go 64-bit if you want to leave it all in.
                      shut up if you dont konw about what you're speakign about.

It doesn't make it slower, thats a myth which isn't real.... the thing which costs a lot more of performance is if you don't have enought ram inside your pc as he initiates to put files services and so on onto the page file which is located on the normal harddrive and this one drops the performance. The only thing which changes on a 4 GB Ram is that the os has to "eliminate" some of the ram ... a different thing it is if your putting dual channel then it can make a difference but i dont think so ....

best solution for you would be to install Server 2k3 x64 or Windows XP X64 SP2 those suport up to ... ram (can't remember) so you can adress directly every bit of your pc hardware =)

trial version of s2k3 and x64 xp are 120 days fully funcitonal so i think enougth =)

cu

Comment

Once again I will repeat what I first posted.

Since you have 32 Bit windows what I would suggest is taking out 1 GB of ram and testing the game to see IF it gets any better performance. If you have 2 2GB sticks then I would take out one of them and test with only 2 GB just to at least test to see if you get remarkedly better performance. I've seen some computers have problems with 4 GB of ram if the OS is 32 bit. Worth a try, what if the performance still sucks? Well then put the stick back in.

Also, not too sure if this effects your system that much but I would turn off the superfetch service in Vista, it basically starts loading **** into your ram based on what programs you run and it will keep filling you up until you have no free ram left.

Comment

Working...
                        X