X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random System Lockup in MP [PC]

System Info: (No overclocking)
    - Windows XP w/ SP2
    - eVGA 8800gts 320mb w/ November drivers...
    - Intel Core 2 Duo e6750
    - ASUS p5n-e SLI Motherboard (Just flashed the BIOS w/ the latest version thinking that was the main issue but it wasn't, It happened before and is still occuring)
    - OCZ SLI-Ready 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2N800SR2GK
    - 1x 120Gb WD Caviar 16mb cache system drive
    - 1x 500Gb WD Caviar 16mb cache storage drive
    - Antec SmartPower 2.0 450W ATX12V v2.01 power supply

Personally I strongly think it's the power supply... That maybe it can't pump out enough juice for the job and the system locks up hard. Some people say 450w is fine, but maybe not this one...

I don't get any event log info on the crashes, so sorry I can't get you that info.

Any insight would be appreciated.

the psu has enough wattage, its if it has enough amperage for your vid card.
    http://www.extreme.outervision.com/powercalc.jsp is a pretty good power calculator, i tried to piece together your rig from what you said and 450 should cover you just fine under load.

Comment

Yeah even when you calculate in 2 120w fans, a dvd+rw combo drive, floppy and 1 firewire device @ 100%/100% cpu it says 395w.

Comment

If you think it might be the PSU, here's a shot in the dark. Reduce the load on your system and see if still happens. Unplug your secondary hard drive & your CDrom, unplug non-essential USB devices (e.g., printer), and then underclock your system a little, for both the CPU and GPU. Also, leave your case open so that the fans don't have to run as hard. This still might not be enough to make a difference, but if your problem went away or was reduced, you could guess that the issue was either PSU or cooling related.

Comment

Try turning off the antialiasing in your vidcard control panel. Worked for me. The AA in UT3 is a system crusher.
          Go to control panel and see how to override the game settings for this. Its there for individual games. Don't let UT3 decide. It doesn't care. There is a menu/window for this.

Comment

If it's a power supply issue most likely when max power is exceded the PC will just reset. If it's just locking up it's probably not a power supply issue. IMRO.

Comment

Originally posted by cel4145 View Post
              If you think it might be the PSU, here's a shot in the dark. Reduce the load on your system and see if still happens. Unplug your secondary hard drive & your CDrom, unplug non-essential USB devices (e.g., printer), and then underclock your system a little, for both the CPU and GPU. Also, leave your case open so that the fans don't have to run as hard. This still might not be enough to make a difference, but if your problem went away or was reduced, you could guess that the issue was either PSU or cooling related.
              Tried a little bit of this... Still had the issue but not as much, but couldn't my PSU be even more underpowered than it originally was? (PSU Aging, about 2 years old)

Comment

Originally posted by Wasted Time View Post
                Try turning off the antialiasing in your vidcard control panel. Worked for me. The AA in UT3 is a system crusher.
                Go to control panel and see how to override the game settings for this. Its there for individual games. Don't let UT3 decide. It doesn't care. There is a menu/window for this.
                AA is off by default, but I did force 2x for UT3 and turned of all post processing, and the crashes occur before and after.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
                  If it's a power supply issue most likely when max power is exceded the PC will just reset. If it's just locking up it's probably not a power supply issue. IMRO.
                  I would agree.
                  does it do it in singleplayer mode?
                  If it does then i would look at how hot you comp/vid card is getting.

[edit]but i`v seen stranger things happen on pc`s

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
                    What about a voltage regulation issue since he's indicated now that the system is slightly more stable when he reduces the load? Suppose he's pushing close to the max and one of the rails is fluctuating a little too much but still putting out the correct amperage?

This is just a guess on my part. I really don't know enough about PSU design. I'm hoping you do, Ultron

Comment

Originally posted by kaffein View Post
                      Tried a little bit of this... Still had the issue but not as much, but couldn't my PSU be even more underpowered than it originally was? (PSU Aging, about 2 years old)
                      Did you try underclocking the CPU and GPU, too? Laptops conserve battery power by reducing CPU speed when not plugged in, so you would reduce the wattage the system is using under load. Drop the speed by 15-20% on each.

The reason I ask is that if you are finding this starting to work by reducing the load, then push it further and see if the problems decrease even more.

As for the age, don't know. Some of the other guys would have a better idea. But you could always try the BestBuy/Newegg combo method. Go to BestBuy, get a 550w PSU--make certain you can return it once opened (I haven't done this in about two years)--and try it out. If the problems go away, order one from Newegg and return the one to BestBuy

Comment

Working...
                      X