Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My rig: suggestions needed please

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    lol dw about it, I'm still looking for a place that sells the 8800gt that isn't out of stock. I found it on newegg, but thats USA only, right?

    Comment


      #17
      I'd personally go 500w + so that you have a little extra headroom on your PSU. If you want to save money, I'm biased, so I'll champion the Corsair VX 550. See my sig. I also have a 2nd hard drive on it, USB mouse, USB powered scanner, two monitors drawing off the card, and two DVD burners.

      As for 8800GT, looks like Amazon UK has a few. There are BFG and Gigabyte cards that look good. XFX is popular, just know that some people complain about their customer service if you end up with a problem.

      Comment


        #18
        I went for the 600W one, £10 cheaper than the corsair one you have... mainly because the reviews reccommended it for my dimension E520.

        I looked at this one:Palit PCX GF Nvidia 8800GT Sonic

        But it's only £128. Is there something wrong with it?

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Epickiller View Post
          I went for the 600W one, £10 cheaper than the corsair one you have... mainly because the reviews reccommended it for my dimension E520.

          I looked at this one:Palit PCX GF Nvidia 8800GT Sonic

          But it's only £128. Is there something wrong with it?
          Maybe it's the 256MB version of the 8800GT. Nvidia has decided to make the 8800 series cards naming conventions even less logical than before by adding 2 new G92 based cards to the mix. One of the new cards is a much less expensive 256MB version of the 8800GT. Priced the same as the 8600GTS and 3870 cards.

          Good choice on the PS, since you had to buy one anyway, may as well buy one that will last into your next upgrade, cheaper in the long run than buying a less expensive one now and then buying another better one in the future for the next upgrade.

          Comment


            #20
            Thanks, I thought it'd be more cost effective.

            If you click the link you'll see it is the 512mb version. I just ordered it after reading your post, and it turns out it's called Sonic because Palit have added a better fan to it than the std. It'll take 3 - 5 weeks to get here though, apparently. (Still chose express delivery though )

            Comment


              #21
              That's great that you have found everything you need and have your components on the way. Look forward to seeing you on the forums more and in the game

              Comment


                #22
                A good place to buy computer stuff is http://www.eclipsecomputers.com. I buy alot of stuff from Eclipse Computers and you can also get your self a BFG Tech nVidia 8800 GTS 320MB OC2 for £193 which is including VAT remember it's UK only though.

                Comment


                  #23
                  the GTS is on older card though right? No thanks, I already ordered the 8800gt from amazon. which turns out has a better fan added by Palit and lsightly overclocked too, I was wondering what the Sonic bit ment lol. Performs a bit better than the stock 8800gt and doesn't get as hot, Only problem is it uses up an extra 20 odd watts.

                  Oh and thanks cel, I was on a bit before but got a bit busy so I haven't been on in a while. The gfx card will take 3 - 5 weeks to get here though

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Epickiller View Post
                    the GTS is on older card though right? No thanks, I already ordered the 8800gt from amazon.
                    Yep. What you ordered is better. There is a new 512MB 8800GTS that is out which is faster than the 8800GT series (it uses a different GPU, I believe, than the other 88000GTS), but it cost a good chunk more than the 8800GT. You are going to be happy. The 8800GT you just bought will improve the game so much from your previous experience that it will feel like you've gone from driving a Honda Civic to a Mustang GT in terms of performance

                    Comment


                      #25
                      yeh, I get 5 fps on the Crysis demo with all low settings right now!!! I'm hoping to get 30 - 35fps on high settings with the new card, PSU and ram. What should I do with the old gfx card and psu though?

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Epickiller View Post
                        yeh, I get 5 fps on the Crysis demo with all low settings right now!!! I'm hoping to get 30 - 35fps on high settings with the new card, PSU and ram. What should I do with the old gfx card and psu though?
                        Anyone got any ideas?

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
                          Nvidia has decided to make the 8800 series cards naming conventions even less logical than before by adding 2 new G92 based cards to the mix. One of the new cards is a much less expensive 256MB version of the 8800GT. Priced the same as the 8600GTS and 3870 cards.
                          Yeah I am not happy with Nvidia and ATI playing these games with the number conventions. It used to be somewhat easy to tell different cards apart by simply looking at their model numbers but it's getting too confusing in my book. I think they're trying to outsmart each other but it's just making it more difficult for the rest of us than it should be.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Thanks for the help Ultron & Cel and others, I'll be installing the PSU and ram in a few days, I'll post here and say how it goes.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X