My rig: suggestions needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My rig: suggestions needed please

Hey fellas I'd just like to ask how much wattage I'll need to run my computer with all those new components (see my sig)

Thanks in advance

A 450W would be just fine - I wouldn't spend money on some monster PSU on that system, personally.

Comment

Thanks, and what's that supposed to mean? My system not very good? (3gb of RAM in total after the upfrade btw)

Comment

Your Geaphs card is a little weak. If i may say something^^

Comment

You may. But since when was the 8800gt 'weak'?

Comment

you are gonna mix differnt types of ram?
            best to test out 2GB in dual channel first, and compare it to the score with 3GB.
            i see that you have vista also. I had 3GB of ram before, but they were all identical. Then i fried one of them, and when i did the Vista performance index test my RAM score went up compared to the previous 3GB. *shrug*

Comment

Strange, I don't go by the index test thing, it only works on a few games like Crysis and other 'games for windows'. Yeh I'm going for dual channel, and Crucial said it didn't matter if I mixed RAM as long as long as I don't go past the 3.5gig cap thanks to my 32 bit Vista. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Here's a wattage calculator. Antec links to it from their website, so I'm guessing it ought to be pretty good.

Comment

One other thought. Be careful about mixing ram if the ram has different voltages. Motherboards I have worked with only allow you to set the same voltage for all ram sticks. For example, 2.2v and 1.8v ram will probably not play well together.

Comment

Thanks, according to that calculator I need a 432watt power supply.

Oh and is it ok for me to take of the casing of my computer without worrying about ESD? (electro static discharge) just to have a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Epickiller View Post
                      Thanks, according to that calculator I need a 432watt power supply.

Oh and is it ok for me to take of the casing of my computer without worrying about ESD? (electro static discharge) just to have a look.
                      I'd be tempted to get 500 or 550 watts, then, in case you decide to buy another hard drive or cdrom or other device later on. If you'd like some recommendations, here are two (Antec and Corsair) that I own. I selected them because they are both good brands and have higher energy efficiency which means they run fairly cool. That's always a plus because if the PSU runs cooler then the rest of the system doesn't get as hot.

As for opening the case, you are generally safe as long as you don't touch the components inside. Make certain you unplug your power supply so in case you bumped the board you didn't short anything. A board still has power running through it even when turned off by the switch on the computer if not turned off in the back or unplugged. Some people recommend you hold the power button in for 10 or 15 secs after unplugging to make certain capacitors dissipate their power.

Once turned off, before touching any components, touch the metal part of the case itself. That will ground you with the case. And avoid wearing bare socks on a rug floor or a wool/polyester sweater when working on the inside of the case

Comment

Thanks! I've orderd an ESD wrist strap with my ram just to be certain I don't fry any conponents with stactic I'm switching off now to see exactly what my PSU is.

Comment

Hmm... in small font on the PSU it said out put: 305watts which is worrying XD. + I don't know where my ram and gfx card is located lol.

Comment

I've found these two:
                            600W PSU - £49.99
                            460W PSU - £25.84

I'm not adding any more devices (hardrives etc). but the reviews for the 600W looked good. Is it worth the extra £25?

Comment

Originally posted by Epickiller View Post
                              Thanks, and what's that supposed to mean? My system not very good? (3gb of RAM in total after the upfrade btw)
                              No your system is fine. What I am talking about is you are not running some sort of multi-processor, multi-video card that's going to require a lot of power. And hey it looks like my guess was right.

Comment

Working...
                              X