• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very slow FPS!

Specs:
    Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.3GHz
    2GB RAM
    EVGA GeForce 8800GT Superclocked @ 700 core/1725 shader/930 memory (underclocked memory), idle 44C, load 62C
    Asus P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi/AP motherboard
    OCZ GameXStream 600W PSU
    169.21 Drivers
    Windows XP 32 bit

I am experiencing very slow frame rate in UT3. Even with all settings to 1, the frame rate dips to unacceptable levels (e.g. 25 FPS with one or two people on screen). In other games, the frame rate is excellent. UT3 used to have really good frame rates until recently where things just started to suck. Performance was good, then bad all of a sudden under the 169.09 drivers so I did a full driver clean and installed the 169.21s with no luck.

Anybody know how to fix this? Thanks

169.21 drivers suck, try 169.13 they seem to yield the most performance.

what manufacturer for your 8800GT? hows your temps? are you overheating any on the gpu? have you tried upping your fan speed (via rivatuner)?

what mobo? are you getting enough power to the card? (do you get an nvidia power indicator notice EVER?)

Comment

I can't use .13s, those are for Vista IIRC.

I'm using an EVGA 8800GT Superclocked. I set the fan to 60% on default which eventually scales to 100% depending on temperature. Idle is 44C at 60% fan and load is 62C at 100% fan.

I'm using an Asus P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi/AP and an OCZ GameXStream 600W PSU, no power issues that I know of.

Comment

they are also for xp, its what i installed on my buddy's pc when he got his card (same as yours, evga SC)
        have you downloaded the bios update from evga for the 8800? its on their download page (my internet is slow so im having trouble linking you sorry)
        http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1793 (from my history) is 169.13 for xp 32
        and i dont have a link to the bios update sorry.

psu should be more than enough.

Comment

If they were good at one time, then something has changed to cause the problem. Have you installed any updates? Go the the troubleshooting sticky and and do a clean install to eliminate the change.

Comment

they are also for xp, its what i installed on my buddy's pc when he got his card (same as yours, evga SC)
            have you downloaded the bios update from evga for the 8800? its on their download page (my internet is slow so im having trouble linking you sorry)
            http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1793 (from my history) is 169.13 for xp 32
            and i dont have a link to the bios update sorry.

psu should be more than enough.
            update:
            ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/N802%20Update%201.1.zip

Comment

Would I need to do the BIOS update? Isn't the BIOS update just for the fan settings? My temps should be fine since RivaTuner is controlling the fan speed.

I just installed whatever the Windows updates were, don't remember which ones. A clean UT3 install should work?

Comment

sorry about the double post - yes the bios update is only for fan control
                equally if you do update your drivers, make sure you remove all the old drivers (driver cleaner pro is what i use in safemode)
                unless you messed up your config files somehow, changing your install shouldnt do much difference.

Comment

Well I think a reinstall of UT3 would be worth a try, or maybe wiping out all the config files to start fresh. Gotta try when I get home

Comment

Try a virus scan and a spyware scan. Maybe you went to a >.> kinda website in the recent history

Comment

You might also check out the Weird FPS Drops / Poor performance thread. DeathBooger and FailedEXE are describing really bad performance which might be like yours (see the last couple of pages of the thread).

Comment

Originally posted by NitrousOxide View Post
                        Try a virus scan and a spyware scan. Maybe you went to a >.> kinda website in the recent history
                        Nothing bad I scanned already.

Comment

Here are some options you might try:

Edit the UTEngine.ini which can be found in My Documents\MyGames\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config.

For older NVIDIA cards:
                          [Engine.ISVHacks]
                          UseMinimalNVIDIADriverShaderOptimization=True
                          bInitializeShadersOnDemand=True
                          PumpWindowMessagesWhenRenderThreadStalled=True

...and then...

[SystemSettings]
                          OnlyStreamInTextures=True
                          OneFrameThreadLag=True

Let us know if that works.

Also, if you still have problems, try the other tweaks in my thread, listed in my sig below.

Comment

Thanks Ultron, I will test things out now.

Comment

Hm with the changes in system settings, nothing changed. I have an 8800GT so is it worth it to try those older nvidia card tweaks?

Comment

Working...
                              X