Sound positioning is real borked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound positioning is real borked

Example: Someone can be down by the armor vest in Deck and you can be over in the opening to the big room between the flack and rocket launcher facing them and when they shoot from down there, it sounds like it's coming from where you're at or behind you.

I noticed other people having this problem when spectating them they would hear the other player and turn to the direction the sound came from but the other player would actually wind up being behind the them, the opposite way the sound came from!

When asking people, this is both with onboard and add in soundcards. I was hoping the patch would fix this. I notice new sound drivers for my sound chipset has been posted today, will try later tonight or tomorrow and post back.

What kind of sound system do you use and the OS its under?

Comment

Originally posted by Emig5m View Post
      Example: Someone can be down by the armor vest in Deck and you can be over in the opening to the big room between the flack and rocket launcher facing them and when they shoot from down there, it sounds like it's coming from where you're at or behind you.

I noticed other people having this problem when spectating them they would hear the other player and turn to the direction the sound came from but the other player would actually wind up being behind the them, the opposite way the sound came from!

When asking people, this is both with onboard and add in soundcards. I was hoping the patch would fix this. I notice new sound drivers for my sound chipset has been posted today, will try later tonight or tomorrow and post back.
      I have the same thing,im using x-fi xtreme gamer/xp-pro.Its like having one of your senses removed,not being able to pinpoint where people are gets you killed,again and again.Highly annoying

Comment

Originally posted by OgreHound View Post
        What kind of sound system do you use and the OS its under?
        RealTek HD (ALC888) using digital optical out to a home theater receiver (I'm a audiophile and like to use my own outboard DAC over a PC soundcard's DAC - I use high quality kernel streaming for my music playback for example). OS is WinXP Pro SP2 all updates. From talking to people in the game, it's also other high end gaming sound cards (I also had the problem with my older AC'97 which worked fine in UT2004.)

I downloaded the most recent drivers (actually they where released yesterday and not today). I'm gonna go try them now, but I think this is a game problem since many other sound cards are doing the same thing (it's real noticeable in 1v1 where player sound position is used as much as visual). In UT2004 sound position worked perfect, even with onboard sound.

Comment

Ya and it's even worse in UT3 because we hear almost nothing in our back (foot soldiers to mantas and Levithian).

I had an X-Fi XtremeMusic and now with my Auzentech X-Fi Prelude, it's the same but now the game crash with OpenAL... on the same system so f******* lame!

Comment

So it's definitely both, onboard sound and premium gaming add in soundcards. I just played a couple matches with the new sound drivers installed and it seems to be a lot better- I was now able to track the other player in 1v1 using sound cues and wasn't getting confused all the time with the player being in a totally different position then the sound came from, lol, so maybe it is a driver problem after all. I haven't been using the OpenAL setting since the first time I tried it, the volume was way too loud and over-modulating/distorting. I might have to go back and try OpenAL now with the latest drivers installed.

For anyone with the RealTek HD onboard sound and wants to try the new drivers (dated dec 10th), here's the link: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...3&DownTypeID=3

I gotta give it up to RealTek for always being on the ball with driver updates. Every time I check their page, a new driver has been released that fixes problems while not breaking other things. If only nVidia, Ati, and Creative could put out the frequent and quality drivers updates that RealTek puts out that fixes stuff without breaking other stuff, heh.

Comment

Originally posted by Emig5m View Post
              For anyone with the RealTek HD onboard sound and wants to try the new drivers (dated dec 10th), here's the link: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...3&DownTypeID=3

I gotta give it up to RealTek for always being on the ball with driver updates. Every time I check their page, a new driver has been released that fixes problems while not breaking other things. If only nVidia, Ati, and Creative could put out the frequent and quality drivers updates that RealTek puts out that fixes stuff without breaking other stuff, heh.
              Yeah, everyday Updates. And you can download it via 5Kbyte per second Sry, Realtek is bad as hell and a cheap **** manufacturer. It was a real bad idea to put more than a Com and LPT / USB port to the mainboard. Now i have to buy this **** without a chance to avoid bad and low end hardware.

That such things are build onto the mainboard by default is a desaster: it kills economy. The standard user only looks what the new mainboard supports, but dosnt care about whats behind the door. This kills good hardware-manufactueres.

Comment

I noticed this happen when I tried the hardware OpenAL option. It made it seem as though there was no distance attenuation on weapon sounds at all. I'm also currently using Realtek onboard sound (ALC883), with the slightly older 1.82 drivers. I might try sticking a discrete soundcard in to see what happens.

Comment

Well after playing more then one round, I hate to say, the drivers didn't do anything to fix this problem.

Comment

really, really "borked"

i'm on X-Fi fatal1ty, using OpenAL and Blacksite Area 51's OAL dlls

The game don't crash anymore, but positional audio is a mess... it gets all confusing when it mixes with sound FX, footsteps, weapon switches, pickups and other effects (like screaming to do a jump )

Comment

I get the same problem. Today I was dueling on Diesel and I heard footsteps to my right and was shot from across the map with a shock rifle. Also on Deck, similar situations have occurred. I think this should be on Epic's top priority list.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Evil View Post
                        I noticed this happen when I tried the hardware OpenAL option. It made it seem as though there was no distance attenuation on weapon sounds at all. I'm also currently using Realtek onboard sound (ALC883), with the slightly older 1.82 drivers. I might try sticking a discrete soundcard in to see what happens.
                        I have an Asus P5K Pro and experience the same with the 1.85 drivers (dated 21.01.2008). Have tried them all 1.81 through 1.85.

OpenAL ist still borked up on ALC883.

Comment

Working...
                        X