Texture "stretching" problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texture "stretching" problem

I really don't know what to call this, but ill try to explain it the best i can. The in game textures "stretch" up into the sky off of random objects, and not the same ones every time. For example sometimes a streak of texture will stretch off a weapon into the sky, and other times it will be a vehicle, or even a character. It seems to get worse the longer the game runs, eventually with the sky becoming clouded with these stretched textures. I don't know if this is common or not, or if its a graphics card problem.

I have an Nvidia GeForce 7800 gt with the latest drivers with factory clock settings.

Any help is appreciated.

Sounds like overheating.

Does this happen to any other games?

Comment

It happens with newer DirectX games ive noticed. I first saw it in s.t.a.l.k.e.r. and its been in every fps since then, like crysis and now UT3.

Comment

Your GPU is overheating and/or its VRAM is damaged. Maybe try underclocking the VRAM?

Comment

I certainly hope the latter isn't the case! O.O. Anyways, i tried reinstalling the directx drivers to see if that was the problem, and im going to test it in a little while. If thats not the case ill try underclocking like you said. Thanks for the replies!

Comment

Is it on a certain map?

i always notice that problem on DM Gateway map. its liek this green grass texture goes haywire in the mountain/forest section.
            anyone else notice this? and that when im not even overclocked.

Comment

I checked my temp while running the game, and its a consistent 65 degrees celsius. Is that too much?

And for MTL: Not its not one particular level, it happens randomly anywhere and to anything, and not in just UT3 either.

Comment

does it happen even if you lower texture settings a notch?

Comment

Yea it happens no matter what settings its at, seems to only affect first person shooters for some reason :P. Probably because they are the most advanced graphics wise...

Comment

RMA your graphics card for a new one. It's probably faulty.

Comment

I have the same problem.
                      First I had the Catalyst 7.4. Glithches on DM-Gateway, only in the forest area.
                      Yesterday I updated it to 7.12. I could play the map fine. No glitches.

Now it's the same as before. I have tried every option out there.
                      Weird thing is, it's only on DM-Gateway, no other map.

Overheating is ruled out. The temp maxes at 55°.

Can anyone help?

Comment

I think I could pinpoint it to z-compression mode..

I disabled "Fast z clear" and "Z Mask", the texture stretching is GONE!

Comment

Interesting. Had the same problems with Catalyst 7.10 to 7.12 - problems where gone after installation of the new driver, but returned eventually. I've switched to the latest Omega driver, that one doesn't seem to have those problems and runs the map fine, even with Z compression activated.

btw it is a problem with the foliage (e.g. those pesky little plants in DM-Gateway). Some other Maps are also affected, like WAR-Torlan. See this thread:
                          http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=596013

Comment

It is almost a mystery.
                            I'm using ATI Tools.
                            After installing the new driver, the problem seemed to disappear, since the z-compression tweaks were set to default (i.e., off)
                            After the first run of the ATI Tools they were set again, so back to texture annoyances.
                            Was a tricky one indeed.

Comment

Working...
                            X