Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XP 64-bit Install Issues

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    XP 64-bit Install Issues

    Windows XP Professional 64-bit
    2GB DDR2
    AMD BE-2350 (2x2.1GHz low-lower CPU)
    Radeon X1950 Pro
    Asus M2A-VM (motherboard)

    I had the demo installed, and installed the 'fixed' executable for it (found here: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showpo...4&postcount=14 ) then bought the full game.

    Installed the full game, left it at the default of 'no, don't restart' and clicked 'Finish.' Then I realized I still had the demo installed, and ran the uninstaller, and rebooted my machine.

    Then I noticed I didn't have any icons anywhere - Start Menu OR Desktop. Looked in Add/Remove Programs, found the 'Unreal Tournament 3' entry, and it only shows 26.73MB - and I don't have a 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\' folder.

    If I click on 'change' or 'Remove' in Add/Remove Programs: Installshield Wizard kicks in, starts loading, then disappears with just an 'Installshield' notification of '1628: Failed to complete installation.'

    If I put in the DVD, the only option available on the 'Autorun' Menu is to 'Install UT3' ('Launch UT3' and 'Uninstall UT3' are grayed out).

    Running 'Install UT3': prompts for language, then shows splash screen, and the popup says 'Preparing to Install' - after loading, then pops up with a dialog box saying 'Do you want to completely remove the selected application and all of its features?' with options for 'Yes' and 'No.' Selecting 'No' just closes the dialog box, while selecting 'Yes' launches a 'Setup Status' Window with a bar, saying that 'Unreal Tournament 3 is configuring your new software installation,' But a 'Feature transfer error' window pops up saying: 'Error: -1605 This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.' I can only click 'Ok' which jumps the wizard to 'The wizard was interrupted before Unreal Tournament 3 could be completely installed.'

    So basically the game is 'installed' as much as Add/Remove Programs cares, and the setup file is there...but that appears to be it.

    Any ideas? Reinstalling my OS isn't really an option (if I'd just installed, I'd say yes...but I've got a ton of games installed) Would like to find a way to manually remove whatever makes it think it is (partially) installed - Epic, perhaps a full uninstaller should be made? (That nukes all entries?) Seems XP-64-bit doesn't like the beta or full release.

    Also, my DVD's 'label' is 'UT3_RC7' - not sure if that's the way it should be or not. (Might I have gotten an RC disc by mistake?)

    I'm a techie, so I have no problems digging around to fix this, but want to get it fixed relatively quickly, so I can get to playin

    Thanks!

    #2
    The only thing I can think of is running a registry cleaner (At your own risk).
    and try re-installing.
    And the RC7 is on all disks...I was pretty disturbed when I saw that too...
    I bought a release candidate....(Makes me wonder if Midway decided to use us PC users as beta testers for the PS3...heck why pay people to beta test when you can get your fanbase to pay you! :P)

    Comment


      #3
      try deleting all the UT3 files from the directory, you can also use this program which is free

      http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-dow...regcleaner.exe

      look for all the reg entries and delete them and try again, i've used this program before and it's helped alot. It also lets you remove any programs from add/remove if you cant remove it your self.


      Just wondering.....why you running 64-bit windows since you only have 2gigs of ram?.

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Erdnase, about why I'm running XP-64 with only 2GB of RAM, I was planning on upgrading it soon when I had the cash. Board can handle 4x2GB sticks.

        Removed the entry from the registry (manually), found it here:
        [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield_{BFA90209-7AFF-4DB6-8E4B-E57305751AD7}]
        (After exporting it, of course)

        I was expecting to find it under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, though. Probably part of what hosed it.

        There was NO C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\ directory to delete.

        Nuked that entry, attempted a reinstall, and the install took as long as I expected it to (a while), instead of the ~5 minutes it took the first time it "installed."

        Seems to be working now.

        Comment

        Working...
        X