UT3 and Dual/Quad cores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 and Dual/Quad cores

I'll soon make a new computer purchase, and I just found that I can get a Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz or a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz for just about the same price. So in terms of running UT3, would the additional cores in the Quad make up for it's slower processing, or is just raw power ideal in this case?

The Q6600 would be more powerful overall, UT3 and otherwise. I'm not saying UT3 uses all 4 cores but it can't hurt for the same price!

Comment

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3127&p=4

That help?
      (Note: I didn't read all of it...)

Comment

A quad g0 can clock to 3.6 ghz with decent cooling no problem btw.

Comment

I also made had to make the same decision and I decided that quad is the way to go ... I don't regret doing so. I easily OCed mine to 3.0 and with effort could probably get to 3.4 but I am happy for now.

Comment

A move from a single to dual core has a greater performance jump then from a dual core to quad core in UT3. But if the cost is the same go quad.

Comment

I forgot the technical phrase of it but UT3 uses 2 full cores and some small stuff which you could then use the other cores for.

So yeah you get a small performance increase when going from Dual to Quad.

Comment

Agreed. Unless Intel has started gimmicking its clock numbers, 2 x 3 = 6Ghz... 2.4 x 4 = 9.6Ghz. Of course you don't gain the full benefit because there's always some loss when adding additional cores or processors, but you're still going to have both more raw power and better multithreading capabilities.

Comment

Go if you're going to make maps. You will get HUGE speed boost when compiling maps.

Comment

Originally posted by FieroGT42 View Post
                    Agreed. Unless Intel has started gimmicking its clock numbers, 2 x 3 = 6Ghz... 2.4 x 4 = 9.6Ghz. Of course you don't gain the full benefit because there's always some loss when adding additional cores or processors, but you're still going to have both more raw power and better multithreading capabilities.
                    That's not quite how multiple cores work....2 cores together don't work at 100% efficiency.

Comment

i get better frame rates from my dual quad 3 with a 7300gt than on my P4 3 with a 7600gs, so i think alot of work goes on in the cpu.
                      so go quad. its that way i'm going when i upgrade my P4.

Comment

well i have a q6600 and its used about 50% at max when plaing ut3 and it's using all 4 course equaly much wich is very good, many games dont thats upport 4 cores!

So yeah a dual would handle it but 2 more cores man

Comment

The CPU is not making much difference on this game, those benchmarks are at low resolution which shows the CPU's pure speed. At high resolution it's not going to get you any real big gains, main thing you'll notice is just better smoothness and more stable frame rates.

Comment

Don't forget that you have an operating system running as well. The extra cores will help the OS maintain operations in parallel with the game. In other words, multitasking operations improve over a dual core and the OS has more options to offload it's own work while you play the game. In Vista, this is even more important because of the tasks associated with the sidebar (if you run it) or Google desktop (if you run it).

Comment

Quad over duo and duo over single.
                              UT3 is optimized for multicore systems.
                              So more cores is always a good thing.
                              Only bug at the moment is that with dual and quadcore processors UT3 suffers from stuttering, the cores get overload, hang on 100% and UT3 freezes for a moment.
                              When this is fixed, theres no way why not to go duo or quad.

Comment

Working...
                              X