will a new vid card improve load times?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will a new vid card improve load times?

i'm pretty happy with UT3 running at 1024x768 on my AGP 6800GT, but i've heard it confirmed that NVIDIA will release an 8800 for AGP.. so i'm curious what kind of improvement i would see with that in my system..

i have an Athlon XP 3200+ and 2 gigs PC3200..

my monitor's native res is 1600x1200 but my 6800GT can't come close to that res in UT3.. also i'm having slow load times - by the time i'm in a warfare map, my power core is vulnerable... lol.. would a better graphics card help map load times at all?

thanks!

If the only component you're upgrading in your system is the video card, don't hold your breath for a big boost to load times. The best/easiest/fastest way to reduce load times is to lower your in-game texture quality (and to a smaller degree, world and model detail).

Having a better graphics card can actually increase the load times, unless you run it under the same settings you do now, or it has better RAM (GDDR#) than your current one. Your resolution won't matter for load times (just at run time), but if you have textures set to 5, you'll be loading significantly more data than you do at a lower setting.

Hardware-wise, the simplest way to boost load times is by RAIDing your harddrives or getting a 10,000 RPM drive (or both, if you're really into it).

Comment

Originally posted by Azymn View Post
      If the only component you're upgrading in your system is the video card, don't hold your breath for a big boost to load times. The best/easiest/fastest way to reduce load times is to lower your in-game texture quality (and to a smaller degree, world and model detail).

Having a better graphics card can actually increase the load times, unless you run it under the same settings you do now, or it has better RAM (GDDR#) than your current one. Your resolution won't matter for load times (just at run time), but if you have textures set to 5, you'll be loading significantly more data than you do at a lower setting.

Hardware-wise, the simplest way to boost load times is by RAIDing your harddrives or getting a 10,000 RPM drive (or both, if you're really into it).

DONT open a RAID without professional hardware. ****. Such a stupid onboard or cheap controller **** will produce: slower datarates while CPU is busy. (In most games, the CPU is hardly used). Access times will increase dramatically. VERY BAD.

Never make a RAID if you dont have a professional RAID Controller with XOR engine and RISC CPU and a big amount of RAM on it (128MByte is minimum).

And never make a RAID if you dont have a third hardisk for backups. Even a RAID 5 is not secure without a backup. The RAID Controller itself is a weak spot compared to a standard IDE/SATA controller wich will never die, and perhaps an SATA/IDE drive is useable on every machine, a RAID controller uses the connectet hardisk different from RAID controllers from other brands most times. Adaptec stores RAID informations on the hardisk directly, while others dont. (ICP Vortex)

Comment

hmm.. ok. i don't feel the need to do a big hard drive upgrade - i have a decent SATA controller and UT is on a super new 7200 RPM..

do you think an 8800 would let me achieve 1600x1200? i can run UT2004 at 1600x1200 like it's nothing - with graphics at maximum settings..

Comment

Your CPU, ram, PSU, and AGP will hold you back

Originally posted by ford442 View Post
          hmm.. ok. i don't feel the need to do a big hard drive upgrade - i have a decent SATA controller and UT is on a super new 7200 RPM..

do you think an 8800 would let me achieve 1600x1200? i can run UT2004 at 1600x1200 like it's nothing - with graphics at maximum settings..
          Your performamce will be very limited by the CPU. Single cores perform poorly so you may not see any improvement at all. In fact, you may see less preformance as the 8800 series requires more sysyem resources. You should have at least 1.5GB ram for an 8800 card. Also, your power supply may not be good enough for an 8800 card.

I cannot run graphics at max settings at 1600x1200 without dropping to 40 fps on my rig. So you need something way better than what I have to do that. And an XP athlon with AGP is not even close.

Opty 180 @ 2.6GHz
          DFI Infinity NF4 SLI
          2GB DDR400 (value ram)
          2 X 7950GT 570MHz 512MB SLI
          Ageia PhysX
          SB Live 24 bit (1.004.0055 driver)
          XP64 SP2 until Linux port arrives
          1600x1200, 3-3 quality, 50-85 FPS (I set a 85 FPS cap for offline)

Comment

hmm - sorry if what i said got a little muddled - i don't expect to run UT3 at max settings - just 1600x1200 so things look sharp like when i play UT2k4..

i do have 2 gigs of ram.. i've never heard that before that an 8800 uses more resources.. you mean it hogs system ram? my PSU is not bad - 450W i believe..

well.. i'll reconsider and investigate more.. the AGP 8800 is months off anyway i suspect...

Comment

More RAM imo

Just to give an example;
              A few months back my ram failed & I had to RMA it. (2x 512mb Ballistix DDR dual chan)

I stuck in some old, scrounged dimms, summat ghastly like 128 or 256mb of 133mhz ram from god knows where, and suddenly not only was my in-game performance sheisty, but it was taking like 5/6 minutes (not an exaggeration) to load each map, we would often be 0-1 or 0-2 down in vctf before I even got into the game.
              (this was under 2K4)

Eventually I got my own memory back and load times were back to about 20/30 seconds.

Comment

Working...
              X