UT3 and Vista?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 and Vista?

I'm planning to buy myself a new computer soonishly, which will come with a new harddrive and a Vista CD. However, I'm wondering if I should move over my current drive (containing XP) and install Vista on this same drive, and leave the new drive for games and such?

Or would it be wiser to let the OS's have a drive each?

btw, if I install an application or game in XP, will I be able to run it from Vista?

I tried the demo on Vista...

It sucked horrendously. Vista sucks in general but UT3 is already a pain in the but to get working well... throw vista into the mix and it's like stabbing yourself in the face with a rusty fish hook.

I'd suggest staying with windows xp... not just for UT3

Comment

just dual boot find out your self.
      anyway can tell ut3 runs great on vista tbh.
      other games have no issues for me either.
      if installed sp1 rc build 658 tough wich gives noticeable performance boost asswell but even without runs aceptable ;>

Comment

I dunno my ATI card was clocked down about 200mhz in the driver for vista... and it still got incredibly hot doing simple tasks... in XP it's running at about half the temperature at twice the clock speed... I can't explain that.

Additionally vista is slow... someone just benched XP sp3 against Vista sp1 and in simple tasks XP beat vista by over 100% in speed.

I don't see the point to upgrading.

Comment

I'm running beautifully on Vista 64-bit.

Comment

Keep XP if you are going to use an Nvidia card. Gamespot's review of UT3 shows better FPS with XP and Nvidia, but no difference between XP and Vista with ATI (see these two pages--scroll to the bottom sections). You'll definitely want to test once you get your system.

Comment

Originally posted by cel4145 View Post
              Keep XP if you are going to use an Nvidia card. Gamespot's review of UT3 shows better FPS with XP and Nvidia, but no difference between XP and Vista with ATI (see these two pages--scroll to the bottom sections). You'll definitely want to test once you get your system.
              VERY interesting bench. TY

Comment

With Nvidia I'm guessing it's a driver issue, if they can fix it they will. That is a big difference though.

Windy is your new drive faster, IE old drive 5200RPM and new drive 10,000 RPM? You want the OS and games on the fastest drive you've got. Just clone over XP if the new drive is faster so you can dual boot.

Comment

My system is: Nvidia gforce 7950 gt 570m XFX, HD sata II 7200 rpm seagate, 4 gb ddr kingston, motherboard a8n sli deluxe and amd atlhon 64 x2 3800+, windows vista 64 bits.
                  UT3 is running on level 3 very well (a tiny little stopping) and the nvidia driver in all quality, include 16 af and 8s aa.

Comment

Vista 32 or Vista 64?

Originally posted by Windy View Post
                    I'm planning to buy myself a new computer soonishly, which will come with a new harddrive and a Vista CD. However, I'm wondering if I should move over my current drive (containing XP) and install Vista on this same drive, and leave the new drive for games and such?

Or would it be wiser to let the OS's have a drive each?

btw, if I install an application or game in XP, will I be able to run it from Vista?
                    You know there are 2 different vista OS? The Vista 32 and the Vista 64. Seems like Vista 32 is the one with most of the problem issues.

Comment

Go XP, benchmarks dont pickup stuttering and lagging since Vista uses more memory(Vista 64bit even more) and UT3 runs better in XP. Not just UT3 but Oblivion as well, it turns into a stutter fest in the grass on Vista.

Comment

I was playing on Vista but UT3 can't find any server under it(Yes. I've disabled firewall and stuff.) No problems noticed in XP.

Comment

Stick with Windows XP. Alough Vista has improved alot for gaming and it's nice to use it, but XP offers more frame rates and better overall performace.

I've just went back to XP after using Vista 64 for over a month and i've noticed a huge difference in frame rates, but it's probably a driver issue, but Vista SLi performace still sucks...so if you have SLi use XP, at least for now until SP1 comes out for Vista.

Comment

Working...
                          X