Can not install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can not install

I can not install this game!!! It’s very frustraded.
    WinXP sp2 - 32bit - all updates
    AMD X2 6000+ - Dual core opt. driver installed
    8800 GTS - 163.75

In normal WinXP mode I only see first language select screen then all thing vanish without any error!?
    Tryed also in WinXP safe mode but then I got error "#1628 Failed to complete installation" (I even try both solution found on net (one with registry search and one fotr system restore) - nothing works.
    Epic, what's with that bad Install procedur. I see that its comming out first (101 or 102) patch but in change log is nothing about install problems. Bump
    Can anybody help?

maybe you need all of those crappy M$ Hotfiexes?

Comment

How could a patch help your installation problems?

There's threads that deal with these issues.

But if admins don't wanna sticky anything I'm afraid we haven't seen the last of these threads.

Comment

That's my point.
        Patch can not help my problem and as I can see I'm not only one with that

And to answer eXeCuTioNeR - I Installed ALL hofixes available, new instrallshield (some people tryed even that)..., ms hotfix for install etc.

I just want to play and be wicked

Comment

MAYBE an CRC Error cuased by an old/defect DVD-ROM..
          Just guessing 'cause I hadn't any problems at all.

Comment

Originally posted by eXeCuTioNeR View Post
            MAYBE an CRC Error cuased by an old/defect DVD-ROM..
            Just guessing 'cause I hadn't any problems at all.
            I think there have been some suggestions for that, too, about how to copy and install UT3 directly from the hard drive.

Comment

Nope. I have 3 DVD drives on this comp: 2 Pioneer's and 1 Teac (all with latest firmware).
              I can say that from listening other people and isolating this problem on my 2 comp's(!?), that the problem is in install procedure which is beadly writen and released without proper checks and testing. That's not the way (goes to Epic)!
              Just one more thing - why then not Epic release info on how to copy/paste this files and which registry keys, ini's etc. and I will make them Install file

Comment

Hi Zeljko. Does this help: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...highlight=1628.

If not, please detail your system (OS, hardware, etc).

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for effort WarTourist.
                  "...Does this help: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...highlight=1628."
                  Nope. Not helping. I tried that yesterday.
                  Ok. system specs:
                  WinXP sp2 pro 32bit - with all updates
                  AMD X2 6000+ - Dual core optimization driver installed
                  Nvidia 8800 GTS 640 MB - 163.75 Driver installed
                  Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe, audio on board
                  2 GB Corsair DDR2-800
                  3 DVD drives (plextor 111D etc.)
                  Software runing:
                  nod32 - I uninstall'd it and the problem stayed
                  Other stuff:
                  Game log - obviusly can not post that
                  memory dump - obviusly none - I can't install.
                  Before clicking 'ok' on 1628 error (in Safe mode!) it copyies to temp dir only ca. 10 files.
                  In normal mode it copies only ca. 6 files to temp dir - and i dont get any error, install just vanish
                  EDIT: I tried to copy files to hard drive and then install - problem stayed.

Can anybody help?

Comment

Sorry my suggestion wasn't a help. And this won't help you either right now, but you might provide information on whether or on the UT3 beta demo would install and run. Perhaps that would help Epic to localize the problem.

Comment

I had this very same problem, I consulted the Midway Support, but nothing helped. Until I used a later XP version that I had which was the original Win XP and the game installed fine. Though I had some problems with that version of windows and I re-installed my computer with the latest Win XP sp2 and the installation doesn't work.

The problem is with SP2 and the new windows installer, which Microsoft says is broken. Only problem is that trying to fix it with newer version of the installer like Microsoft said didn't remove the problem and the game still won't install.

So, if you really want to fix the problem you have to locate a later version of the windows (a not sp2 version) and re-install your operating system.

I don't want to fix the problem like that, so I see myself shafted unless Epic comes up with somesort of alternate way to install the game. I am experimenting with few ways, so if I find out I'll post the solution. But right now, Epic has fumbled and dropped the ball. But since the problem only occurs on very few of us, they don't seem to be in a hurry to fix the problem in any way. Thanks a million tho for a great game.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko View Post
                        Nope. Not helping. I tried that yesterday.
                        After you select the language button, you get a new splash (looks like the cover of the box) and a little box in the lower right? Then they both vanish after 2 seconds?

Do you see a thermometer bar on the little window in the lower right? Does the bar move?

Comment

I don't see anything before, during or after the installer crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by WarTourist View Post
                            After you select the language button, you get a new splash (looks like the cover of the box) and a little box in the lower right? Then they both vanish after 2 seconds?

Do you see a thermometer bar on the little window in the lower right? Does the bar move?
                            After language selection and clicking "ok", some tiny form appear just for 1/4 sec in lower right corner and a image in the midlle of the screen also for 1/4 sec. They both vanish very fast without an error.

Regarding a demo UT3 - i did not try to install that. but I will try it, after i downloaded it.

Hm, formating a drive? I will try that with WinXP without sp1 or sp2 and sequentaly adding them after probing to install, but on weekend. Not very happy with that solution but for me playing this game is at this moment a priority issue

It looking like a rainy weekend

Comment

Anybody???

Comment

Working...
                              X