Can not install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD player is the problem

cybnetic et al., I could not install either, but I have it going now. Here is what happened to me on my WinXP SP2 machine:

My install halted with "Error 1305. Error reading file from C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC\Private\Maps\WAR-Torlan_Necris_LOC_ITA.upk. Verify file that the file exists and that you can access it."

I tried copying the entire contents of the DVD to a folder on my desktop. But on my machine the copying froze at Data6.cab.

By the way, I have Vista on my machine on another drive, and I see the same error. I have very little installed on the Vista drive now, so a software conflict is an unlikely cause.

I contacted Midway and they insisted my DVD burner needed a firmware upgrade. I have a Sony DVD RW DW-Q104 drive. I couldn't find a firmware upgrade for this.

So...I took my UT3 disk and copied the contents into a desktop folder on a PC at my work. I then burned the contents to two DVDs (for some reason when you burn the contents back to a blank DVD [DVD+R for me] you need two DVDs because there isn't enough room on a standard DVD).

I then copied the contents of the two DVDs into one folder on my home PC, and installed with SetupUT3.exe. It works!

The game runs really nice on my mid-range machine at 1280 x 800 with "Vivid" settings. Played for about an hour. I am most impressed with the gameplay so far, but this installation problem is ridiculous.

Comment

Hi Cyber. Can you please try logging your install to see help us see what's going on?

Here's what I used:

I opened a command window (start->run->type "cmd") and in that window typed: ut3setup /Verbose"c:\temp\install.log".

There was already a c:\temp folder and in it after the install was an install.log file.
      Does that generate a log for you?

Comment

Hi, I get a very similar error but out of the 2 times i have installed it they have either been a character missing or the deviance map, So it looks like some sort of problem with the dvd

Its a shame really becoz this game looks great and for the only time ive played it was alot of fun, considering im making a mod for it as well.

Can any1 help with this?

I can give you one of the errors i have been getting

Error 1305. Error Reading from file E:\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC\Private\Maps\DM-Defiance.ut3

Any suggestions would be appreicated

thanks

Comment

Hi I'm also having trouble installing UT3... sort of. It's quite bizarre and very different from the issues described so far.

The game successfully launches the installer and begins installing but after all the files are copied over, Windows (XP SP2) asks to block or allow UT3 from accessing the net. A few moments after that I get a windows application error: "UT3.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. Send Error Report / Don't Send" yadayada. But the installer isn't dead yet, says it is finished and asks if I want to launch UT3. If I say yes, I get a prompt that says UTEngine.ini is outdated, do I want to automatically update it. Say yes and I get another "windows app needs to close" error. Try running UT3 via start menu or desktop shortcut and I get the error again.

The funny thing is that although Windows says UT3 is installed, UT3 doesn't think so. Stick in the disk and it prompts to install all over again. I also get the same error during (but not hindering) uninstalling the game. Another funny is that the disk never brings up the install/readme etc. prompt, it goes straight to the setup and its language selection.

I've tried installing across a network and by copying the disk contents to the hard drive first but no change. I've also tried capturing the InstallShield log as described in this thread but I can't find any reported errors in it's 23MB output. The game installs fine on my dad's PC so it's definitely not the disk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Durayel View Post
            Hi I'm also having trouble installing UT3... sort of. It's quite bizarre and very different from the issues described so far.

The game successfully launches the installer and begins installing but after all the files are copied over, Windows (XP SP2) asks to block or allow UT3 from accessing the net. A few moments after that I get a windows application error: "UT3.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. Send Error Report / Don't Send" yadayada. But the installer isn't dead yet, says it is finished and asks if I want to launch UT3. If I say yes, I get a prompt that says UTEngine.ini is outdated, do I want to automatically update it. Say yes and I get another "windows app needs to close" error. Try running UT3 via start menu or desktop shortcut and I get the error again.

The funny thing is that although Windows says UT3 is installed, UT3 doesn't think so. Stick in the disk and it prompts to install all over again. I also get the same error during (but not hindering) uninstalling the game. Another funny is that the disk never brings up the install/readme etc. prompt, it goes straight to the setup and its language selection.

I've tried installing across a network and by copying the disk contents to the hard drive first but no change. I've also tried capturing the InstallShield log as described in this thread but I can't find any reported errors in it's 23MB output. The game installs fine on my dad's PC so it's definitely not the disk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
            Try installing the game after a clean boot:

From Midway support:

Clean Boot Procedure

Clean Boot Procedure: (Taken from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815069 )

When you start Microsoft Windows, typically there are a number of programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the game. These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean boot, you prevent these programs from starting automatically. You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

To restart your computer by using a clean boot procedure, follow these steps when you are using Windows XP.

Note You may experience a temporary loss of some services functionality when you follow these steps. Restoring the settings restores the functionality, but may result in the return of the original error message or behavior.

For Windows XP:

Click Start, and then click Run.
            In the Open box, type msconfig, and then click OK.
            On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
            Under Selective Startup, click to clear the following check boxes:
            Process SYSTEM.INI File
            Process WIN.INI File
            Load Startup Items
            On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
            Click OK, and then click Restart.

For Windows Vista:

Click the Start Windows Icon. In the Start Search box, type msconfig, and hit enter.
            On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
            Under Selective Startup, click to clear the following check boxes:
            Load Startup Items
            On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
            Click OK, and then click Restart.

When finished, you can return the computer to its original configuration by following steps 1- 6, taking care to enable those processes that you disabled.

The point of the clean boot is to remove all elective process from your system. If you can run the game on a clean booted system--this suggests the problem you were having was caused by interference from one of the other processes or programs running on your system. Though we try, Midway is unable to ensure all possible programs that a user may run will not interfere or sometimes detract from PC game performance. It is always recommended to run as little as possible in the background or in the system tray when trying to play a PC video game.

Comment

I forgot to mention that I did reinstall Windows and attemped to install UT3 first thing but there was no change. I'll try it anyway though thanks.

Comment

Instagibbed, I tried your method and although it didn't work, I got a different result. Almost half-way through the install I get an error:

"Error 1335:The cabinet file 'Data3.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package. Abort/Retry/Ignore"

This would suggest a fault with the disk or the DVD drive but as I've said, I've tried installing over the network from my dad's PC (which didn't work) and onto his PC (which did work). I have updated my DVD drive's firmware as also suggested in this thread. Sigh

The file being copied at the time is "CTF-Vertebrae_LOC_ESN.upk".

Comment

Instagibbed, I tried your method and although it didn't work, I got a different result. Almost half-way through the install I get an error:

"Error 1335:The cabinet file 'Data3.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package. Abort/Retry/Ignore"

This would suggest a fault with the disk or the DVD drive but as I've said, I've tried installing over the network from my dad's PC (which didn't work) and onto his PC (which did work). I have updated my DVD drive's firmware as also suggested in this thread. Sigh

The file being copied at the time is "CTF-Vertebrae_LOC_ESN.upk".
                  All you need to do there is update the firmware on your DVD drive. The easiest way to do that is to contact your computer manufacturer. If you built your own computer though, you will need to directly contact your DVD Rom manufacturer.

I may be able to provide some assistance in finding correct firmware for you, but I would need to know the make and model of your dvd rom. If your computer was built by a manufacturer, just give me their name and model of your computer. (example: Dell XPS 700)

Edit:

I just read the part where you say you updated your firmware. You may not have updated to the most current version and if you did, you may need to buy a new DVD Rom.

In either case, I'm still willing to find the correct firmware if you need.

This is what Midway support would say:

Unreal Tournament 3 Error 1335 during installation
                  If you are experiencing an Error: 1335 during installation:

1) Verify you are running NTFS File System. It is common to receive this error if attempting to install on a FAT or FAT32 File System.

a) Go to "Go to "Start > My Computer"
                  b) Right click on your C: Drive (or the drive you are attempting to install to) and select Properties.
                  c) Verify File System is NTFS. If it is not NTFS, you will need to convert it in order to install the game correctly.

2) Update your Windows Installer. It is possible your Windows Installer is out of date. Luckily, UT3 comes with the installer required to install the game on the DVD.

a) Go to "Start > My Computer" and explore your DVD Drive (Commonly the D: Drive)
                  b) Run the file on the UT3 DVD called WindowsInstaller-KB893803-x86.exe
                  c) Restart your computer and try to install again.

3) Update your DVD Drive Firmware. You may need to update the firmware for your DVD Drive. The easiest way to do this is to visit your computer manufacturers website. They usually have an option for "Support and Drivers" or something similar. There is also an online library of DVD/CD-ROM drive firmware at the following link:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

If you cannot find the firmware for you DVD Drive and your have enough space on your Harddrive, you can also copy the contents of the DVD to your Harddrive and run the Setup from your Harddrive.

Comment

During my several re-installs of the game, I have each time had to put up with the old 'File X is corrupt' error messages a number of times. For me it just eventually worked - apparently there was no reason. Today I only had to try 4 or 5 times, but once it took a couple of hours. Now, of course, I have different problems (C++ runtime death!), but still...I'm afraid that for some people in this thread, their only course of action will be to try again, and again, and again...

Comment

Thanks Instagibbed. Yep I have updated my drive's firmware. It's a Sony DRU-810A DVD writer. I got the firmware off Sony's website which updated it from 1.0a to 1.0f IIRC. My HDD is NTFS formatted and I can see by the add/remove programs that the UT3 installer automatically ran the Windows Installer patch.

I have tried copying the disk contents to my HDD first and installing from there and over a network from my dad's Samsung DVD-ROM, which installs it just fine on his PC. No change

Comment

Thanks Instagibbed. Yep I have updated my drive's firmware. It's a Sony DRU-810A DVD writer. I got the firmware off Sony's website which updated it from 1.0a to 1.0f IIRC. My HDD is NTFS formatted and I can see by the add/remove programs that the UT3 installer automatically ran the Windows Installer patch.

I have tried copying the disk contents to my HDD first and installing from there and over a network from my dad's Samsung DVD-ROM, which installs it just fine on his PC. No change
                        I'm very confused as to why it wont install on your computer. This is the first case I've seen that followed the steps provided by Midway and it didn't work. It's possible that your DVD Rom is just too old? I don't know.. Grabbing for straws now.

Comment

Nope it's definitely not the DVD-ROM otherwise it would've worked over the network. Thanks for your help though, I think I'll upgrade my dad's PC a bit and borrow that from him.

Comment

Nope it's definitely not the DVD-ROM otherwise it would've worked over the network. Thanks for your help though, I think I'll upgrade my dad's PC a bit and borrow that from him.
                            Not necessarily. The only way to be sure of that would be to completely uninstall your current DVD Rom and exchange it with your Dads. Make sure the correct firmware is installed and then try to install it again.

Do you have all of the Microsoft updates? Pleanty of disk space?

Comment

Interesting idea. But if it installed fine on his PC, then how could my DVD drive be at fault, if it still doesn't install over the network (which takes my DVD drive out of the equation)? Guess it's still worth a try before slapping down the money to upgrade my dad's.

I had all the updates before I reinstalled Windows yeah, and made plenty of room on the HDD for UT.

Comment

Interesting idea. But if it installed fine on his PC, then how could my DVD drive be at fault, if it still doesn't install over the network (which takes my DVD drive out of the equation)? Guess it's still worth a try before slapping down the money to upgrade my dad's.

I had all the updates before I reinstalled Windows yeah, and made plenty of room on the HDD for UT.
                                I'm not a network expert, so I can't answer that question with authority. However, without the drive being physically in your computer, I wouldn't rule it out. After you do that, post here. If it still doesn't work, I'll try to do some more research to find a good answer for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X