No announcement yet.

Can not install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks I'll give it a bash later and let you know.

Comment

No luck
      Sigh. Time to order some hardware.

Comment

I'm still convinced the problem lies in your software and not your hardware.

You said you tried even copying the contents of the DVD to your Harddrive and run the setup from your harddrive?

Comment

Yup. Also tried formatting and loading Windows from scratch and trying UT3 first thing, in case there was some existing conflict. No joy.

Quick Q, what is UT3 supposed to do if you try and run it on a PC that doesn't have a graphics card or is using an old unsupported one? Is it actually supposed to say "Sorry bud, not gonna happen" or would it just die? I tried running UT3 on my dad's PC (where it installed fine), there was disk access for a while and then a splash screen and finally a Windows application error. I just want to check that this is normal for on-board video and that I'm not in for more **** on my dad's PC even if I buy a graphics card for it.

Comment

It will usually crash.

Try also to install after a clean boot, perhaps theres some software conflict. This link is to Midway support where they outline a clean boot:

http://www.fuzeqna.com/midway/consum...l.asp?kbid=240

Clean Boot Procedure

Clean Boot Procedure: (Taken from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815069 )

When you start Microsoft Windows, typically there are a number of programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the game. These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean boot, you prevent these programs from starting automatically. You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

To restart your computer by using a clean boot procedure, follow these steps when you are using Windows XP.

Note You may experience a temporary loss of some services functionality when you follow these steps. Restoring the settings restores the functionality, but may result in the return of the original error message or behavior.

For Windows XP:

Click Start, and then click Run.
            In the Open box, type msconfig, and then click OK.
            On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
            Under Selective Startup, click to clear the following check boxes:
            Process SYSTEM.INI File
            Process WIN.INI File
            Load Startup Items
            On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
            Click OK, and then click Restart.

For Windows Vista:

Click the Start Windows Icon. In the Start Search box, type msconfig, and hit enter.
            On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
            Under Selective Startup, click to clear the following check boxes:
            Load Startup Items
            On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
            Click OK, and then click Restart.

When finished, you can return the computer to its original configuration by following steps 1- 6, taking care to enable those processes that you disabled.

The point of the clean boot is to remove all elective process from your system. If you can run the game on a clean booted system--this suggests the problem you were having was caused by interference from one of the other processes or programs running on your system. Though we try, Midway is unable to ensure all possible programs that a user may run will not interfere or sometimes detract from PC game performance. It is always recommended to run as little as possible in the background or in the system tray when trying to play a PC video game.

Comment

Yup I've tried the clean boot thanks and netdevil's extracting method too. No joy.

Comment

I hate to say it, but I am out of answers for you. I am still convinced it is some type of software conflict or there is an update or hotfix missing that you have not installed yet.

Try contacting your manufacturer and see if they have anything more for you?

Comment

Ok I didn't read this WHOLE thread, so I imagine everyone has gone through all the regular 'Googled' stuff to get rid of this error, including get rid of WinRar.

None of this helped for me either......BUT......

I FINALLY got everything loaded with no problems, by updating the motherboard BIOS.

Hope this helps out some of the users that have NOT been able to get it fixed any other way.

I had just put this computer together and was having problems, heres my equipment list:

Motherboard - Asus PK5 Deluxe Socket LGA775
                  Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz
                  Video Card - Nvidia 8800 GTX OC 768mb GDDR3
                  Hard Drive - Seagate 500GB 7200rpm
                  DVD Drive - Asus
                  Case - Antek Case
                  Power Supply - Antek 550 watts
                  Memory - 2gig Corsair 8500C5D / 1066mhz DDR2
                  Monitor - Acer 24" Wide screen
                  Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 Surround Speakers
                  Logitech Cordess Keyboard & Mouse
                  Duel Boot Windows Vista - Home Premium / Mandriva Linux

Comment

anyone getting the error: "1628: Failed to complete installation"
                    this occurs when i try to uninstall the game because it wont play. what does the error mean and does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Comment

Well I've triede all the fixes listed in this thread and still no joy...also just updated my mo BIOS, so trying to install once again....if this doesn't work then I don't know anymore.

Comment

Ok I Give Up!!!!

Comment

join the growing crowd on that one...

Comment

Can not install

I bought UT3 today and was gutted this evening when the install kept freezing. It froze just after the installation of the AGEIA, when it is just the InstallWizard screen.

I managed to fix it though, by opening task manager and ending the process named amdcpusetup.exe. Once I had done this, the installer carried on straight through. If you have already been trying to install without rebooting then there may be more than one of these processes to stop.

I hope that this helps some of you.

Take it easy.

Comment

your lucky it even started to install. good luck

Comment

I know how everyone feels cos I got the same prob....... Difference is that I did get the game to load, my drive died so I bought a new one and thats when my trouble began. I just thought that it may be registry related as it was installed on this drive which was D: I started to get 1628 errors and 1605 so having read all the posts here am very surprised there are no answers. I have tried everything, clean windows install, dumping temp files, driver cleaner, windows install clean up. Scoured the net and changed reg settings, tried all suggestions on here also so I'm stuck with the rest of you. Not impressed!
                                oh and BTW

I bought the game just after xmas in the new year and when it was loaded I couldn't play cos it kept crashing on the opening animated sequence after opting to play single player......

Hope this gets sorted soon

Comment

Working...
                                X