Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Unreal 3 be tweaked to look better than the maximum settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Unreal 3 be tweaked to look better than the maximum settings?

I've set everything to the max in the game (exept resolution, and even that is 1440x900) running at a good FPS and to be honest... it still looks pretty weak to me.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a giant step foward from UT2004, and I love the game, but after playing COD4 and Crysis...

The thing is.. I keep seeing screenshots supposedly from the game that look awesome, but when I zoom in on a player in the game they look fuzzy and undefined. Especially the armor. Is there some bug perhaps?
    Or have I been spoiled by the other great games recently released?

Maybe some way to make it look even better?

I've tried AA but it doesn't seem to work.

For one you have a pretty outdated video card.

Comment

Game looks great on mine..
      but AA doesn't seem to work..sometimes, at least it's not as noticeable as in a game like..Supreme Commander or something. But I'm probably being picky.

Comment

maybe he just wants uber good settings for screenshots and etc.
        for screenshots would't matter if you tweaked it that high that game ran 1 fps so

also AA only works in dx10 if you got a dx10 capable card like the 8x00 series cards from nvidia
        or 2x00 series from ati

Comment

You can't possibly say Crysis looks better than ut3 with your gfx card. The game is unplayable at settings above medium, and medium looks terrible...

Comment

Originally posted by LordDemitri View Post
            You can't possibly say Crysis looks better than ut3 with your gfx card. The game is unplayable at settings above medium, and medium looks terrible...
            It works fine on medium-high settings.
            Texture quality, postprocessing, physics and water is set to high, the rest in medium and it looks amazing! 0_0

As for the GPU it's the best of 8600 series AFAIK, so it's not all that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by zer0kewl View Post
              maybe he just wants uber good settings for screenshots and etc.
              for screenshots would't matter if you tweaked it that high that game ran 1 fps so

also AA only works in dx10 if you got a dx10 capable card like the 8x00 series cards from nvidia
              or 2x00 series from ati
              So what you're saying is that the game looks a lot better on DX10?
              Or is just the AA enabled?

Comment

Originally posted by threeonefive View Post
                For one you have a pretty outdated video card.
                You're kidding, right?
                First of all, my GPU is not the limiting factor here as i've got FPS to spare in Unreal 3. Secondly, just because it's not the top of the line 8800 doesn't mean it's outdated. It's a great GPU for ppl who don't play games for a living

Comment

Take a look at the customize your charecter model everyone, notice anything different about it?

Those models are much higer poly-count with much better definition than anything currently in the game when playing. I belive those models are in the packed data but the game does not currently support them being played, those are the models you see in those screenshots, so what gives Epic? I have an 8800GT and I do love the game but why are the highest poly best looking models only playable by Epic for advertisement shots?

Obviously my PC can handle a bit more than a PS3 so unlock the goodness!

Comment

Originally posted by LfmC View Post
                    I've set everything to the max in the game (exept resolution, and even that is 1440x900) running at a good FPS and to be honest... it still looks pretty weak to me.
                    Don't get me wrong, it's a giant step foward from UT2004, and I love the game, but after playing COD4 and Crysis...

The thing is.. I keep seeing screenshots supposedly from the game that look awesome, but when I zoom in on a player in the game they look fuzzy and undefined. Especially the armor. Is there some bug perhaps?

You might be experiencing some bug. But I'll do what I can to help you.

If you are in the game, and you turn texture and world detail to 5, then you only have to do a few things to the UTEngine.ini file, which can be found here:

My Documents\MyGames\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config

Look for this section:

[Engine.Client]
                    MinDesiredFrameRate=0.000000

Make sure that is set to 0 - this ensures dynamic lighting and decals at all framerate levels.

As far as enabling FSAA - if you have Vista you shouldn't have a problem. In XP you might be able to force it in the latest Nvidia drivers. Or you can rename your UT3.exe file to BioShock.exe and use the BioShock profile in your Nvidia control panel.

Comment

I had to make a few changes in ATI Control Centre to make it look clean.

i.e. AA (yes, i have Vista)

Comment

Originally posted by LfmC View Post

If ur running on DX9 thats why it looks that way. DX10 makes everything blossom. and its there that UT3 overtakes Gears of War, Crysis, and most definitely COD4 (which really doenst have good gfx by the way, most of its requirements come from advanced physics and mathematics.)

Comment

LOL, COD4 doesn't have "good gfx" that's a joke right? It sure doesn't have uber gfx like UT3 and Crysis but you don't need the same horsepower to play everything in COD4 at full options. I bet a lot of people here who can play COD4 with higer options than UT3 would claim it looks better.

As to the OP statement can anyone point to a link of a user made screenshot that looks as good as the Epic promo shots? Here are three links to "ingame" action from before the release...

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resou...03/ut3_gdc.jpg
                          http://www.beyondunreal.com/staff/ha..._E32007_10.jpg
                          http://www.tech2.com/media/images/20...t3_450x360.jpg

Even my 8800GT doesn't even come close, the models are uber detailed, like I pointed out they look like the charecter selection models not the ingame models. Even the vehicle model is much more detailed, what's up Epic?

Comment

Is that ut 4 or.. is that what ut 3 supposed to look like when its not the crapppy RC 7 beta version i have bought in store....

Comment

Well it's good to know I'm not the only one who noticed this. I thought maybe it was some bug or smthing, but it appears Epic was cheating.

Comment

Working...
                              X