Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 Freezing (100% CPU Usage???)

Problem:
    UT3 keeps freezing on me mostly in the menu's and sometimes in game. My specs are below. I've tried all settings from lowest to 1024X768 with details on 1-3. After some of the tweaks I just have recently been able to run at 800X600 I'm hoping to run at 1024x768 with medium to high settings.

UPDATE:
    Through this little journey I've found that it is normal for single and dual core cpu's to use up to 100% CPU power. SEE THIS THREAD So, after all the tweaks and steps mentioned below I can run flawlessly on 800x600 and now on 1024x768 with fps of 40-120 constant. Never below 40. UT3 is just a monster of a game. My next solution is going to be to upgrade to a 8800 GT graphics card and go from there. I'm getting the performance I asked for in this thread, but I want more now. There is a sister thread Click Here that is for people who can run UT3 Smoothly. I would like to see if anyone there or here is able to run this game with specs close to mine on 1024x768 with high/medium settings.
    I hope all my efforts in this post help some of you.

Here's what I've tried!! (Thanks KentaroKaos!)

1. Various in-game graphics and audio tweaks (enabling/disabling OpenAL, different post-processing settings)
    2. Various UTEngine.ini tweaks. Specifically
    Changed :in UTEngine
    Into: PumpWindowMessagesWhenRenderThreadStalled=True
    Changed:In UTEngine
    Into: bInitializeShadersOnDemand=True
    3. Updating PhysX driver and software (even though I do not have a PhysX card installed)
    4.Varius Tweaks Found Here
    5. Deleting the UnrealTournament 3 folder in Username/My Games folder (the one that would be under My Documents/My Games for people using Windows XP). The game creates a new one after running it again.
    6. Running on lowest possible sound and graphics settings.
    7. Setting bUseSound to FALSE for all three instances in UTEngine.ini.
    8. Playing in offline mode.
    9. Installed AMD Optimizer
    10.Using Nvidia Beta Driver 169.09
    11. Turned Anti Aliasing and Anistropic Filtering "OFF"
    12. Install1.01 Beta Patch
    13.Installed AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver Version 1.3.2.0053
    Upcoming Changes/Tweaks
    14. I may reinstall my Soundblaster Audigy card to take some stress off the cpu. ( skeptical though since it caused crashes on my pc in ut2004)
    15.Kick the machine until it works better!!

specs: AMD X2 4400 | 7800 GT | 2GIG OCZ | ASUS A8N DELUXE| 2GB OCZ Platinum

I should be able to run with my setup. Maybe not the best rig, but at least I should be capable of running the game. Here are some performance pics. This is with anti aliasing off and antistropic off.

Is my cpu that old? Is it that simple that I just need a new 8800 GT card? I've even overclocked it to 2.5 stable and same thing.. sigh... This pic shows the original specs since I originally thought it was a heating issue. But I'm not getting any of the usual overheating characteristics.

Is anyone else having this problem with a similar rig?

Pics:
    1.Froze in Menu 1024x768
    2.Froze on Server Menu 1024x768
    3.Successful run on 800x600

I've no fix I'm afraid but I am getting exactly the same symptoms. I also have an Nvidia but an 8800 using ForceWare 163.75 and I am using a Intel Core 2 6700. I can't determine a pattern but it is worse if hosting a mulitplayer game and nearly always happens when loading the next level. If I reboot, that next level loads without any problem and I may or may not get the self same problem for the level after. At face value, it does seem to be graphics related and it switches my desktop to 640x480 as it crashes.

Any advice welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthVodafone View Post
      I've no fix I'm afraid but I am getting exactly the same symptoms. I also have an Nvidia but an 8800 using ForceWare 163.75 and I am using a Intel Core 2 6700. I can't determine a pattern but it is worse if hosting a mulitplayer game and nearly always happens when loading the next level. If I reboot, that next level loads without any problem and I may or may not get the self same problem for the level after. At face value, it does seem to be graphics related and it switches my desktop to 640x480 as it crashes.

Any advice welcome.
      That just enforces my urge NOT to run out an buy a 8800 gt card for fear of the same problem. I still have a few tricks I want to try like the beta patch and possibly a reinstall of xp. Although I know my pc is clean.

If this was a performance issue wouldn't gears of war create the same type of freezing?

I thought from reading other posts that it may have been an AMD issue, but you have Intel

Comment

Ok, I lied. Gear of War is now maxing my cpu usage and freezing up. Could the bottleneck really be my processor? Motherboard? Or is it just this unreal engine?

Comment

What are you guys using for your sound card?

Also in looking at your pix. I see the processor/memory usage is almost exacty the same in both pix. Coinsidence?

Comment

Originally posted by VIOLATER View Post
            What are you guys using for your sound card?
            Onboard now. I had an Audigy zs 2 before, but I ripped it out cause it was causing my system to crash in UT2004.

It's funny cause I know two people using lower speed processors (AMD X2 4200 AND A X2 3800!!!)! That tell me there not maxing out the CPU. Their Video cards are lesser too. 7600 gt and 6600gt I think..Unless there lying to me I'm baffled

Comment

I posted a possible reason for the freezing for some in the other thread. But you are using onboard now. So that can't be your issue.

Comment

This doesn't get any better now does it...
                I have P dual core with nvidia 8600, but my problem is a bit different. my CPu uses 100% ALL THE TIME once UT3 is up and running, menu or ingame or anything. I've posted more specifically here: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...1#post25121901

dunno if it's nvidia...maybe it's just a problem with a bit of everything i just don't know anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SMooTHRiLL View Post
                  This doesn't get any better now does it...
                  I have P dual core with nvidia 8600, but my problem is a bit different. my CPu uses 100% ALL THE TIME once UT3 is up and running, menu or ingame or anything. I've posted more specifically here: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...1#post25121901

dunno if it's nvidia...maybe it's just a problem with a bit of everything i just don't know anymore
                  Yeah I've been glued to that thread too. That one is more "hitch" specific where I'm freezing up completely in menu's and in game. To the point where I have to hard reboot.

I updated the original post when you wrote this I think. Now you can follow my steps a little better.

Comment

just installed the game on my pc at home, not massive spec but also not the lowest, 7600gs card, 3ghz pentium4 1.5gb ram, if i play offline it goes in fine and i've not had problems but the second i either try and create a profile or try using my profile from the beta it freezes hard, end task doesn't always come up, usually involves a hard reboot, but like i say offline play works fine. when i have got endtask up cpu usage goes up to max but also can sit there on zero

Comment

Originally posted by Gamble View Post
                      Yeah I've been glued to that thread too. That one is more "hitch" specific where I'm freezing up completely in menu's and in game. To the point where I have to hard reboot.

I updated the original post when you wrote this I think. Now you can follow my steps a little better.
                      I bet ya your last *upcoming change* will solve the whole thing

Strange yours freezes in menus I don't have that, just kinda lag

Comment

I had the freezing-forever part of the bugs too.

Here's what I did, the tweaks.

First is in UTEngine.ini

Changed :
                        Into: PumpWindowMessagesWhenRenderThreadStalled=True

Second is in UTEngine.ini

Changed:
                        Into: bInitializeShadersOnDemand=True

Third is ingame (or ini-modifiable too I think)

Changed: Enabled OpenAL audio (I think that's what's it called)

Forth in UTEngine.ini

Change

Into: UseMinimalNVIDIADriverShaderOptimization=True

And installed patch 1.01 Beta

The game works flawlessly.

Hope it helps.
                        Also, have in mind, I am using drivers version 169.09 from nVidia (beta), and onboard audio. Here are my specs: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showpo...&postcount=254

Comment

when you say onboard audio do you mean an audio card(OpenAL) or just the standard motherboard audio?

Comment

Standard onboard audio OpenAL Enabled ingame. I think my onboard Realtek ALC850, Ac '97 8ch audio supports it.
                            Btw, in the link I've posted, my specs were wrong, since I've got 8600 GTS, not 7600 GTS, sorry about the typo.
                            Also, I play the game maxed out @ 1024x768.

Comment

thanks very much, I'll try it once I get home!
                              I really do hope it works

Comment

Working...
                              X