Graphics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphics?

blech. after all the hype, all the time spent, the graphics look like total rubbish.

disapointed to say the least. Any tips on getting them to look good?

Er, specs please, cause the game looks awesome for me, but then, I'm very biased.

Also, get fraps and take some example pics, just to make sure you're not being horrifically elitist.

example shots

[shot]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stopit.tidyup/UT3%20CTF%20Win.jpg[/shot]
    [shot]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stopit.tidyup/UT%20Sandy%203.jpg[/shot]

Comment

Originally posted by Stop It View Post
      Er, specs please, cause the game looks awesome for me, but then, I'm very biased.

Also, get fraps and take some example pics, just to make sure you're not being horrifically elitist.

well the fps seems fine, it just looks like poop.

specs are nvidia 8800 gts 640 mb
      amd64 6000x2
      2 gigs ram

Yours looks a lot better than mine i can tell from your screenshot.

latest drivers blah blah.

I don't get it.

Comment

As I said, example pics please, also, did you remember to go into the advanced Video settings and change the details levels to 5 for both? also, what res do you play at? and are you using XP or Vista?

Comment

As I said, example pics please, also, did you remember to go into the advanced Video settings and change the details levels to 5 for both? also, what res do you play at? and are you using XP or Vista?
          Using XP, lemme mess with it and take some screenies...

Comment

Are you sure you didn't forget to raise the resolution? A mate of mine forgot to raise the resolution and he was complaining about bad graphics as well.

Comment

okay, here is a shot.

1024x768, 4 AA 4 AF.

look at all the jaggies

Comment

To get rid of jaggies, you either need to increase the resolution, or apply Anti-Aliasing.

Comment

AA doesn't work at all for some reason.

Comment

why are you only running at 1024x768? my 8800gts is 60fps smooth at 1600x1200.

1024x760 means that the image is made up of a grid of 720 pixels up and 1024 across. Double the resolution and you increase the amount of pixels on screen 4x.

Ther more pixels the image is made up of the less jaggies you have to deal with, because as the resolution gets lower the pixels get bigger so they have more obvious edges.

1024x760 = 786,432 pixels on screen
                    1200x1600 = 1,920,000 pixels on screen.

So its not only about jaggies, at a higher resolution you can make out more detail from further away.

So yah, the graphics dont look total rubbish - resolution is the way it is, epic cant change that.
                    If you want a the game to look less jagged at lower resolution for any reason and dont have AA at your disposal you can, if possible, hook your pc to a SD TV. Thats like free antialiasing right there, and how console games on SD TV's appear to have less jaggies than PC games at the same resolution

Comment

Originally posted by yabbering yeti View Post
                      why are you only running at 1024x768? my 8800gts is 60fps smooth at 1600x1200.
                      Because I'm a nub. lol

and youre right, it runs at 1600x1200 with 60fps.

so problem fixed. looks much better.

I don't understand why anti-aliasing does not work in this game though....

and i'm using 163.75 nvidia drivers.

thanks for not flaming me lol

Comment

The reason why AA does not work on DX9 mode is 2 fold, firstly, the game uses deferred rendering (See STALKER for another example) which makes AA a nono unless if you use Supersampling, which is a FPS killer, also, Epic have decided to only allow said AA on DX10 mode, mainly because people brave enough to use Vista and DX10 have a beastly enough gfx card to handle Supersampling.

As you seen however, just by bumping up the res you have reduced jaggies anyway, 1024 x 768 is NOT a suitable res for gaming nowadays, especially with decent equipment, as you have seen, you can still run UT3 fine at 1600 x 1200, so do that, problem solved

Comment

Well thanks for the help. It does look a lot better but still... I'm a bit bothered by so few graphic options in the game.

I guess this is the age of the console - pc game. blech.

Comment

Working...
                          X