No announcement yet.

ATI x1900 512mb cards causing game lockup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I solved all ATI unreal engine problems by doing extra cooling on the graphics card... try this yourself.. just put a huge fan on it (open ur box for a moment) and u will probably find that it helps!!!

Comment

Anyone tried with patch 1.3?

I just discovered that one is available. I haven't been paying any attention, pretty much gave up on them providing a fix. Just wondering if anyone had beaten me to testing it on a system that's known to lock up.

You young punks generally being a lot faster than an old geezer like me...

Comment

Still freezes with 1.3 patch.

Comment

Game freezes for me also.Quite often when have just died but not always.Map deck is very bad for freezing while others are a little more forgiving depending on how the wind is blowing.
          Been an epic supporter all through the UT series but am pretty dissapointed with what appears to be a lack of help for alot of their customers regarding this widespread freezing issue.
          If this issue doesn't get resolved I don't see how I could trust buying another epic produced product.
          Even if it isn't a coding issue would still like to know what the cause is.
          Epic,if you are reading please restore my confidence in buying your games by fixing the freezing issues with UT3 and Radeon graphic cards.

Comment

has anyone tried with the 2.0 patch? The release notes mention a crash fix in the ragdoll system that sounds suspect.

Comment

I am not reinstalling that game until I know that it is fixed, It has taken them far too long to do anything about this problem and as far as I know they still have not fixed it since it was not mentioned in the patch list. But if anyone finds the game to be fixed post it in here, Im sure there are still a few people with x1900 and x1950s that would love to play this game without the constant freezing.

Comment

EDIT: Turning off hardware physics *might* have solved the problem. I successfully completed the level below. I'm playing in window mode, but with no freezes so far.
                EDIT2: I've played for over an hour now with no freezes. It used to freeze much more frequently than that. I think turning off hardware physics was the trick for my problem. Maybe it'll help you too (I saw another post that said that helped... not taking credit)
                EDIT3: Turning off hardware physics and playing in windowed mode might have helped somewhat, but I'm still experiencing game freezes, and even a few system crashes. I literally just rebooted from a state in which my monitors went black and my speakers were SCREAMING at me.

BUMP.

Wow Epic. C'mon guys. If you have time for the Titan Pack you have time for this. I'm playing Private Campaign mode and am experiencing continued crashes on the level "Serenity"... To the point that I can't beat it because it always crashes too early. Like others, this is a system-wide crash that totally locks up my entire computer. Ctrl+Alt+Del is useless. I have to hard reset.

My System:
                AMD Phenom 9850 BE
                ATI X1900 XT
                OCZ 2x2GB Dual Channel DDR2 (forgot speed... sort of irrelevant for this issue apparently)
                2x1TB Hard Drives.

Less focus on Titan Pack, more focus on general stability.

Comment

RAM is quite possibly not compatible with the motherboard

Comment

Originally posted by Cyba View Post
                    RAM is quite possibly not compatible with the motherboard
                    False. If that were an issue I'd be having a lot of other problems. My system has been running stable for a long time now. I've played plenty of other games on it fine as well, including UT2k4 with all maxed settings. I also do tons of other RAM-intensive processes such as editing massive .PSDs in Photoshop, and tweaking raw files in Lightroom 2.

This is a serious UT3-related issue that users are experiencing across many different setups that needs to be addressed.

Comment

Hm in that case I will see if I can find another issue.
                      What audio card does your system have?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyba View Post
                        Hm in that case I will see if I can find another issue.
                        What audio card does your system have?
                        I know you're trying to help, but these basic troubleshooting questions are not helpful. I've read the entire thread and this isn't some simple Geek Squad type problem. There many different X19xx cards, CPUs, chipsets, sound cards, system RAM amounts and brands, GRAM amounts, driver versions, game settings, that users have and yet they all have this same issue. Thus far the only common denominator I've seen is X1900s and Windows XP.

Comment

EDIT: the 5-hour crash-free stint was a fluke. I have no idea why I went so long without crashes. The only odd thing about that night was that I was playing in the early AM all night long...

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS

I have zero freezes now, and as frustrated as you probably are to hear this, I have no idea why. I've stayed up all night trying to figure out what I did. I've been playing for like 5 hours straight now without a single crash... Even on Deck... I've racked my brain for everything I did and although I can't reproduce the instability, it's gone...

Everything I can remember that I've done today:
                          - I installed the two latest Windows Updates for XP:
                          --------Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB960353)
                          --------Update for Windows XP (KB967715)
                          - I finally managed to get through Campaign mode despite the crashes (does finishing it change something?...)
                          - I added "-nomoviestartup" to the shortcut icon (taking it away doesn't reproduce instability)
                          - I added "bViewAccelerationEnabled=False" to my UTInput.ini (taking it away doesn't reproduce instability)
                          - I closed all unnecessary applications (rebooting and leaving them all running does not return instability)
                          --------Trillian
                          --------Windows Live Messenger
                          --------Daemon Tools Lite
                          --------Xfire
                          --------AVG Anti-Virus Free
                          - I turned off in-game chat for UT3 in xfire (turning it back on does not return instability)

I'm starting to wonder if it had something to do with xfire or MSN "notifying" me of things during the day... you know... when people get online, when they get off, etc. ...Because all night tonight from like 2AM to 5AM I have had zero problems (but zero people have also gotten online).

This is driving me nuts, but I'm determined to figure out what's happened. It's like some magic switch was flipped fixing everything. I have got to get some sleep but I'm going to continue to troubleshoot and figure this nuisance out.

Comment

Originally posted by B0T0X View Post
                            I know you're trying to help, but these basic troubleshooting questions are not helpful. I've read the entire thread and this isn't some simple Geek Squad type problem. There many different X19xx cards, CPUs, chipsets, sound cards, system RAM amounts and brands, GRAM amounts, driver versions, game settings, that users have and yet they all have this same issue. Thus far the only common denominator I've seen is X1900s and Windows XP.
                            That is because it's an ATI driver issue. Some sort of bug with just that card. Have you checked the ATI driver forums?

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
                              That is because it's an ATI driver issue. Some sort of bug with just that card. Have you checked the ATI driver forums?
                              It might be a driver problem, or it might be a UT3 problem, or it might be something more obscure, but there might we workarounds so that's what I'm trying to find :-\. I'll resume testing here in a bit to see if the instability has returned at all.

Comment

This is my opinion on the issues with the 1900 cards.

This thread should be in the ATI forums. If it was, they may have looked into this issue by now. Espiecally if the thread had this much attention. Right now ATI are 3 generations ahead of the 1900 series, so 95% of the active forum dwellers are using the 2000/3000/4000 series cards, so when they write new drivers there is most likely very little support, if any at all for the 1900 series cards.

How well is Nvidia supporting their 7 series now? I dont know, but I guarrantee that most of the support is going towards the 8800 and up.

Comment

Working...
                                X