No announcement yet.

ATI x1900 512mb cards causing game lockup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm joining in the line, I have a core2duo E8400, win XP sp3, MSI P35 motherboard and a MSI radeon HD3870X2. It seemed that I have put the crashes out with some additional cooling but now, it suddenly returned, after a few days of gameplay without any problems it started crashing again, not able to finish a single online match. Same as that dude above me, I did not changed anything in my configuration (HW or SW). I am so sad :'(

Comment

just FYI, catalyst 8.7 didn't changed anything.

Comment

Ive never had any of the problems that you guys experiance.(Said this way earlier in this thread.) The first card I used was a 1650pro512 agp on a socket 939 asus board. Needless to say, it was running pretty poor, but I never had it lock up. Just 12-15fps on medium settings. lol. Then I figured it was time for an upgrade, so I went with the Asus M2A-MVP, 480Xchipset, crossfire board, a 1950gt512 pci-e, and also a 4800 AM2. This ran 1680X1050, at about 25-35fps on highest in game settings. Still never had a lockup though. Played pretty decent, but I wanted to play in 1080p with my HDTV(1920X1080), so back for more upgrades. The next major upgrade came when I decided to purchase the 6400+ AM2 instead of a phenom, since it was performing better in 90% of the games out there at the time. So I found out that my M2A-MVP board only supported 8X PCI-E in crossfire mode, so I got a new board. The Asus M3A32-MVP 790FX Quad crossfire MoBo. I also at that time purchased 2 3870's. Now I run at about 100-130fps average. With about 300fps looking at a wall, and 60-65 in heavy firefights. Still never had any crashes/lockups/restarts whatsoever. The only common things is that all three mobo's were Asus, 100% AMD chipsets, and Sapphire video cards.

PS: These upgrades were spread out over a 1 year period. Not a couple weeks or anything. The 3800 amd single core 2.4ghz,on the 939 was the computer I had for about 2 years. It served me well. lol I also sold the previous mobo(m2a-mvp)/processor(4800 am2)/550w power supply, so the latest upgrades didnt really run a whole lot of money either. So I will wait for another year or 2 now before I make any additional upgrades.

Comment

I have 256 MB Sapphire x1950 Pro Pci-e graphics card and i still have that **** problem. Its same since game released.

Whenever i try to play Deck or Coret game freezes. It seems it happenes when you kill by a rocket or flak. Tried all catalyst drivers, all config edits but no solution.

I checked 20-30 pages in this forum, sorry i couldnt read all. Any ideas to solve this? Maybe there is a very small thing that i miss.

I wonder does Epic really want to fix this problem. A game can be bad i understand that, but when you pay money for a game i think its your right to play it.

Edit:

And maybe that gives you a lead on this problem.

Community made Deck-Fps. I never had a single crash on it. If you compare normal deck and deck-fps, maybe it helps to solve this annoying bug.

Comment

Originally posted by oakz View Post
            I checked 20-30 pages in this forum, sorry i couldnt read all. Any ideas to solve this? Maybe there is a very small thing that i miss.
            The only "solution" I'm aware of is to run it in a window instead of full screen. At least that way you can bring up task manager and kill the process when it dies.

I just played one and a quarter rounds of CTF Korruption... got about 2 minutes into the second round and got killed while driving a Hellbender. Poof, locked up solid.

I keep popping back on this thread every now and then, mostly because I'm just wondering if Epic will <b>ever</b> respond to anyone here.

You can often tell the quality of a software vendor by how much effort they put into making things right vs. how much effort they put into making something new. Epic rocked on UT2004, I can't think of a single thing they could have done better on that. They fixed the bugs, the patches were readily available and easy to apply, they released more freebie extra content than anyone could have asked for.

Dunno what happened there since then.

I'm guessing the lockups are affecting a lot of people but only a couple dozen are complaining about it so they're either just ignoring the problem or it's extremely low priority, to the point where it'll never be addressed.

It's a business, so I can at least understand not working on this bug because they can make money on something new. What I can't understand (and what they can't justify) is just leaving folks hanging here. They should either lock this thread with a final response of "we're not going to fix it" or they should respond here in some fashion. A complete lack of communications is about the crappiest thing a vendor can do.

I would have bought a couple of extra copies of UT3 so when friends come over we could have some fun with it. Instead I bought a few extra copies of UT2004 for $10 each.

Comment

Maybe you remember my posts, had a x1900xt and experienced a lot of lockups. Couldnt never really fix it :/

I bought a HD4850 and it works like a charm, no lockups and smooth like a mot.......

Comment

Originally posted by Momo View Post
                Maybe you remember my posts, had a x1900xt and experienced a lot of lockups. Couldnt never really fix it :/

I bought a HD4850 and it works like a charm, no lockups and smooth like a mot.......
                Same here, only mine was a 1950XT replaced by a HD3850 512mb.
                No more tears after that.

Comment

Still not working - Still ****** off.

I thought I would check back here after months and months of waiting since buying the game when it first came out to see if they had fixed this issue, and what a surprise they haven't.

They really have thrown the PC community to the dogs! I could have put up with this blatant console port, but when they haven't even bothered to say if they are going to address this issue or not it really does take the ****. I hope that Epic drys up and goes bankrupt, at least then there would be some karmic justice in the world.

Time to get a refund me thinks!!!!!!!

Comment

They simply might not be able to replicate the lock up issue and/or Know exactly what is causing it, for this particular card-ATI have a responsibility too, plus the end company, plus MS for the OS. UT3 was unusable with Vista 64 for me...MS issue? Though I accept a different design game, UE3 powered Bioshock seems to have had far less graphical issues,across OSs,with all due respect, what do they know at 2k games,about your engine, that you don't epic?

Comment

Originally posted by Moloko View Post
                      They simply might not be able to replicate the lock up issue and/or Know exactly what is causing it, ...
                      I stopped cutting them slack on that point quite a while back. I know threading/deadlock issues can be real buggers to find so I offered them free use (they just had to pay shipping) of an E6400/2600XT box that would reliably reproduce the problem. All they had to do was play for a short while and it'd reproduce it. They never even responded. I made the offer in this forum and in a PM to one of the Epic employees who used to post here. No response.

I don't think ATI really has any responsibility unless/until Epic could demonstrate that the problem is happening inside of a properly formed DirectX call.

I pre-ordered UT3 on Newegg some six months before it came out, paid full retail price and got what is basically shelf-ware. I (and I'm sure some others here) will factor that in the next time we see the name Epic on the outside of the box.

Comment

I have a PC with an Opteron 165 and an X1950XTX, running XP x64 SP2 and Catalyst 8.7.

No issues with UT3 for me on it, with max graphics at 1024x768 (max res of the LCD).

Comment

just for info, I told all my issues to go to hell with installation of windows vista, 32bit version, succesfuly. hope all you guys will get it solved soon. cya.

Comment

Originally posted by peppybb View Post
                            Same here, only mine was a 1950XT replaced by a HD3850 512mb.
                            No more tears after that.
                            Exactly my story too; bought a 3870 and everything just worked...at the setting I was playing on-line (1280x800, 1 texdet, 1 wlddet). I still can make it freeze at 1920x1200 + high settings while off-line after > 2 hours of play.

I also have freezes in Assassins Creed at 1920x1200 with max settings btw. Anyone know if AC is a Unreal engine title?

Comment

Rip x1950 ...

I've had an HIS X1950 AGP GPU installed since I purchased UT-3 and I've been plagued with constant crashes, lockups and green bitmap corruption. That GPU cost me £200 ($400) a year ago and today I installed a Sapphire AGP 3850 at half the cost and (once I'd got some working drivers - ATI Hotfix did it, Catalyst 8.8 vanilla did not) it's working superbly thus far. I've finally completed the 3rd Campaign mission (always crashed before) and moved onto the next one. **** good game when it actually runs!
                              Bin the X1950's, they're the weak link. The 3850 took my 3DMark score up from 3775 to 5062 too (hey ... I'm running a P4).

Comment

Oddly enough, I don't get the freeze on Deck, even with a VisionTek x1300 and "low end" system. I did, until I disabled the hardware phys-x. Now it runs fine, except for the 1/2 second lag between pressing "fire" and the actual shot appearing on the screen.

Comment

Working...
                                X