No announcement yet.

ATI x1900 512mb cards causing game lockup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes we do, we're just drained of energy after discussing it for so many months!
    It's not power in my case (no pun intended). I put a 1500W PSU in with no improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by sipifier View Post
      My problems went away after installing my 3870 (from 1950xtx). I suspect it may have been a power issue - only have a Phantom500.
      Anyway since this thread is almost dead, I guess most people don't experience the issue anymore(?).
      No, we've given up on epic fixing the issue, and have moved on to other games.

Comment

Originally posted by Gareee View Post
        No, we've given up on epic fixing the issue, and have moved on to other games.
        +1

They've got a fairly serious bug in UT3 and the only "advice" I've seen is checking power supplies and other stupid stuff - when several of us have proved with step-by-steps that it's not hardware or driver related. Anyone that has read all this thread and is still advising folks here that it might be their power supply or hardware failure is an idiot.

In this thread I offered them the free use of a box that they could reproduce the problem on at will. They never even so much as responded even when I followed up with an IM on the subject.

Looks like they've grown too big to actually worry about customers using fairly mainstream video cards.

I've been playing COD4 and Crysis and having hours and hours of fun. UT3 is now pretty much shelfware and my opinion of Epic has changed a great deal. I used to think it was a cool outfit given how generous they were with UT2004 and all the bonus stuff they released for free. Now they seem pretty much like any other software company out there, busy playing marketing games and not taking the time/effort to actually support the product once the marketing blitz has ended.

Ah well... I wouldn't have learned that you can pick up the chickens and throw them in the bad guys' faces on Crysis if I had spent more time sitting around trying to help them troubleshoot their bug. I provided good troubleshooting info and offered them free resources... not much more can be done but accept the fact they don't care enough about it to even take 30 seconds and acknowledge/accept/decline an offer of free resources.

Epic joins the bin with a few other outfits that have gotten my money in the past... they'll have to make one seriously astounding game before they'll get my $ again and even then I won't buy it until it has been out at least 6 months and the web forums don't indicate any serious unsolved/ignored bugs.

Screw 'em. There's other fun games to play out there and they don't involve the frustration of frequent lockups.

Comment

I caved in and bought a nvidia 7600gt (to replace an ATI 9800pro). It's waiting to go in now.

This is a horrible bug, hope you get a fix very soon. Good luck.

Comment

ATI x1900 512mb
            3800 CoreDuo
            2 gig mem
            Realtek onboard sound

UT3 screen freezes and sound loops for 1-3 seconds over and over. Cannot ctr-alt-del out of this error. I have to reset my system and reboot to recover. Lockup happens anywhere from 1-10 minutes after joining a match online. This happens on any CTF or Warfare map. Lockup is not tied to a death.

I have updated my drivers (clean installed). I have reloaded my system and updated. I have tried the ini tweaks. I have installed a seperate sound card and disabled onboard sound. What else? I can play any other game just fine with no problems.

Tell me there is some type of log file that records the crash instance. There has to be some way to trace this issue. The game locks up and crashes with no errors?

I did read through this whole thread with no luck.

What is the status on this?

Comment

Not that it really matters at this stage of this thread...

My X1950Pro 512MB system also has UT3 related crash errors. Usually it occurs after re-running the Editor or the game multiple times in one day.
              I find that I have to be sure to restart the system after every few hours of using UnrealEd on it, or a hard crash is surely pending.

My systems with HD3870 512MB and 8800GTS 512MB do not have this same issue.

Comment

The last time I had a recoverable error (with the 1.3 beta patch) I booted the game back up and pasted (ctrl + v) an IP I'd copied earlier in to the console. What actualy pasted was I think an error log. You could paste these to notepad I assume so I'm just putting this info out there because I didn't know this before.

Comment

Just to save folks time

Before anyone suggest trying the 8.4 version drivers - no it does not fix the problem.

I just installed the 8.4 drivers, then downloaded and installed the bonus pack. I played one round of team DM in the new map (forget the name) and then tried a CTF game on "Facing Worlds".

Within one minute of starting the game it locked up exactly the same way it always has. The frequent cause too, I entered a transporter and poof, locked up solid with ambient/background sound repeating over and over.

So when someone from Epic suggests that you waste your time installing new drivers, don't. It's still Epic's bug and not the drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Absoulute View Post
                    What is the status on this?
                    Status is "You're Screwed". Come on over here and sit down on the bench with the rest of us. You did bring donuts for all of us, didn't you?

Seriously, the thread started in late November and there has been no resolution. Figure they need 30 days to attend to the real showstopper type bugs that any moderately complex bit of PC software is going to encounter after initial release. Give them another 30 days to try and reproduce this one problem that's specific to the ATI hardware. Then give them another 30 days of head scratching and debugging to try and figure out what went wrong. Then give them 30 days to QA the fix and 30 days to get it packaged and put on their website.

That would put a fix for the bug out in the May/June time frame even if they were taking the slow boat. We're now into the 7th month after release and Epic doesn't even respond to questions about it now.

The only practical things you can do are:

1. Play it in a Window rather than full screen. That will allow you to get to task manager so you can kill it when it crashes (and it *will* continue to crash)

2. Buy a non-ATI video card just so you can play this one game.

An alternative is to do like me... just leave the game sit, pull it up once a month or so and play a few maps, then check this thread after the game locks up and poke fun at Epic for being unresponsive dorks.

It's not that I ever expect to see any response or fix from Epic in this thread... it's just a nice bit of reinforcement, a reminder on how to spend/not spend my money next time.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOldFart View Post
                      Status is "You're Screwed". Come on over here and sit down on the bench with the rest of us. You did bring donuts for all of us, didn't you?

Seriously, the thread started in late November and there has been no resolution. Figure they need 30 days to attend to the real showstopper type bugs that any moderately complex bit of PC software is going to encounter after initial release. Give them another 30 days to try and reproduce this one problem that's specific to the ATI hardware. Then give them another 30 days of head scratching and debugging to try and figure out what went wrong. Then give them 30 days to QA the fix and 30 days to get it packaged and put on their website.

That would put a fix for the bug out in the May/June time frame even if they were taking the slow boat. We're now into the 7th month after release and Epic doesn't even respond to questions about it now.

The only practical things you can do are:

1. Play it in a Window rather than full screen. That will allow you to get to task manager so you can kill it when it crashes (and it *will* continue to crash)

2. Buy a non-ATI video card just so you can play this one game.

An alternative is to do like me... just leave the game sit, pull it up once a month or so and play a few maps, then check this thread after the game locks up and poke fun at Epic for being unresponsive dorks.

It's not that I ever expect to see any response or fix from Epic in this thread... it's just a nice bit of reinforcement, a reminder on how to spend/not spend my money next time.
                      This issue doesn't affect all ATI based video cards. I did upgrade from the X1900XT 512MB to a 3870 X2 1GB and I don't have a single issue with the game. I've also seen this game running on single 3870's and 3850's without any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by JCSWW View Post
                        This issue doesn't affect all ATI based video cards. I did upgrade from the X1900XT 512MB to a 3870 X2 1GB and I don't have a single issue with the game. I've also seen this game running on single 3870's and 3850's without any issues.
                        I have reproduced it on two of my Windows based systems with three different hardware combos - X1650PRO, X2600XT (256MB) and X3850 (512MB). If you check the whole thread you'll see folks encounter the problem with pretty much every flavor ATI chipset.

It locked up on my 3850 today, immediately after a new driver install and reboot. The only common theme across my systems are ATI based video cards (from three different manufacturers: Sapphire, MSI, and Gigabyte)

There may be some systems that run it okay but there are also quite a few that don't and it doesn't seem to be restricted to certain ATI chipsets.

I wonder if yours works okay because of the xfire configuration?

Don't say it! That's all I need is more new toy temptation

Comment

The system I had my 3870 X2 running on before was on an Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus. That was also the system I originally had my X1900XT 512MB in. Once I switched to the 3870 X2, the problem was gone. I gave the X1900XT 512MB to a friend running an MSI P35 motherboard and he doesn't experience the issues I had with the same card in UT3. His brother has a 3870 512MB and his other brother has a 3850 512MB and they all run UT3 fine. The one with the 3870 is running a X38 motherboard and I'm not too sure of the other.

The problems seem to be so random when it comes to systems which I think makes it hard for them to resolve. I do agree that they need to hurry up and figure it out though because most people don't have the cash sitting around to test multiple components at home to find a configuration that works for them.

Comment

Originally posted by JCSWW View Post
                            The problems seem to be so random when it comes to systems which I think makes it hard for them to resolve. I do agree that they need to hurry up and figure it out though because most people don't have the cash sitting around to test multiple components at home to find a configuration that works for them.
                            Sigh - I just reproduced it again within 10 minutes. The Faces clone level that comes with the bonus pack seems to provoke it.

BTW, much earlier in the thread I offered them free use of my box with the X2600XT in it so they could reproduce it to their heart's content. I never even got a reply from anyone. I sent a follow-up PM making the same offer to one of the Epic guys posting here - no reply at all. So if they're having a hard time reproducing it, it's their own fault.

I'm guessing that after 8 full months they aren't ever going to fix it. It must affect a small enough number of users that they aren't concerned about it.

Sure would be nice to hear their side of the story but they don't seem to have any externally visible bug tracking system (maybe we should chip in and buy them a JIRA license or burn a CD-ROM with Bugzilla on it or something)

BTW my current rig is a P35-DS3L, E8400 with 4GB, but I also saw the problem on my E6400 rig which is an Intel D975XBX2 w/2GB of RAM. It's not like I'm skimping on hardware quality, everything is named brand and top of the line stuff. I'm not over-clocking anything, currently running a PC Power and Cooling 610W power supply and the only thing it's powering besides the motherboard is a single 500GB Samsung SATA drive. That's why I got a bit bent out of shape a few posts back when I saw someone was still trying to troubleshoot someone's power supply... it's clearly a software bug in the game or possibly in the video drivers and suggesting folks spend their time trying to troubleshoot hardware is pointless.

Like most others here, both of my systems run flawlessly with other games. I've got Crysis, COD4, HL2, HL2E2, Portal, UT2004, Prey, TF2 and others... never a single hiccup anywhere with those.

Heck even "Carmageddon 2 Carpocalypse Now" runs flawlessly on my system, and we all know what a stress test those vintage 1998 games are!

Comment

I loved that game back in the day. TDR 2000 just wasn't the same but wasn't overly bad either. They definitely need to make another one though.

All of my other games ran perfectly as well on my X1900XT 512MB. UT3 was the only problematic mess OC'd or not. I tried troubleshooting it in various different ways but nothing seemed to help. I had kept up with this thread in hopes it would of been fixed quickly but I was disappointed there. In the end, it just helped me justify wanting a new GPU and that solved the problem. Giving my X1900XT 512MB away to a friend though and having it work perfectly in UT3 on his system I just thought was a bit irritating. I literally tried everything from formatting, lowering my OC, different drivers, tweaks, etc and nothing worked for me.

Epic though really seems to be lacking with this release of UT though. UT2K4 was awesome but UT3 only seems to be mediocre. Even releasing it on all platforms hasn't helped the sale of UT3 which is pretty sad. Perhaps Epic just couldn't be bothered anymore with it.

Comment

I applied some configuration settings which appeared in this thread a while ago:

here
                                or
                                here

AFAIK

I haven't applied any patches, driver updates or configuration changes since then, but about 2 months later the game Once Again is freezing. I haven't changed anything, and the game hard locks hourly. It always seems to be after I die, but i'm sure there are plenty of posts addressing that. I bought this game for the online play. If you guys can fix this i might start playing again.

Comment

Working...
                                X