Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"It's my understanding that you can go lower with those numbers, but not higher."
    Hmm...that can be the reason of crashing all the times

Thanks to reply anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
      See if this works:

"nVidia drivers are based on a system called Unified Driver Architecture (UDA) which means all nVidia card drivers are using one driver. However for some reasons, they just remove the support for installing those drivers for some cards, and mostly laptop-based GO cards.

So, for Users with a DELL Inspiron XPS like me, download the newest Forceware here and click on "Moddet INF" too. After downloading, extract the new patch in a directory on ur HDD and move the "Moddet INF" to the folder where u have extracted the Patch. OVERWRITE the old INF. Then install the patch. Maybe u will get a error, accounting the patch cannot find a file. i skipped that and it worked."
      Sorry to reply to this so late.

I've tried that concept, and it's never brought good things with it. The latest drivers from Dell (yes, Dell) seem to work best.

Also, I've fixed the issue. I added this line to the [Engine.ISVHacks] section of UTEngine.ini:

PumpWindowMessagesWhenRenderThreadStalled=True

That fixed the problem right away. I also set bInitializeShadersOnDemand to true, though I don't think that was the solution.

Comment

Tried to play through the campaign and found another map that makes the game crash.

I can't remember the name of the map but it's the first Warfare map in the campaign (only has 1 node in between the 2 cores).

Comment

Originally posted by PALADiN View Post
          Tried to play through the campaign and found another map that makes the game crash.

I can't remember the name of the map but it's the first Warfare map in the campaign (only has 1 node in between the 2 cores).
          That's Sinkhole.

A note to everyone, I have just updated my opening post with more troubleshooting information, compiled from this and other threads on the forum, and split up the original guide into two parts.

If you know of any known tweaks or fixes that I have no mentioned in the updated guide, let me know. Thank you!

Comment

thanks for pimping the tweaker

Comment

i'm a gonna try that ut3 tweaker thing to see if the graphics improve...every time i set my resolution to a higher settin, the actual game-play resolution defaults automatically back to an ugly 640x480...checked n rechecked the quality settins n everythin checked out, but once in-game, the quality goes back to a mangy 640x480...weird.

Comment

I think if you use the -nohomedir option it stops the issue of settings being reset all the time, including inputting the CD key all the time. Try that before you try the tweaker. If that doesn't help, then take the line out and just use the tweaker and see what happens.

Comment

From Xeonshock:

The ASUS P5B Deluxe is notorious for locking the PCI-E bus at 1x instead of 16x randomly. I tweaked some settings and got the bus back to 16x. Now I'm getting the very high performance that I had before!

Comment

According to windybut you can set the Texture Detail slider to 2 in-game and it'll prevent the hitching and/or freezing in-game on some maps.

Originally posted by windybut View Post
                    For me it has nothing to do with the sound so I have not tried your fix. The reason I know this is because I disable my sound card using the device manager and the pausing still occured.

So I started to investigate this problem myself. The first thing I did was turn all the settings for the video and sound to there lowest settings. Then I seemed to have a problem with a war game on the Tolan map so I chose that map during these tests.

This ment I was testing the game out at 640x480 and although it looked ugly it worked without any pausing. I started to increase the resolution up and every test I made up to 1920x1200 worked. So it wasn’t anything to do with the resolution.

So as I had run the game for ages doing these tests I thought I would speed up this process a little. The next thing I did was to turn the Texture Detail up to 5, remember the settings are all on there lowest at this time. Now with only the texture changed the pausing started again. I thought that this was the problem. So I turned it back to 1 and then I went through all the other settings and turned them back to there Max. With only the Texture Detail set to 1 the game ran fine.

So I tried it at 2 and again all was fine. But as soon as I set it to 3 the pausing came back. So there you have it. With all the settings set to there Max and the Texture Detail set to 2 the game ran fine without any pausing.

I cannot say if this will fix your problems too but I played UT3 for over an hour last night on the Talon war game. I know it was boring just staying on that map but it hasn’t paused once since I set the Texture Detail to 2.

Comment

A great idea from EntropicLqd, to work around the issue of not being able to disable taunts or mature taunts:

Originally posted by EntropicLqd
                      As you observe, the taunt control stuff doesn't work.

On-line you have to set the "Voice Volume" in the Audio tab to 0 to remove the taunts.

Off-line you can use my Taunt Control mutator (http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=592748) to do the same thing. It's still **** that it's not supported though.

Comment

A unique problem found and solved by Churl Beck, regarding having the in-game menu get changed up, based on arrow key usage.

Originally posted by Churl Beck View Post
                        I do not use Setpoint. I am, however, reinstalling UT3.

My problem progressed to the point where I could not even use the keyboard to navigate the game menus. Instead, pressing the arrow keys up, down, left, or right would move the menu text by a pixel in that direction. With the tab key, I could cycle this behavior among the various elements of the UI. For instance, I could move the UT3 logo, then tab and move the swatch of blood, then tab and move the "logout" text, then tab and move the "exit" text, then tab and move the "logout" and "exit" text simultaneously, etc.

So I took the opportunity to rearrange the user interface a little and have provided a screenshot.

Originally posted by Churl Beck View Post
                        After reinstalling, I have an update on this bizarre bug. The reinstall seemed to have fixed all of my problems...until I copied over my old configuration files and added "-nohomedir" back to my UT3 shortcut. Then I was right back to sliding the menus around on the screen, pixel by pixel. I was able to fix the problem in two ways (1) dropping the "-nohomedir" option, or (2) copying the configuration files from "My Documents" to the UT install folder. Everything was happy again.

Delving deeper, I performed a comparison between the old and new "config" folders. In the UTUI.ini file, I found one difference that piqued my interest:

UTUI.ini
                        --------
                        [Engine.GameUISceneClient]
                        bInteractiveMode=false

I toggled this option to "true" and confirmed that it was indeed the cause of my moving menu. How it ever got set to "true" in the first place I do not know.

Comment

Ok, I have narrowed my problem down to "crashing when joining vctf or warfare" and I have 1gb of ram. Is there any other possible solution besides buying more ram? Spending another $150 just to play with vehicles is simply unacceptable.

Update:
                          bInitializeShadersOnDemand=True solved my issue. It also decreased the time it took to join a server by at least 100%. The strange thing is that I do not have an older Nvidia card, it's an 8800GT 512.

So, my new question is, what exactly is this setting doing and is it reducing my graphical quality?

Comment

Start up problem need help!!

After installing UT3 i tried to run it and the image appears on screen and then the screen goes black for a moment then a box appears stating that windows has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Does anybody know what i can do to fix the problem?????

Comment

Start up problem need help!!

After installing UT3 i tried to run it and the image appears on screen and then the screen goes black for a moment then a box appears stating that windows has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Does anybody know what i can do to fix the problem?????

Comment

Why didn't Epic put all the settings into UI?

Comment

Working...
                                X