This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is OpenAL

i'm not sure what you are talking about with OpenAL. I cant find it anywhere in the in-game menus. In-game meaning while I am playing the game.
    sorry about my ignorance but i'm new to computer gaming and just got the game.
    also, what is hitching? i'm not sure what the technical word is for my problem but my framerate could be better and it freezes about once every fifteen seconds. just a short freeze that kind of throws me off.
    i'm going to continue reading to find what other help you've already offered.

Comment

hello,

Computer is back from the shop and i have also flashed latest bios on it.
      Well, i must say that everything is running fine now.
      Except one small problem, when playing onnline sometimes i get a Timed Out from the ut3 server.
      This is only with ut3 and it happends only once or twice.
      When i reconnect i can play for longer time.
      I think this is a ut3 bug.
      And with ut2004 another small bug appeared, I have problems playing DM-Trainingday.
      It feels like lag, also when playing this map instant action.
      Have measured framerate , stat FPS, that indicates it must be running fine.
      Hehe, simpelst map is now a bottleneck for my computer.
      Large, big complicated maps are not a problem.
      Strange !!!
      What the cause is of this, i do not know.
      But for the rest computer runs superfast, also ut3 !
      I cannot whait for new patch ut3.

So, to play ut3 you must update almost everything, directX - Bios - Newest VGA drivers , etc.

Greetings to you all.
      Willem.

Comment

If you are having Nvidia's nv4_disp problem:

http://www.christopherjason.com/arti...4disp-problem/

-

[/QUOTE]

well this isnt very good fix, drivers are dated February 7, 2006 drivers version 81.98

doesnt it say in book with ut3 and in forums to use lastest drivers?

i have this problem and it only happens when i play insurgency about once a week(hl2 mod) and only got error twice in 2 mths ive had ut3 and im using drivers 1.6921 and with these i get error bsod less
        have done reading and there doesnt seem to be a confirmed fix to stop it,people have had some luck with differant fixes

Comment

Originally posted by Willem View Post
          hello,

Computer is back from the shop and i have also flashed latest bios on it.
          Well, i must say that everything is running fine now.
          Except one small problem, when playing onnline sometimes i get a Timed Out from the ut3 server.
          This is only with ut3 and it happends only once or twice.
          When i reconnect i can play for longer time.
          I think this is a ut3 bug.
          And with ut2004 another small bug appeared, I have problems playing DM-Trainingday.
          It feels like lag, also when playing this map instant action.
          Have measured framerate , stat FPS, that indicates it must be running fine.
          Hehe, simpelst map is now a bottleneck for my computer.
          Large, big complicated maps are not a problem.
          Strange !!!
          What the cause is of this, i do not know.
          But for the rest computer runs superfast, also ut3 !
          I cannot whait for new patch ut3.

So, to play ut3 you must update almost everything, directX - Bios - Newest VGA drivers , etc.

Greetings to you all.
          Willem.
          Try setting "Smooth frame rate" on. YOu can find howtos everywhere you look.

Comment

This might already have been explained, but can anyone tell me if/how it's possible to display other people's ping and time connected when pressing F1?

basically the same scoreboard as in older UT's, where you could see how long someone was connected, and his ping. surely there must be a way to display that information by changing something in an .ini file?
            much appreciated!

Comment

I've been trying for 4 hours to fix these errors:

AppName: ut3.exe
              AppVer: 0.0.0.0
              ModName: kernel32.dll
              ModVer: 5.1.2600.3119
              Offset: 00012a5b

I honestly don't know what to try next...I've tried the true False thing on the front page and such.

My specs are...

Windows XP
              Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset family = My Video Card
              0.99 GB of Ram
              3.0 GHz
              Over 100 Gigs of free space as well.

Any help is much appreciated since I've been looking forward to buying this game all weekend and it ends up not even going past the Cover Pic when you double click on the Shortcut.

Comment

How do I.... 3) Verify that your PCI-E bus is set to 16x and not 1x. Xeonshock reported that fixed his problem with erratic framerate issues.

Any input would be appreciated.

Comment

Probably in the BIOS settings
                  You can access them after you hit the power button to start your comp, but for the life of me I can't remember which key it is to load it(I'm thinking End tho)

Comment

First off, great guide, Ultron.

Onto business... I've been running the game on World and Texture detail 1. My FPS were decent; I remember one occasion on Torlan that things slowed down to almost 20, but otherwise, I got a decent number of FPS.

Today, I tried a DM on Texture detail 3, and was surprised to find that my FPS never dropped below 30. In fact, most of the time, it was at 60, with an occasional drop to 40.

I presume this is because DM maps tend to be smaller and easier to render than VCTF and Warfare maps.

So this is my question, and I fear I already know the disappointing answer... Is there a way to configure the game so that if my FPS drops below 30, the texture detail drops to 1?

I'm aware of the MinDesiredFrameRate=x under [Engine.Client] in the UTEngine.ini, but I'm fairly certain this applies mainly to World Detail effects. My current setting is 60, if my memory serves me correctly, so the fact that my FPS dropped below 60 would imply that it does not effect texture detail.

Comment

Hey gang, sorry I've been away for so long. Had a big push at work so I've been really busy. Schedule is changing soon, as early as next week, so I'll be back to try to help some more.

Special thanks to the _many_ people who have been helpful in my absence, and my apologies to anyone I have been unable to help. It's not easy in the world of PC's to get everything working all the time. Nobody's perfect, and we all know our computers aren't either. But the best advice I can give is for everyone to try to be positive and helpful to each other. And give constructive conversation to others in order to help them out.

I'll try to answer some questions.

Rhykker, there no way to automatically reduce texture detail in this game on the fly. What the engine _can_ do with the MinDesiredFrameRate option is set it to something like 30 (which is 30FPS) and that will turn off some dynamic lighting effects, as well as those decals. I'm also under the suspicion that more is turned off, but I can't recall at this time. But basically auras of light around shock balls, rockets, gunfire effects at your weapon's exit point, as well as impact flashes, all get turned off when the framerates drop below what is specified in that line. But that is for a very minor performance increase.

As far as some others, the problems given are too complex for me to have a good, accurate answer. So I am just going to fall back to the basics. Try the troubleshooting/minimal options I list in my tweaks post, and see how well the game runs, as well as disabling OpenAL. If you are still having a problem with those settings, then it's most likely: a) driver issue, b) game quirk that will need to be resolved via UT3 update, or c) you have an underlying issue with your system causing the problem, or d) your system might be underpowered, so doublecheck _my_ listed requirements in the opening post - not the ones listed on the box. Those are by no means not the only potential sources. There are a few other issues but many are already detailed in this thread.

Anyhow I'll be back within the week, gang! I can't wait for the next patch, either.

Comment

I understand that altering the World Detail slider will mess up the ini tweaks from your guides, but does the same apply for the Texture Detail slider? An earlier post suggests that it does, however I don't see why it would. Most of the ini tweaks seem to deal with stuff that would be affected by World Detail.

(Basically, I moved the texture slider and am too lazy to check through the ini to make sure all the tweaks are still in -_-)

Comment

I tested the difference between setting the texture detail slider from one side to the other, and these were changes that took place within the [SystemSettings] section of the UTEngine.ini

OnlyStreamInTextures=True or False

Trilinear=True or False

MaxAnisotropy=0 through 16

FoliageDrawRadiusMultiplier=0.000000 through 1.000000

TEXTUREGROUP_(whatever)= (MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0) through (MinLODSize=1024,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0)

That texture group listing varies by type of change, but I never recommend anyone change those manually, as doing so tends to crash the game. There might be other changes within the UTEngine.ini but I only checked out this section, most likely the greatest source of any difference in texture quality.

Comment

Hey, I just got UT3 yesterday. Unfortunately, whenever I try to change the resolution from the Settings menu and hit apply, the changes don't save. Everything else does, but the resolution refuses to change from 800 by 600.

I've got a 24" widescreen monitor capable of 1900 by 1200 and two SLI-linked GeForce 8800 GT's, as well as a quad-core processor. I've tried the "-nohomedir" shortcut fix but that didn't seem to do anything other than make me have to re-enter my CD key upon starting the game up again.

Is there any way to change the resolution of the game through the .ini files?

Comment

Did you create a Profile yet? It won't save w/o a profile, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by invirium View Post
                                Is there any way to change the resolution of the game through the .ini files?
                                First of all, go to:

\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config

The open UTEngine.ini with a text editor like Notepad.

Look for the following lines:

ResX=
                                ResY=

Set them to something like:

ResX=1280
                                ResY=1024

Exit the program and save the file. This should work, but follow old iron's advice and create an online profile first, if possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X