Graphics artifacts in ut3 retail, not in beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphics artifacts in ut3 retail, not in beta

I just installed ut3 retail and have been having some graphics artifacts during play. Large polygons simply disappear and flicker all over the screen. I've seen a similar thing happen on my old PC and it was due to overheating, but I don't think that's what's happening here. It doesn't happen in any other games, including crysis demo, cod4, hl2, portal, and even the ut3 beta. Only ut3 retail shows the problem. I've set all my graphics settings the same as I had them in the beta (1280x1024 max everything, intense shader). It only happens on some maps. Suspense, Heatray, and Shangri-la don't seem to have a problem, which is probably why I didn't have any problems with the beta.

Specs:

vista x64
    Core2duo 6600
    nVidia 8600 gts
    2 gb ram
    Not sure the version, but the video driver is less than a month old.

HALP!

Same here. Had the glitches in the retail version, thought it was overheating, but no, they don't show in either the demo or other games.

Comment

I've had that happen in the demo on Suspense

Comment

Not sure if this is the same problem you gus are having, but on my screen it looks as it there is a wall about 20 ft in front of me of flashing grayish pixels, that randomly flash on and off. I can play fine on the small maps where the walls are closer than 20 ft, but on the large Ctf maps, or maps with big vistas, its really hard to see. Anyone know how to fix this? My graphics are set to full, with the best resolution, and still nothing works.

Comment

I started having glitches when I first ran it, but then I used the nVidia nTune software, and cranked up my videocard fan speed. I thought the fan would increase in speed automatically when it got pushed hard, but I guess not. So give that a try. Worked for me.

Comment

I get the same problem, but the glitches only begin to show up under certain situations. And once they start, they don't seem to stop. So far, I've seen it happen in WAR-Downtown and WAR-Islander_Necris. It doesn't happen immediately but at certain parts of the map. I'll see if I can't get an image of the area(s) where it happens.

I have a system similar to the original poster, but I'm on a laptop.
            Vista x32 (business edition)
            Core2duo T5450
            2gb RAM
            nvidia 8600M GS (169.04 driver)

It could possibly be a driver issue. I might try one of the older drivers to see if that helps fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainZap View Post
              I started having glitches when I first ran it, but then I used the nVidia nTune software, and cranked up my videocard fan speed. I thought the fan would increase in speed automatically when it got pushed hard, but I guess not. So give that a try. Worked for me.
              No, sadly not. However, if you download RivaTuner, you can set the fan to like..
              Kick up to 80% when the GPU is 50C, and then 100% when it's 60C, or something like that. Really helps with overheating.

Also; Just because artifacts happen in one game and not others doesn't mean it's not related to your hardware. Is your video card overclocked at all? Artifacts have almost nothing to do with a game, it's your video card that's putting those up, for one reason or another.

Comment

I also have this issue. I've experienced it in WAR-Downtown and WAR-Floodgate.

After disconnecting from a server the flickering textures went away for a few minutes but then came back.

After restarting UT3 the artifacts went away for a longer time but still came back.

I also restarted my system which seemed to remove the artifacts for an even longer time.

Vista x32
                Core 2 Duo 6750
                nVidia 8800 320MB GTS (Driver: 7.15.11.6369)
                4 GB RAM

My initial thought was that this was a video memory leak but I've yet to test this. I'll try lowering the texture detail and see if it has any impact.

Comment

How do you guys explain that in the beta demo there are no artifacts and there are in the retail? It's the same map and the same settings, ffs...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Natan View Post
                    How do you guys explain that in the beta demo there are no artifacts and there are in the retail? It's the same map and the same settings, ffs...
                    Because people who report that they have artifacts, report that they have artifacts ONLY on maps that weren't in the beta.

Comment

I report otherwise then

Comment

Plus, not only is Beta and Retail two entirely different builds; they also have entirely different handles.

Comment

In RivaTuner, how do I set fan speed percentage by card's degrees? I'll try this, maybe it'll help.

Comment

Eh, just boost the fan speed up to like 85% all the time, helps keep it cool all the time rather than just certain times.

Comment

Yeah, yeah, but with an 8800GTX it is kinda too loud. You have two, you must know.

Comment

Working...
                              X