Configs not saving.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Configs not saving.

I've been having this problem since the demo: My configs will not save, video resets to default, keys reset to default, audio resets to default, my login and password wont even be "remembered". I have NO C:\Documents and settings\<user>\My Documents\My games\Unreal Tournament 3 Demo folder on any user account on my pc. I've tried taking friends' folders and placing them there to no avail. I've made fake folders in the Documents and Settings Directory, and now with the release of the fullversion at hand, I wonder if I'm going to have to re-enter my cdkey every time I want to play. Has anyone else ahd this problem? Everyone I've talked to hasn't had the problem to this degree.

Help?

[edit] I've already "used the search"

Although I've yet to have any time to try and sort it out yet, I am having the same problems getting it to remember my settings. So far it's asked me to put in the CD key each time it's loaded. If I simply logout it remembers my name and password in the boxes, but if I log back in to exit to the desktop, it forgets everything. If I can't solve it on my own soon, I'll try emailing Epic directly and see if I get back a response. I've always had good experiences with their games before on PC, so I expect that this problem won't go on too long.

Comment

the demo does that for me too - i think it is a very common bug.. on my PC is remembers the video settings though..

Comment

To hell with this. I would suggest not playing the campaign until/if this is sorted out. Idiot me just played through the first 6 missions and exited and it was gone (just like my settings) when I started up again. GG Epic.

Comment

Well do you have the My Documents and UT3 Folder as "Read Only" you better check that and make sure its not "Read Only"

Comment

Same problem:

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...5#post25105685

It won't save anything, even single player campaign. Wasted hours..

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooMaster View Post
              Well do you have the My Documents and UT3 Folder as "Read Only" you better check that and make sure its not "Read Only"
              Learn to read the OP.

Comment

This is my thread here, which details my frustration. http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=585867

Comment

bump. The problem seems to be as neillithan's link points out... I changed MY Documents' default directory, and it seems the installer won't create a ut3 folder in my documents because of that.

I wonder if a possible fix could be reinstalling the game with my documents in the default directory, and then copying over the ut3 folder unto the new 'my documents' once directories are switched. I won't be able to try this until tomorrow night though, since it takes too long to install.

Comment

I have the same problem, although in my case, the game saves the CD-key and video/audio settings. Any changes to player and input settings as well as campaign progress are lost upon exiting the game.
                    I am using Vista x64 (German, if that makes any difference) and the European multi-language version of UT3.
                    The "My Documents" folder is at its default location and the My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 folder has been created during installation.

Edit: I figured out what I was doing wrong: It seems that you have to create a profile in order to save player settings and campaign progress. Just leaving the user name and password fields empty and choosing "Play offline" doesn't work. A little warning in the game or the manual would have been nice though.

Comment

Originally posted by reaping_ant View Post
                      I have the same problem, although in my case, the game saves the CD-key and video/audio settings. Any changes to player and input settings as well as campaign progress are lost upon exiting the game.
                      I am using Vista x64 (German, if that makes any difference) and the European multi-language version of UT3.
                      The "My Documents" folder is at its default location and the My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 folder has been created during installation.

Edit: I figured out what I was doing wrong: It seems that you have to create a profile in order to save player settings and campaign progress. Just leaving the user name and password fields empty and choosing "Play offline" doesn't work. A little warning in the game or the manual would have been nice though.
                      Yea, that has been known :P

This is totally different. :[

Comment

Originally posted by reaping_ant View Post
                        Wait, I just had the same problem. Played for a god few hours, went to get some food, came back and found out I had done NOTHING!?!? Wow, never had these problems in the first games. Even budget titles do better then this.

I tried creating a profile, but now when I am forced to create some gamespy account, it just sits there. It still says... yeah, been 15 minutes, still says "creating profile." Not frozen, just not doing anything... *looks around* ...yeah...

Comment

Ok folks, I've fixed mine.

The problem is not only the path to the "My Documents" folder but how windows reads the folder. Creating a fake one means windows doesnt see it as "My Documents", and simply a folder caled "My Documents". For those who have moved their "My Documents" folder, point it back at the fake folder you created, and the install will then make the files in the appropriate location. HOWEVER:
                          If you move the My Documents folder back to where it was before the whole thing goes kaput.

Pretty. f-in. stupid.

Comment

Exactly. I cannot put "my documents" into that original hard drive; just not enough space. I'm not buying a new hdd just to do this, and this NEEDS to be fixed.

Epic Failure.

Comment

Originally posted by EG|Django View Post
                              Ok folks, I've fixed mine.

The problem is not only the path to the "My Documents" folder but how windows reads the folder. Creating a fake one means windows doesnt see it as "My Documents", and simply a folder caled "My Documents". For those who have moved their "My Documents" folder, point it back at the fake folder you created, and the install will then make the files in the appropriate location. HOWEVER:
                              If you move the My Documents folder back to where it was before the whole thing goes kaput.

Pretty. f-in. stupid.
                              Yeah, that does fix it, since you're resetting it to its default state. I'd hope there'd be a way to have it create a folder in the new "my document" path I've set myself. The reason I don't want to move the path is because I like to have the shortcuts available from the start menu, not to mention that many programs use my documents as default path too, and I have to move those now...

I hope they fix this in the near future.

Exactly. I cannot put "my documents" into that original hard drive; just not enough space. I'm not buying a new hdd just to do this, and this NEEDS to be fixed.

Epic Failure.
                              You don't have to transfer all your data, just set the path of "my documents" to the c:\doc and settings\username\my documents. If you right click on the icon and choose 'move to a different location', it will prompt you if you want to copy the files from the old location to the new one, just hit no.

lol, nice pun at the end, btw

Comment

Working...
                              X