8400 gs performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8400 gs performance?

i'm getting a new pc at christmas, everything in there is pretty good, i might need to get another gig of ram but in general its a nice machine.

but there is one feature that lets it down, the graphics cared is a nVidia 8400gs 512mb and i was just wondering how well this card would handle ut3(it has a 3.0ghz dual core pentium D 925 cpu)

i'd say you can be happy if the menu runs smooth

Comment

Thats harsh!

Using this handy calculator as a rough guide

http://www.ut2341.com/UT3SystemScore/

I'd say he was well out of the "lookit the purdy menus maw!" section and into the low detail section.

Comment

well i think im in the low-medium section with a score of 11, and i intend to play at 800x600 since im getting vista and therefore directx 10(which means anti aliasing) so i think it will definitely be playable(keeping in mind that i see 30 fps as "very good")

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Crazyhead View Post
          i'm getting a new pc at christmas, everything in there is pretty good, i might need to get another gig of ram but in general its a nice machine.

but there is one feature that lets it down, the graphics cared is a nVidia 8400gs 512mb and i was just wondering how well this card would handle ut3(it has a 3.0ghz dual core pentium D 925 cpu)
          That does not sound like a new computer, the pentium D is an older poorly performing chip. You must mean, new to you. A used PC, right? Those perform worse than most single core AMD sempron chips. They perform like $20 chips. Does it also have RAMBUS memory? That whole thing is a waste of money, is it free? If your giving money for it, even paying shipping cost is too much.

Here is a good review that shows the 8400 cannot run any game let alone UT3
          http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/...out/page4.html
          here are cheap cards and UT3 demo benchmarks;
          http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3128&p=2

Most cards are just hype, all have pretty boxes and cool names, only 8800 series cards are good for games. The others are just a waste of money.

Comment

8400GT is a low-end category card, that's what you should know. In most of the games, even those released about a year ago, you'll have to choose performance over quality. Also 512Mb of video-memory for that card is simply an overkill, especially since it has a 64bit memory bus, which makes large amounts of video RAM quite useless. Also 64-bit memory bus means huge performance drop at mid-high resolutions (practically that's everything above 1024x768).

Comment

waoh, guys, i know its a **** card but this sounds like i might as well let a monkey eat the disk

i am going to be upgrading the second i get £80 in my pocket though, unless someone knows where i can get a nice pc that will run ut3 that is IN THE UK AND NOT CYBERPOWER for £300 or less

Comment

you will not get dx10/antialiasing. you will run the game at a playable framerat, it just might look poop

Comment

well i think im in the low-medium section with a score of 11, and i intend to play at 800x600 since im getting vista and therefore directx 10(which means anti aliasing) so i think it will definitely be playable(keeping in mind that i see 30 fps as "very good")
                  If you're 800x600 why would you necessarily care about antialiasing?

Note: The 8400 GS is pretty lame. If you have the option to... buy the 8800GT for 300$... multi-fold increase.

Comment

IN THE UK AND NOT CYBERPOWER for £300 or less

Here ya go.
                    I have a moral problem with shelling out loads quids for PCs, so I don't believe in buying pre-built stuff.

You're using a PC to post this right?
                    So we know you have a case, HDD, monitor, etc..
                    So, the most important stuff for you to thin about is your proc, mobo, GFX card and ram.

Bear in mind this is just a very quick browse, but I just post this to show that you need not spend much money.

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500; 76 quid
                    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...d=6&subcat=793

Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLi nForce 650 (Socket 775); 78 quid
                    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...d=5&subcat=174

Asus GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 70 pounds (upgrade to something better in january sales)
                    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...56&subcat=1008

OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2-5400C5 Dual Channel: 69 pounds
                    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MY-087-OC

Total = 293 quid, a steal, and if you don't have vista you can flog 2Gb of that ram to me!

I've not given these components much though other than "will they fit together", so you'd be mad to just take my word for it, but for 300 pounds, and assuming UT3 is your main reason for upgrading, a setup not dissimilar to this might be a much better bet that what you were considering.

The point is, buy seperate, put together at home, save sh**loads of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil_Spawn View Post
                      you will not get dx10/antialiasing. you will run the game at a playable framerat, it just might look poop
                      i don't think it will run any near to be playabe , even if he sets everything on low and res 640x480.. the 8400GS is a freaking office card...

Comment

BIGJIM you're my hero

i think i might have to only get 2 gigs of ram because i need money for a case(all the pcs in my house currently are OLD and have horrible cases) but still you are a lifesaver

Comment

BIGJIM you're my hero

i think i might have to only get 2 gigs of ram because i need money for a case(all the pcs in my house currently are OLD and have horrible cases) but still you are a lifesaver
                          Aw.. <3
                          To be perfectly honest, it's not that hard to build a PC from scratch, the components can really only go together in one way, so unless you mistake your hammer for a screwdriver and end up smashing something you won't likely go far wrong - anyone who's added an extra hard drive, ram or whatever should be fine.

The most intimidating part is attaching your heatsink/processor, and even then only the first time you do it, just like everything that's worth-while..

I would suggest though that you check other sites for cheaper bits, I just linked to Overclockers because I have them in my bookmarks and it was convenient, I'm sure you could go cheaper if you looked a bit harder than I did.
                          Plus, You might be able to shave off some quids from the processor and maybe if you're lucky puck up an 8800 instead of the 8600 (8800 gt/s/x are well-pricey still! )

Also, I would recommend you spend a few minutes googling for known problems with certain combinations of hardware - whether you're buying separate or even a full system, because you can bet your bum that the seller (in the case of a shop-bought system) won't have bothered doing that, the internet really makes it easy to do research like that, that a few years ago would require some kind of expert to do it for ya.

Tbh I paid about 300 quid for my machine which I built for 2K4, which at the time was fairly well priced - it's pretty pathetic now, compared to what some posters are using but still, it eats 2K4 for breakfast and chugs along ok for UT3 with minimum settings at about 30-40 fps.

A64 3500+
                          ASCock 939 dual sata (AGPx8 and PCI-e x16 ports)
                          1gb ballistix dual chan DDR 400mhz
                          Radeon x700 agp
                          Tagan 480 watt PSU
                          Some generic black window case

Maybe a shade over 300 quid, but still, not bad for the time.

Comment

i've been told that eBay is a good place for components but i cant help but feel that they are a bit "dodgy". If that system you've got BIGJIM was around £300 when ut2004 was released then i cant see any reason why i shouldn't be able to get one that will play ut3 reasonably now, so thats given me hope at least, also ANY suggestions on where to buy(in the uk) would be appreciated

Comment

Cpu(2.7 ghz amd athlon 5200+ x2): 71.67 yoyotech.co.uk

Graphics Card(Radeon HD 2600 XT PCI-Express 256Mb DDR4 128Bit 2 x DVI-I DX10 Garphics Card): £65.27 saverstore.com

case+450w psu(black warrior gaming pc case): £24.75 aria.co.uk

motherboard(ASUS M2N4-SLI - motherboard - ATX - nForce4 SLI): £74.89 it247.com

memory(Kingston 2GB Value RAM DDR2 667MHz PC5300 memory (Kit of 2)): £29.73 microdirect.co.uk

Hard Drive(Acer ACER HARDDISK 160GB 8MB 7200RPM TBV ALTOS G310 - SO.HA160.G01): £28.20 ilgs.co.uk

Total Cost: £294.51

thats the cheapest i can possibly get it i think, although i'll have to use an external disk drive(because i've already got one of those and buying one to go IN the computer wuld exceed the £300 limit) but if yu think i could do better with anything, or if this stuff doesn't fit together PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE tell me!

Comment

Working...
                              X