DNS Issue ? UT3 Client Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DNS Issue ? UT3 Client Crash

I am hosting a server for my friends and I, we are not hosting from a static IP address. We instead have a DNS forward setup.

The exact issue that I am having is that from the client - if we use the DNS name, the client crashes. If we use the 4 octet IP address that the DNS name resolves to, we connect without issue.

As an example - if we type "open game.server.net", the client crashes.

If I open CMD prompt, and do nslookup game.server.net and it says the IP is 76.123.12.44

then open the game, and type "open 76.123.12.44" it connects to the server just fine. No game crash.

Here is the crash information from the log file:

Log: Browse: game.server.net/UTFrontEnd?Name=Player?team=255?Class=
    Init: WinSock: Socket queue 32768 / 32768
    Log: Resolved game.server.net (76.123.12.44)
    Critical: appError called:
    Critical: Assertion failed: bIsValid [File:.\Src\UnPenLev.cpp] [Line: 137]
    IP Addr game.server.net is invalid
    Stack:
    Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)
    Log: === Critical error: ===
    Assertion failed: bIsValid [File:.\Src\UnPenLev.cpp] [Line: 137]
    IP Addr game.server.net is invalid
    Stack:

RaiseException() Address = 0x76a9b727 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll]
    CxxThrowException() Address = 0x6d688e89 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a 1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_d09154e044272b9a\MSVCR 80.dll]
    Address = 0xbb4f92 (filename not found) [in D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe]
    Address = 0xb542f9 (filename not found) [in D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe]
    Address = 0xb5548e (filename not found) [in D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe]
    Address = 0xbd3a88 (filename not found) [in D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe]
    Address = 0xbd398d (filename not found) [in D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe]
    Address = 0x40c304 (filename not found) [in D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe]
    Address = 0xb83e9a (filename not found) [in D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe]

This happens from multiple clients with the same error message. All clients can use the IP instead of the DNS name and connect without issue. Since we have a dynamic IP, we would like to find a way to use the DNS name instead.

I understand that the easy solution is to throw money at a static IP address and give it to everyone that ever wants to play on the server. But a DNS name is easier to remember for everyone. So please, if you take the time to respond to this, please avoid telling me to buy a static IP address, or to "just use the IP instead". That is a workaround, not a fix, while a fix is what I am after.

Thanks in advance!

DNS is bound to resolve to one IP. So if you IP changes, then you should set your DNS to bind to the "changed IP" you just got.
    Sounds like double work.

For instance:

My server has a static IP of 109.201.149.221
    The DNS name is QuickNLethal__EU__Amsterdam

In my .ini files, my DNS name always searches for this specific IP.

Now, if it was Dynamic, then my .ini's would need adjustment to let the DNS search for my "new IP", over and over again.
    Thats why connecting to IP works, and to DNS doesn't. Since searching for IP's will always directly connect to your server. But the IP set to bind to your DNS would always need adjustment in the configuration .ini's if it where to change.

There is probably a code that could redirect your server.ini to let the DNS resolve to the next IP in line your server would get.
    But this would need an extra batch to execute, since its not compiled in standard scripting of Unreal Tournament 3 servers.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkn3ss is QnL View Post
      DNS is bound to resolve to one IP. So if you IP changes, then you should set your DNS to bind to the "changed IP" you just got.
      Sounds like double work.

For instance:

Now, if it was Dynamic, then my .ini's would need adjustment to let the DNS search for my "new IP", over and over again.
      Thats why connecting to IP works, and to DNS doesn't. Since searching for IP's will always directly connect to your server. But the IP set to bind to your DNS would always need adjustment in the configuration .ini's if it where to change.

There is probably a code that could redirect your server.ini to let the DNS resolve to the next IP in line your server would get.
      But this would need an extra batch to execute, since its not compiled in standard scripting of Unreal Tournament 3 servers.
      Yes, I understand how DNS works. However, the DNS record is updated automatically to match the dynamic address that my WAN IP may change to. It is not any amount of work at all. So, my original question stands, why do my clients crash when trying to open a DNS name?

Comment

What do you mean? Your ini files dictates your DNS name? That seems odd. How would the rest of the internet know that your DNS name is XYZ? Just because it is in that ini file? That is not how it works.

Comment

Sounds like double work.

For instance:

Furthermore, in my post you can see that I stated that the DNS name is resolving to the correct address. So, it is not that it is going to the wrong IP.

Comment

Steam might be the problem. Just guessing.

Comment

Working...
            X