Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by wikkid View Post
    Makes kills shown on the client.
    UTGame.ini
    [UTGame.UTTeamDeathMessage]
    bNoConsoleDeathMessages=False
    ... only clientsided

Deathmessages are actually server-sided, that's true but the value of bNoConsoleDeathMessages itself is client-sided. There's no replication of that value.
    The server calls the a broadbast which will call the following function on the client side.
    Code:
    reliable client event ReceiveLocalizedMessage
    There are several ways to force deathmessages to be shown on clients. A mutator/gamerule will be called if a specific event occurs (e.g. a death). Then by using a self-created ReplicationInfo class, you can replicated values to the client. The client has to process the "value".

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Makes kills shown on the client.
    UTGame.ini
    [UTGame.UTTeamDeathMessage]
    bNoConsoleDeathMessages=False

You would need a mutator to force clients see them or a broadcasted message.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by wikkid View Post
    I think death messages are client side, doesn't matter what you change on the server.
    Could somebody confirm this? I've seen a number of posts on various forums indicating that this is a server-side setting.

If it is a client setting, is there a way to set it up so that the server broadcasts messages triggered by certain events, such as kills/etc?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think death messages are client side, doesn't matter what you change on the server.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Death messages not working!

Death messages not working!

I'm trying to get death messages to work on my dedicated UT3 server (Linux) running Warfare. However, the bNoConsoleDeathMessages variable in UTGame.ini isn't having any effect one way or another! They're just not being displayed. Same issue on VCTF.

Are death messages on Warfare and VCTF not supported? I can't find ANYTHING in any documentation anywhere that mentions this. On Google, I found one post from someone complaining of this same issue, but the only answers he got were either incorrect or debating whether or not death messages are "good" for Warfare and VCTF.

In case any of you are wondering, let me save you the trouble of asking by asking a question of my own: Shouldn't the server administrator be allowed to decide for himself what configuration is best (provided it doesn't blow-up the server of course)? I'd like to be able to display death messages on Warfare and VCTF. Those are my favorite games but I miss not being able to see who's killing whom. Either way, please don't turn this thread into a debate on whether or not it's a good idea, ok? At least, not until we've established whether or not it can be done; and, if so, how.

That said, any help would be very much appreciated. Here's a copy of my UTGame.ini file (tried to paste here but too big, sorry): http://reddit.servebeer.com/UTGame.ini

Thanks for your help!

--Kris
Working...
X