Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 Server - Ping and bandwith

Hi,
    i am admin of a 28 players server. I noticed that beyond 22-24 players, ping increases much more. It seems that ut3 servers caps bandwith to 10KB/sec/player. However
    some maps such as vctf maps uses much more bandwith than ctf or tdm maps. (due to vehicles).
    When there are only 8 players on a vctf map this limit is reached (press F6 key)
    So i am wondering if there would be a way to increase that limit (netspeed) to 20KB/s instead of 10KB/s, maybe that would help decreasing ping?

As for an example, i got ~70-80ms ping when EPIC War server got around 10 players, but when it's full (32 players) i got 140ms! (60ms more +)

"What are the bandwidth requirements to run a dedicated server?
    - As a general rule of thumb, 100kbps is required for each player. This requirement may increase or decrease depending on advanced settings within the configuration. Note that this figure is bi-directional so you will need enough upload and download bandwidth to support the desired # of players." -- LINK

What is your server's connection speed to the 'net? If the above is correct, for 22 players, you should have an upload speed of 2200+ kbps. Generally, when running a UTx server, download speed is not the problem; upload speed is the important factor.

Comment

Originally posted by {DvT}JonahHex View Post
      "What are the bandwidth requirements to run a dedicated server?
      - As a general rule of thumb, 100kbps is required for each player. This requirement may increase or decrease depending on advanced settings within the configuration. Note that this figure is bi-directional so you will need enough upload and download bandwidth to support the desired # of players." -- LINK

What is your server's connection speed to the 'net? If the above is correct, for 22 players, you should have an upload speed of 2200+ kbps. Generally, when running a UTx server, download speed is not the problem; upload speed is the important factor.
      i got 100Mb server (max upload speed around 11MB/sec). I think that's not the problem .

Comment

I agree, you should have plenty of bandwidth, but it was worth checking.

The next thing that occurs to me is the ping times may be bogus. Responding to ping requests is one of, if not THE, lowest network priority. It could be that when the server is busy with 20+ players, its initial response to ping requests is something like, "yeah, ok, I'm busy now, I'll get back to you in a few milliseconds."

The real question, I think, isn't what the numbers are, but how is the gameplay experience affected? Even so, with the activity of 20+ players, there is a lot going on for both the server and the client to keep track of and, regardless of ping, this will affect the experience. IOW, often it is hard to sort out what is causing what to happen.

Getting back to NetSpeed... some claim that setting
        UTEngine.ini
        [Engine.Player]
        ConfiguredInternetSpeed=10001
        on the server unlocks the netspeed cap. (IOW, setting it higher than 10000) I'll guess that you would want to do the same on your client as well. However, some say that the cap cannot be unlocked.

Others say to do this:
        UTGame.ini
        [Engine.PlayerController]
        bDynamicNetSpeed=False

It would probably be good to change both settings.

Comment

Working...
        X