Protecting the server from cheaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protecting the server from cheaters

My apologies if this is a dumb question. I'm too lazy to RTFM.

Is there a quick and easy way I can be 1000% certain that my one dedicated server is protected from cheaters?

have a admin watching the server all day lol

Comment

Originally posted by boz View Post
      Is there a quick and easy way I can be 1000% certain that my one dedicated server is protected from cheaters?
      Yes: Take it down.

Comment

X-ray Anti-Cheat: http://www.xraygaming.com/index.php?pageid=xac-about

Comment

Xray is the closest thing we have.

However the software was developed by a third party and it covers many other games too and not specific to just UT3.

It is a known thing that some players can not run Xray as they might have certain hardware or software that is not compatible with the Xray scripts and thus Xray crashes or UT3 crashes.

I have asked the people at Xray about it and they simply have said that a cerain % of players cant run it. I asked if they could do more testing and revise the software and make a new build for UT3 comparability and they said no.

All it does is take random screenshots and upload them to a server for checking after, but it does not catch everything.

Comment

The guaranteed way to be 1000% sure that your server is protected from cheaters is to host the server in the core of the sun. The 17 minute lag time from the earth to the sun and back deters all but the most determined cheaters. More important however is the physical fact that cheaters cannot join servers that have been vaporized to plasma in the core of a thermonuclear furnace.

Comment

Thats where my server is... I can attest that there are no cheaters there

Comment

Another way is to use Demorec and store a Chatlog of every game. Let ppl alert you if they suspect someone to cheat. You can always use a demo file to see if someone was cheating. You decide if you think it is worth it. Maybe a slightly better way than hosting a server from the core the sun.

Comment

I always say the same thing in these threads. Even if there are in fact zero cheaters Epic should still develop an anticheat to give players confidence in the fairness of the game, and restore confidence to the community. Xray, the user has to have it installed on thier pc, to get around it, just don't install it. Valve only works against cheaters using steam. There is currently no effective way to police servers, other than to have an admin constantly watching it. Even then, clumsy cheaters are all you will catch. Smart cheaters use less obvious features... the crosshair slides off of them and you have to wrestle your mouse to shoot them, they might have radar, you can't see that, they might only use aim assist to hit shock combos while moving (good players can also do this, who is who?). Only an official Epic software release can ever cover everything, and it is not even clear that Epic can do it, due to the rapid advancements in technology. At the very least they would have to dedicate a lot of resources to it, and it's not clear they would make any money on it, regardless of how much they spent on R&D. *sigh* Perhaps in the next incarnation they will develop something that will monitor the .net framework, since that seems to be where the losers are getting in mostly. *I would also caution you to not ban people lightly, there are many very talented players who have mad skillz and are not using any enhancements. Sorry if my answer is not helpful, but the short answer is that what you are looking for does not currently exist. Also, if you place your server in the heart of the sun, even with some super hard case that won't melt, you still won't be able to communicate with it due to electromagnetic interference. Cables are impractical for obvious reasons.
                  Cheers!

Comment

sorry to go a bit off topic here but do you think its possible to cheat on ut3 ps3 version?? been cing some impossible things happen there!!

Comment

A screenshot sender can be designed into UT3 using UnrealScript. We've had trials with one on our server and it did work. I talked with Gugi (the dude who created this: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=602436) and was able to create something similar for UT3. All it does is take a regular UT3 screenshot and sends it to server using the TCP classes in UT3. It's not in a state I feel good enough to release though. I've had a few other ideas I was working on but never had the desire to fully work on it. I MAY give the source code out to someone if they feel they would care about the project more.

http://www.dfbhelp.com/0owhdgohsv_mo...32_4835_uc.jpg

We've also used demos and chat logs for a long time and it does work pretty well. We also have a logger (similar to Xray's UniqueID Mutator) that we've used to catch cheaters aliasing.

Comment

Originally posted by The Demon Slick View Post
                        ... Also, if you place your server in the heart of the sun, even with some super hard case that won't melt, you still won't be able to communicate with it due to electromagnetic interference. Cables are impractical for obvious reasons.
                        Cheers!
                        Cables are a MUST -- shielded, of course. Not only because of electromagnetic interference, but the use of Wi-Fi raises the possibility of the signal being intercepted, and compromised, by a cheater on Venus, or worse on Mercury, on its way to or from the server in the Sun.

Comment

Originally posted by {dFb}eMac View Post
                          A screenshot sender can be designed into UT3 using UnrealScript. We've had trials with one on our server and it did work. I talked with Gugi (the dude who created this: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=602436) and was able to create something similar for UT3. All it does is take a regular UT3 screenshot and sends it to server using the TCP classes in UT3. It's not in a state I feel good enough to release though. I've had a few other ideas I was working on but never had the desire to fully work on it. I MAY give the source code out to someone if they feel they would care about the project more. (
                          Hi eMac,

any news about this? I would really appreciate giving it a try, even some issues exist.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                          X