Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom maps on dedicated server--compressed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom maps on dedicated server--compressed?

My question is this... There is a redirect site with a LOT of custom maps. They're all compressed in uz3 format, however.

Is it possible to install these uz3 files directly into the CustomMaps directory and have the server use them, or must they be uncompressed prior to being used in the server?

I ask because I've only got 256kbit upload speed, and it'd take a lot of time to download, uncompress, and more importantly, re-upload to the server.

But if I can just use a shell account elsewhere on a 100mbit line and just download/re-upload straight to my server without having to decompress... Well that solves my problem.

Can the server use the uz3 files directly? (Windows dedicated server.)

Thanks!

The server should run the uncompressed files.

Compressed files stay on the redirect server ONLY

I've uploaded 5GB at 25KBPS upload speed

Comment

Any way to uncompress the files on a linux box? That's what I'm using as my retrieve/upload system. But it doesn't have a UT3 server on it, nor can I run one on the system in question. But a utility for linux that can uncompress the maps would really help. Anyone know of one?

Thanks!

Comment

UT3 Vice is to Compress and Decompress files for UT3

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...light=UT3+vice

Comment

You missed the part where it says you need game and patch to 1.2 on the system. That's a no-go on the system I'm using to transfer files. I can't run the game on the server in question.

Comment

Yup actually it's the only way i know... So i thought you may want to compress the files on your own machine then uploading them.

Comment

Right now, you NEED UT3 installed to compress or uncompress, there's no program that does this without UT3

Comment

What server do you use as redirect WarMachine?

I have all my custom maps on my server under UTGame...../custommaps folder in the raw format for the file, nothing is compressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic_Cannon View Post
                  What server do you use as redirect WarMachine?

I have all my custom maps on my server under UTGame...../custommaps folder in the raw format for the file, nothing is compressed.
                  I have a redirect space from www.xtremeredirect.com they offer redirect space for free.

All of my maps are in ...CookedPC/Maps folder.

Comment

If anyone is interested, i've made a very good and fast compressor for UT3 here
                    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...7#post27159897

Comment

Working...
                    X