GameServers Redirect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GameServers Redirect

I just noticed that as of yesterday GameServers offers a new redirect service that should make a lot of folks very happy. Here is a quote from their "news" feed:

"Sayreville, NJ -- May 21st, 2009 - GameServers.com, the world's largest game server provider, has just added automated game redirect services. At only $5.00 per month, all GameServers customer now have the option to add the redirect service to their account. Once added to your account, every subscription within your account will be activated to use the redirect services. The redirect services have been setup to include unlimited space and bandwidth. Unlike other redirect services, the entire process is automated. Once you upload the custom content to your game server, our redirect servers will automatically make them available for fast downloads!"

Thats cool, I will need to read up on it....

But why should we pay $5 more a month for something they should have provided from the start?

Comment

I looked and they do not support UT3 right now, only
      Call of Duty (all versions)
      Half Life (any game built on this engine)
      Half Life 2 (any game built on this engine)
      Enemy Territory (any game/mod)
      Killing Floor

Comment

Does their auto-redirect compress the files itself?

Though there are other server providers who give you a free redirect space and there are websites that offer a free redirect space for free without a gameserver.

Comment

I put in a ticket and asked if they had plans to support UT3 or any UT game with their new service and they said they would be updating their list as new games are added. That's not a definate yes but it sort of leaned in that direction.

Comment

Thats whats nice about us using 'Gibsworld' we control our own redirect servers (as members off our community run 'Gibsworld) and redirect is fast

Comment

Originally posted by Zeus... View Post
              Thats whats nice about us using 'Gibsworld' we control our own redirect servers (as members off our community run 'Gibsworld) and redirect is fast
              You control this one too Zeus. The files you upload to your gameserver automatically become redirected files so you get to decide what files are on your server or not. It's no different than having an external redirect but you only have to upload once instead of twice, saves a boat-load of time.

Of course there always has to be a hitch and I've already found the hitch in this deal-e-o. I set this new redirect service up for my COD clan and the speed for any client never went above 130kb/sec which is just way too slow. Lukily we still have our website redirect so we just reverted back to that. It gets between 450kb-1.5mb/sec which is what a redirect should be capable of. We've got a complaint ticket in but I doubt it does any good.

Comment

Well I was wrong, the complaint ticket did help. They gave us a new redirect address and now we are consistantly seeing around 1.5mb/sec. That's more like it.

Comment

Originally posted by JD8 View Post
                  but you only have to upload once instead of twice, saves a boat-load of time.
                  Know that sounds very cool will have to look into that when I get some time

Comment

Working...
                  X