Dealing with online cheats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with online cheats

In the last couple of days there has been this "speed hack" cheat out on public servers where the player activates it and can move so fast they can cross a map in seconds.

This one player came on a VCTF server and stayed on for hours, ruining the game for everyone, two nights in a row.

(The speed cheat seems to hack the network code because the cheater's ping goes above 450 up to 988)

There are also aimbot cheats out there.

Since it's an uphill battle putting out patches to remove the cheats, the next best alternative is to allow players to vote-kick and vote-ban a cheater off a server.

I think this should be standard procedure for all public servers.

Kick voting can be abused - But banning the player stops their return

Comment

It does happen.. A good server will be regularly manned by an admin, and they will be keeping an eye out for activities like that.
      Speed hacks tend to be pretty obvious. Botting can be harder to detect, because of how sophisticated aimbots are now. It isn't simply an On/Off thing any more.. Making cheating players almost indistinguishable from a genuinely great player.
      'Almost' because they pretty much all get caught sooner or later.

As for Kick voting, you already have the ability to do this. When in game, press esc, and make sure you are in the scores tab, right click a players name, and you should see a Kick vote option.
      But that function only came as of patch 2 I believe.

Pop!

Comment

I think a mod that can store each player's ID with their names would be helpful.. so when people report about a cheater the server admin can dig the ID's/names and ban them even if the cheater isn't playing on the server.

Comment

There is for UT3 admins, http://ut3hax.com

Comment

One effective way of dealing with them is to just let them cheat. Pretend you don't notice how they kill everything in sight and never die. Let them win over and over again until suddenly it hits them that they are getting really bored winning every game by a wide margin. They soon lose interest because they can't lose and no one is yelling at them to inflate their ego. It's like taking candy from a baby. (In this case literally)

Comment

Originally posted by [H3D]2Fast4U View Post
              There is for UT3 admins, http://ut3hax.com

Screw this site. In order to register they want personal info like your address and phone number...wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy View Post
                Screw this site. In order to register they want personal info like your address and phone number...wtf?
                I checked it out back when he opened the site and I said no way. The guy requires too much server and personal info for my comfort.

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy View Post

I made this site using an old client module, that information is NOT required.

I am not trying to be rude, but don't you read? the part that says "Fields with a * are required."
                  here is a copy paste from the create account form.

Code:
                  Full Name            Company    
                  Phone #       Fax    
                  Birth Date    [Birth Date]    website    
                  Account Settings
                  *Email    
                  *Password       Password Again    
                  Primary Address
                  Address       Apt / PO Box    
                  City       State    
                        Zip Code
                  Only items with *'s are required genius, that would be an EMAIL and PASSWORD. The others are just left over code. IF you want to let me know what state you are in, cool, that way I have an idea of the demographics.

We have at this point collected over 16 thousand players, over 14 servers. No problems with security yet, no complaints, and it works like a charm which MANY of our admins I am sure will testify to.

Ask WUP, POP, PLUGH, MAGNUM, 2Fast, Sniper, Rumple, dFB Clan admins, Multiplay.co.uk admins, NERV's ut3 public server admins, Hellfire server admins, and many more.

Comment

The create account info is laid out like this:

*Username
                    *Password
                    *Password Again
                    *First Name
                    *Last Name

Once I enter all of the info, it takes me to the screen you posted.

So I guess the question is why does it ask me for some of the same info I just provided in the previous entry? duh? Register the person and when they login give them an optional profile.

Also, the screen that comes up looks different now and is not the same as the one that I used earlier today. I could not create a profile from just entering a login and password.

Anyway, no thanks, I haven't needed it for the last year so I'm fine without it

Comment

Your email is required in case you forget your password, and to verify that you are not a web bot. The phone number was filled out by several of these people, as they are now my friends, h&ll, 6 of us are now meeting for an early summer party in two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeus... View Post
                        Kick voting can be abused - But banning the player stops their return
                        Since I wrote this I came across more real cheaters on the "Official Epic" VCTF and Warfare servers.

The same guy with the speed hack came back on their VCTF server with different lame names and kept disrupted it.

I kept reported him with each name he used. (I assume you can only display a name you set up in your GameSpy account.) All to no avail...

There is also this aimbotter named "Thr3sh" who comes on the "Offical Epic" warfare server from time to time with different names.

These people will come on the server and ruin the game for everyone until they get bored and leave.

That they have the power to do this seems to motivate them.

Since Epic obviously isn't going to be able to ban every cheater (or any cheater it seems) the only recourse is to put kick voting in place. That way players can get rid of the morons instead of hoping they will eventually leave.

Maybe Epic should put in place a "kick cheater" vote, considering kick votes can sometimes be abused.

I did some research on aimbots and radar and this one guy sells them on the internet for a number of different games, including UT3. Which means it looks like some kind of DirectX hack, not a UT package hack like back in the "good old days".

In any case, I hope something gets done, instead of nothing. Cheaters will make less people play the game and this franchise needs all the players it can get.

Comment

Originally posted by Pop! View Post
                          It does happen.. A good server will be regularly manned by an admin, and they will be keeping an eye out for activities like that.
                          Speed hacks tend to be pretty obvious. Botting can be harder to detect, because of how sophisticated aimbots are now. It isn't simply an On/Off thing any more.. Making cheating players almost indistinguishable from a genuinely great player.
                          'Almost' because they pretty much all get caught sooner or later.

As for Kick voting, you already have the ability to do this. When in game, press esc, and make sure you are in the scores tab, right click a players name, and you should see a Kick vote option.
                          But that function only came as of patch 2 I believe.

Pop!
                          It doesn't look like that option is available on all servers.

Comment

Originally posted by countzero1942 View Post
                            The same guy with the speed hack came back on their VCTF server with different lame names and kept disrupted it.
                            So there is not UTAN Ban Manager for UT3, yet? Or is there?

http://utan.tnwagroup.com/

Btw. is there admin mod or similar like UT2004 on default F4 to see aiming on players eye? And if not interesting to see aim botting cheaters it is hard to enjoy and watch pro players game without it.

Comment

You can spectate a player and jump into his 1st person view by using the 'behindview' command in the console. (you can do this clientside aswell, and demorec him if you want to) However, hud and fpv weapons are not shown.

Comment

Working...
                              X