Question for you server admins who OWN your own hardware in a DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for you server admins who OWN your own hardware in a DC

I own my own server hardware and it sits in a datacenter I have physical access to. I don't "rent" or "share" a server with anyone. I own it and administer it.

Please tell me that getting UT3 to run as a Windows service works for you? And I'm talking about it running like a *real* service would where you can actually log out of the Windows 2003 machine without having the DS process die on you.

FD Pro, when you log out, kills the service.

FD Trinity (on top of being a massively beyond-bloated pig of a .net app) throws an error when trying to create a new service (registry permissions though logged in as administrator).

This is horribly frustrating. How long have people been running dedicated gaming servers? 10 years? 15 years? And *still* not one freaking game manufacturer on the planet that I can actually think of has tackled this seemingly obvious issue.

Look for the manual and pics here to setup UT3 as a service:

http://www.dcsautomatisering.nl/Spon...5/Default.aspx

Comment

Very nice! Great tutorial with complete instructions. I will try that out as well..

Comment

Slaughter & Boz : If you find a mistake in the tutorial send me a mail, so that I can fix it.

Comment

We just got a Dedicated Box in Jan running 3 UT3, 1 UT2004 and 1 CoD4 server and we are using FD and it runs fine. We even have web access to start, stop and change the command line for each service.

You'll have better luck if you are running it on a Windows box compared to Linux.

Comment

@ 1337 Sniper what do you mean by using FD ? What means the abbrivation FD ?
            Is it software, a tool, web interface tools etc. Just asking as a admin and systeemengineer

Comment

Originally posted by {DCS} Matrix View Post
              @ 1337 Sniper what do you mean by using FD ? What means the abbrivation FD ?
              Is it software, a tool, web interface tools etc. Just asking as a admin and systeemengineer
              I think he means FireDeamon which i use too to run my UT servers as service.

Comment

Thanks [PHX]Big Deal, looked into firedeamon, it does the same thing as I use. Thanks for the info, next time someone uses FD I know its FireDeamon.

Comment

@Matrix, thanks for the very well put together tutorial. It's definitely easy to follow with ample screenshots. I appreciate the link and the effort. I used to use that utility years ago. It came with the NT4 Resource Kit (Christ! Now I'm dating myself).

@1337_Sniper, Aside from the app being slow to open (like fire it up get a cup of coffee slow), I've used it for a UT2004 server I ran in the past. For some reason on this new machine I'm getting the error when trying to create a new service. I haven't figured it out yet, but I have a feeling it's possibly related to a Windows update. I think I'm gonna have to revisit this app since that's just about the only globally used service mgr for Windows game server operators.

Thanks for the responses guys. Here's to hoping that a native Windows service will find it's way into a post Titan update.

Comment

I e-mail Epic to ask for this option. (Here's to hoping that a native Windows service will find it's way into a post Titan update) Maybe they will look into it.

Comment

Working...
                    X