Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

What exactly is a redirect?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What exactly is a redirect?

Hi guys,

I just rented a server from NFO and am thinking about adding custom maps. I keep reading all this stuff about redirecting and am assuming that it's a way to host the map downloads for clients on another server. Is this to make the downloads go faster for clients, to improve server performance, or am I completely off the mark here? It's also worth noting that I have no webspace to host custom maps aside from the server FTP that NFO provided me with. I'm assuming that this is the same PC that the server is running off of so it seems like it would be redundant to redirect to any maps that I uploaded there. Is it possible to host custom maps without a redirect and just have them download from the server itself?

I'm a bit confused, so any clarification would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    xwn

it is possible to download maps from the server directly, thats when your download goes really slow............1..................1.2............ ..........1..3.......... you get the point. a redirect server is a web server with the maps compressed.

Comment

Okay thanks!

Do you happen to know of any free webservers to upload compressed maps to for redirection? Are there any webservers that are already set up with commonly used maps that multiple game servers can redirect to?

Thanks again!

Comment

umm i think gameservers or something has a public redirect not sure of the address.
        there is a google hack to find one but thats another story.

http://uz3.gameservers.net/ut3/

Comment

Wow, they've got everything I could possibly want to redirect to there. Would I get yelled at or anything if I redirected downloads to that even though I'm an NFO customer and not a Gameservers.com customer? :P

Comment

no clue they called it public once so I would have to say no.

Comment

Hostname: ftp://redirect.gameservers.net
              Username: upload
              Password: upload
              Remote path: /ut3/

Add to UTEngine.ini:
              [IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
              RedirectToURL=http://uz3.gameservers.net/ut3/
              UseCompression=True
              ProxyServerPort=
              ProxyServerHost=

Comment

Thanks a ton guys!

Comment

waatt nice! KOTRAE!

Comment

The problem with public redirects is that there are a lot of other people using them which can make them really slow. Also you are limited to the maps that they offer (exact version). What happens if you have a rather large weapon mutator that has a u and upk file that needs to be pushed to the client and it's not on the public redirect? That's right you'll be pushing it from the machine hosting the game meaning more slow downloads and disrupted game performace. Public redirect is a last option in my book.

With all the webhosts out there competing for business these days just look around. There are webhosts for as little as a few dollars a month that will let you store many gigabytes of maps and some offer very wide bandwidth usage. For just a small amount you can speed up your redirects and keep your server running smooth. Seems worth it to me if you are serious about hosting a good game.

Also as someone pointed out earlier redirects usually have compressed files for clients to download making them faster. The problem with that idea in UT3 is that cooked maps are already compressed. Adding compressed files to yet another compressed file doesn't really gain you much in terms of further compression. Most people are seeing very little additional compression by making uz3 files for their redirects. To me the time involved compressing them is wasted when the net gain is so small. That extra 2% you saved the client in time downloading can be completely offset by using a good fast redirect.

Comment

Originally posted by Kulaa View Post
                      there is a google hack to find one but thats another story.
                      http://www.google.com/search?q=intit...ex.of+%2B+.uz3

Actually it could be useful to someone. However gameserver's one is really the most complete.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuky View Post
                        http://www.google.com/search?q=intit...ex.of+%2B+.uz3

Actually it could be useful to someone. However gameserver's one is really the most complete.
                        Of course, this only finds redirects that are publicly letting themselves be searched (or the webmaster is unaware that it is being crawled by search engines.) For example, the redirect we use on our server is not found in this way.

Comment

Unless I post the URL here .. mwhaha

Comment

Guys, i have a question about redirect, i have an FTP server software in my winxp pro machine, and i though that since UT3 has a cap at UPLOAD SPEED for downloads of the maps and etc, is there a way to configure the ftp to work as a REDIRECT?

Comment

Who hosts that mirror because I am willing to "mirror" the mirror so there is more availability.

Comment

Working...
                              X