HOW to SETUP: a UT3 server, Webadmin, AND troubleshoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOW to SETUP: a UT3 server, Webadmin, AND troubleshoot

Before anything thank you elmuerte, Crzyhomer, BIA-HOTROD, r3sistance, oldkawman1 and everyone who posted the help for me to try it and gather it and put it together.

RECOMENDATIONS: UT3Tweaker www.brad-g.com
    FOR MORE INFO: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=594723

SECTION 1: SETUPS
    REQUIREMENTS:
    A. by now you should have a GAMESPY nick and password which you create within the game.
    B. Windows PC
    C. Know where you INSTALLED your game (my is: C:\PCGAmes\UT3\)
    D. know yout LOCAL IP ADDRESS IF behind a router, for this example we'll use 192.168.1.2
    E. ENABLE or GIVE ACCESS in to the game in your FIREWALL eg: mcafee, norton, etc

PART A: THIS IS HOW I INSTALLED UT3

-runned for first time, put sereal #
    -type user and pass to login (denied bc of firewall)
    -logged in OFFLINE then shut game
    -accepted firewall to ALLOW all the time (mcafee)
    -run game again
    -set my keyboard keys, movement etc etc
    -installed LATEST patch 2.0 (currently)
    -installed UT3 bonus pack, CBP3 etc
    -runned game
    -NOTE: just to mentioned I did delete the folder \My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3
    and kept only the folder "\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC" because thats where i have my CUSTOM MAPS.

and did EVERYTHING AS STATED HERE:

PART B: THIS IS HOW TO ACTIVATE WEBADMIN FOR PC (couple changes)
    from: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=603695 by Crzyhomer

1. Install the latest patch (v2.0).
    2. Download the webadmin addon @ http://ut3webadmin.elmuerte.com/
    3. Unzip the addon into the folder you installed UT3.
    Be sure to preserve the folder structure contained within the zip file.
    4. NOW, Run the game and do as follows:
    a.login using your Gamespyid and password.
    b.do: Multiplayer/Host game/Deathmatch/
    AT BOTTOM Select "setup map cycle", then select all the maps you want have in your server/press NEXT/
    At Server: select: INTERNET
    CHECK dedicated
    Description: UR SERVERS NAME, and fill in the rest, and CLICK NEXT
    At settings:Check all you want, then click "Next"
    and last click "START DEDICATED"
    This will create a new file in your \My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config folder: "UTWeb.ini"
    5. Shut down your server (just close the window)
    Open \My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config\UTWeb.ini
    Do this by right clicking it and select OPEN WITH and select WORDPAD from the list.
    7. Make the following change to the file under [UWeb.WebServer] and change the BOLDER RED "bEnabled" to "true" AND put the port "LISTENPORT" you wish to use to connect to webadmin
    ListenPort=8001 <-- example of webadmin port
    MaxConnections=18
    ExpirationSeconds=86400
    bEnabled=true
    ServerName=YOURlocalIP (for this example lets say its 192.168.1.2, remember this is for PCs behind a router)
    8. Save this file, AND REPEAT STEP 4.
    This will create a new file in your:
    \My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config\ folder: - "UTWebAdmin.ini" if not then just copy the "DefaultWebAdmin.ini" found in that same place. Rename it to "UTWebAdmin.ini"

9. Shut down your server (just close the window)
    10. Open \My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config\UTWebAdmin.ini in a text editor
    Do this by right clicking it and select OPEN WITH and select WORDPAD from the list.
    11. ADD the following BOLDED, RED COLORED changes under the "[WebAdmin.QHDefaults]" Section, LEAVING a SPACE, as shown:
    [WebAdmin.QHDefaults]
    GeneralSettingsClass=WebAdmin.GeneralSettings
    AdditionalMLClass=WebAdmin.AdditionalMapLists

[WebAdmin.BasicWebAdminAuth]
    RequireUsername=Admin

12. Save the file.
    13. Open \My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config\UTGame.ini
    14. ADD "AdminPassword=YOURPASSWORDHERE" under the "[Engine.AccessControl]" section as shown:
    [Engine.AccessControl]
    IPPolicies=ACCEPT;*
    AdminPassword=YOURPASSWORDHERE
    15. Save the file.
    16. Repeat step 4
    17. Test WebAdmin functionality by opening a web browser and typing:your LOCAL IP address
    in this example using http://192.168.1.2:8001 and press enter. NOW if you want to access your webadmin from outside your house, use your external ip and make sure you open port 8001 or whichever you use in your router.
    18. Login using the following info:
    - username: Admin
    - password: [YourServerAdminPassword]

thats all, just FAMILIARIZE yourself with it.

NOTE: from now on you dont have to open the game to run the server
    just type this in "RUN" (do this by: clicking on START then RUN)

C:\PCGames\UT3\Binaries\UT3.exe Server DM-Deck?game=UTGame.UTDeathmatch -login=GAMESPYNICK -password=GAMESPYPASSWORD -unattended

then just login using WEBADMIN and make anychanges you like

YOU CAN ALSO CREATE A BATCH TO START THE SERVER, LOOK IN THIS POST FOR HOW TO DO IT.

PART C: TO allow UT3 server to show in the server list using Verizon Fios internet and the router MI424-WR REV D

Ok, i must remind you that in order to be sure i was right in every aspect, i did:
    1. reinstalled windows
    2.did EVERYTHING ABOVE (followed my own direcctions)
    3.NOW I RESETTED THE ROUTER to factory settings
    4. ALL I DID was set DMZ rofl!

and it works!

PART D: HOW TO INSTALL AND MAKE WORK A UT3 DEDICATED SERVER ON AN OLDER PC with OLD VIDEO CARDS

RECOMENDATIONS: I honestly with all my heart ASK YOU to install the WEBADMIN
    from ELMUERTE which I earlier explain how to do it in this POST.

1. Download the ut3_dedicated_server_windows.rar from whichever link
    from http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=585414
    2. Install it, if your system does not meet requirements you MOST LIKELY
    WILL GET an error AT THE END OF THE INSTALLATION. click SEND TO MICROSOTF
    or whatever you like. the installation should finish ASKING to restart or not.
    Go ahead and restart.
    3. Download SwiftShader_Demo.zip, you can search it at GOOGLE.com
    Now extract the D3d8.dll, D3d9.dll & SwiftShader.ini INTO the
    folder "BINARIES" where you installed the game, e.g: C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3 (Dedicated)\Binaries
    4. Now open the UTEngine.ini file in your "\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config"
    and do the following changes:

[Engine.ISVHacks]
    bInitializeShadersOnDemand=False change this to "True"
    DisableATITextureFilterOptimizationChecks=True
    UseMinimalNVIDIADriverShaderOptimization=True
    PumpWindowMessagesWhenRenderThreadStalled=False "change this to "True"
    5. Install the LATEST PATCH (at this point was 1.3)

6. MAKE A BATCH FILE:
    OPEN NOTEPAD, and copy this or add your own info (I RECOMEND TO DO THIS
    just so you get to get the server to work YOU CAN LATER DO ANY CHANGES
    FROM THE WEBADMIN UTILITY FROM ELMUERTE.):

Code:
    :one
    C:
    cd \PCGames\UT3D\Binaries (this is where you installed the game upto the binaries folder)
    ut3.exe Server DM-Deck?Game=UTGame.UTDeathmatch?GameMode=0?Mutator=UTGame.UTMutator_WeaponReplacement?Numplay=2?MaxPlayers=18?NumPublicConnections=16?NumPrivateConnections=1?MinNetPlayers=1?TimeLimit=35?GoalScore=20?BotSkill=3?bIsDedicated=true?bUsesStats=true?ForceRespawn=0?bShouldAdvertise=true?PureServer=1?bAllowJoinInProgress=true?AdminName=Admin?AdminPassword=YOURGAMEADMINPASSWORD -Login=USERIDfromGAMESPY -Password=PASSWORDfromGAMESPY -Log=myserver.log -unattended
    copy myserver.log RUNUT3.bak
    goto one
    THEN I saved it to my BINARIES folder in my installation as RUNUT3.BAT AND created a shortcut to my desktop BY right clicking it, click "SENT TO" THEN "DESKTOP (CREATE SHORTCUT)"
    NOW all I have to do is DOUBLE CLICK this short cut to start the server, then login using the WEBADMIN from ELMUERTE, and make all the changes i want from it.

NOTE: DUE TO THE FACT that my computer is a little older, the SERVER TAKES IT TIME TO LOAD UP, but it WORKS!

SECTION 2: TROUBLESHOOTING
    IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH UT3 AFTER INSTALLATION with: HARDWARE, DRIVERS, ETC READ:

UT3 PORTS:
    *Added few more since i got the GAMETRACKER TO WORK

FIRST OF ALL i removed DMZ and openned these ports and it workded INSTANTLY:

UDP Any -> 6667
    UDP Any -> 8777
    UDP Any -> 9777
    UDP Any -> 8000 <---Webadmin
    UDP Any -> 6500 <---GAMETRACKER
    UDP Any -> 13000
    UDP Any -> 42292
    UDP Any -> 27900
    UDP Any -> 7777-7788
    UDP Any -> 27000-28000
    UDP Any -> 29900-29901
    TCP Any -> 27000-28000
    TCP Any -> 29900-29901
    TCP Any -> 7777-7788
    TCP Any -> 27900
    TCP Any -> 42292
    TCP Any -> 13000
    TCP Any -> 8000 <---Webadmin
    TCP Any -> 6500 <---GAMETRACKER
    TCP Any -> 9777
    TCP Any -> 8777
    TCP Any -> 6667

ONE THING I recomend is making a FULL BACKUP, here is how:

1. INSTALL WINDOWS: Before reinstalling windows, run Defragmentation
    2. then reinstall everything (if its no big deal to you, save your stuff somehow, external HD or another HD, otherwise good luck lol)
    3. Once Operation System(OS, Windows) is installed, install OEM(original) drivers: (NOTE: DO NOT UPDATE THEM YET!) Mainboard or
    Chipset drivers, Video Card, Sound Card,Mouse, Antivirus, etc, etc, install ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE,
    4. With that program make a FULL SYSTEM backup onto a different PARTITION or harddrive (it will only take 15-20 mins)
    Why? you might ask, because if anything goes wrong you can HAVE your system back WITHOUT UT3 in less then 15 mins instead of waisting 1-5 hours
    reinstalling everything.
    5. THEN install UT3 and try if it works without any patches
    Then add UT3 PATCH 1.3

6. -***PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR NEXT OPTIONS:***-
    A. If it RUNS, BUT SLOW! then I want you to install UT3Tweaker www.brad-g.com,
    Once installed: MAKE A BACKUP of your files (top, "backup/restore"), SAVE, then press the TURTLE IMGAE(buttom) on the right to set BEST PERFORMANCE.
    B. If it runs SMOOTH, then still try option A, to see the difference
    7. If that works, GREAT! then try to UPDATE all your drivers ONE BY ONE, and see if UT3 works after EACH update.
    8. If you have any issues like, graphics too fast, etc, etc, THEN you'll know that the NEW DRIVERS are part of or are the problem
    8. If after Certain update you have issues and dont seem to find a way out, use ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE and restore and repeat everything UPTO your problem
    9. IF ALL THIS DONT WORK, then USE ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE, and RESTORE your system, THEN update all your drivers, etc, etc, and THEN install ut3
    BUT! USE AS A SERVER LOL or something else, SORRY you would have to make some upgrades to your machine.
    10. Again THIS would take about 5 hours if you do the ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE PART.

NOTE: I have tried this soooo many times to help ppl out so im not guessing.

-STEAM UT3 NOT WORKING ON MULTIPLAYER?

The solution for this problem was to USE THE ORIGINAL DVD
    see: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=613031

-CANNOT CONNECT TO A SERVER?

The Solution for this problem was to NOT USE WEIRD Characters in your login name, in this case his name had colons ":"

see: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=613295

-UT3 DON'T WORK AFTER INSTALLATION?

There are many of these where the situation are different here are few recomendations:
    1. After uninstalling the game, save all the files from here: "\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published"
    to another place, and then remove entire folder: "\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\"
    2. Reinstall the game
    3. Try to run it, if it works great go to next step, if it dont let me know.
    4. Update to latest patch 1.3 currently and try then, if it works do next step
    5. Now add the contents you saved on step 1 and see if it works. IF IT WORKS you are GOOD to go!

-UT3 DON'T WORK AFTER REINSTALLING IT TO A DIFFERENT HARD DRIVE PARTITION?

1. If you have installed custom Maps, Characters, etc save this folder: "\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\"
    2. Then Basically just make sure you DELETE the UNREAL TOURNAMENT 3 folder and all its remaining contents that are found here: "\My Documents\My Games\"

-CAN'T LOGIN IN UT3?

I haven't found a defenit solution, BUT I Recommend you make sure you have
    ENABLED access in ALL FIREWALLS in your PC
    HERE WE GOT A WORKAROUND:
    1. Install XFIRE www.xfire.com and install it
    2. and then JOIN any UT3 server, XFIRE WILL ask you for USER and PASSWORD, use it, and you should be in!
    3.DONE!

see: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=613646

-UT3 FREEZING? SLOWS UP? OR SIMPLY WANT BEST PERFORMANCE?

1. IN WINDOWS: right click your hard drive, go to properties, then click on HARDWARE, at the bottom click PROPERTIES, and on the next window that pops up go to POLICIES and select "optimize for quick removal" which means you have disable WRITE CACHE.

2. Install UT3Tweaker www.brad-g.com (look at top for link)
    Once installed: MAKE A BACKUP of your files (top, "backup/restore"), SAVE, then press the TURTLE IMGAE(buttom) on the right to set BEST PERFORMANCE. to get a better idea of what im talking about look at image:
    http://aycu14.webshots.com/image/428...5618946_rs.jpg

-CANNOT INSTALL UT3? KERNEL32.DLL PROBLEM?

This was my issue when i tried to install the game or UT3 dedicated server:
    Code:
    at the end of the installation i get two errors, i click SEND SEND to microsoft, and then i get the FINISH COMPLETE. BUT IT DOESNT WORK. i also tried installing the game itself and i get the same error. 
    this is the error:

AppName: ut3.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: kernel32.dll
    ModVer: 5.1.2600.3119 Offset: 00012a5b
    the problem was the VIDEO CARD,,,just tooo old, so i followed the instructions from these two posts:

Code:
    http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...+install+crash
    http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=600571
    1.install it, after the crashes the installation still finishes
    Code:
    "Here is how to fix it:
    Download: SwiftShader_Demo.zip google for it
    Extract / Unzip SwiftShader_Demo.zip to any folder,
    THEN Copy D3d8.dll, D3d9.dll & SwiftShader.ini into:
    C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3 (Dedicated)\Binaries
    or wherever you installed the UT3 dedicated server"
    3. and thats it! just run the server with BATCH (thats the best way)
    and eventually add WEBADMIN to control it.

NICE,

two questions tho:

is your lan static IP or are you using the dhcp on the fios router? (when you did the port forward did you use the pc name on the network or the local ip?)

Also this is for a dedicated server. What if you just want to host a game with a password and have a few buddies jump on?

Comment

I will answer this later today bear with me, im at work lol was up till 2am last night and will answer those questions

but in advance:
      DMZ host
      PLUS the ut99 settings (which are already in the router)
      but like i said i will make a full cover on this later today
      Its not static ip
      and for the password etc, you'll love elmuerte webadmin, its all done from there

Comment

so i got it to work, good luck all any questions post them here

Comment

I tried most settings, although I have no intention of running a webadmin dedicated server. I am only trying to host a listen server - no go.

I forwarded all ports on my actiontec router to the ip of the PC with UT3.

I set stunserver=stunserver.org to stunserver= (nothing)

Making stunserver blank actually removes the UT3 DMZ error, however my friends still cannot connect. Even if i set the pc to the DMZ it still doesn't work. I have also turned off windows firewall.

I pretty much have not touched the game in a few weeks now because being able to host and play games amongst friends privately was a big part of the UT experience for me. I appreciate everyones assistance, but its funny how each user has a different way to get it to work, which means its a crapshoot. How come Epic has not chimed in on this? They are too busy doing the xbox version I bet!

Comment

bro, i would be more than happy to help you, but msg me, add me to msn, or xfire, once fixed you can delete me if you want, but if you want to fix it, let me help you.
            -uhm let me see, if you have no intention of running webadmin, then you just dont know what you talking about, its the BEST, FASTES WAY to work around with ur server.
            -its also a way to know you are doing things right.
            -I never mentioned anything about stunserver, if you do what I did here, then YOU'LL get ur thing to work.

Comment

Thumbs up

Comment

Here is one problem where just An idea help find a solucion:

Originally posted by unrealkry View Post
                From: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=613295
                I came to a resolution for my problem. Turns out you cannot have custom characters in your login name. I wan't to thank Dii_Phantom for asking me to make a short video concerning my problem, and Midway Support for resolving it. If it wasn't for Dii_Phantom I'de probably be in the same spot right now!
                Thanks.
                I'm glad i could help

Comment

Originally posted by cisco0623 View Post
                  I tried most settings, although I have no intention of running a webadmin dedicated server. I am only trying to host a listen server - no go.

I forwarded all ports on my actiontec router to the ip of the PC with UT3.

I set stunserver=stunserver.org to stunserver= (nothing)

Making stunserver blank actually removes the UT3 DMZ error, however my friends still cannot connect. Even if i set the pc to the DMZ it still doesn't work. I have also turned off windows firewall.

I pretty much have not touched the game in a few weeks now because being able to host and play games amongst friends privately was a big part of the UT experience for me. I appreciate everyones assistance, but its funny how each user has a different way to get it to work, which means its a crapshoot. How come Epic has not chimed in on this? They are too busy doing the xbox version I bet!
                  It was very straight forward and always the same procedure using a linux dedicated server. There are subtle differences depending on what router you have as they are all different. The actiontec router was a bit of a challenge as it was so different than any i had used previously. I cannot help with the listen sever part, only to point out that it's likely a windoze settings or router setup issue you face. I can only suggest that you write down in detail everything you try so you do not duplicate what you have already attempted. It's always best to only make a single change before you test if it works. If you make more than one, they may cancel out the solution.

Comment

OLDKAWMAN1, just to point out, i have fios 15/15 actiontec,,,,and it worked just fine for me and i provided in details how i did it. cisco0623 never came back so its all good.

Comment

ty phantom, i was unable to login to ut, still cant BUT we got a workaround by loging through XFIRE while i wait for this to get fixed.

Comment

you got your server to show in list by dmz?

what does that mean, that doesnt amke much sense if you dont know what it means

Comment

I have updated this. Like I said, as I go and learn new tips I will add them HERE.

I really appreciate all the HARD WORK and time other ppl put in to help other people out.

CHEERS! and GOD BLESS!

Comment

great topic!
                            gg

Comment

ok instructions to install on a remote dedicated server?

Would all steps be the same except i would unzip on my local machine, then ftp the files to the remote server into the same folders on the remote box, and follow the same procedure (eliminating the parts that have to do with a local machine only)??

any help for remote install appreciated! thx

Comment

Working...
                              X